Top sports statistican: Connors best in open era. Borg 2nd. Fed 3rd. Sampras 14th. - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #31
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond reputeselyoink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top sports statistican: Connors best in open era. Borg 2nd. Fed 3rd. Sampras 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
http://www.yokozunatennis.blogspot.ie/

this is where you find true definition
Agreed, an exceptional site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death
i add value to mtf. mtf needs me far more than i need mtf. i have even been offered money (a small monthy salary) to hang out and chill at a couple of other forums.
selyoink is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #32
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top sports statistican: Connors best in open era. Borg 2nd. Fed 3rd. Sampras 14th

Why is there even a thread for this garbage? Sampras is 10x the player Clowners was.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
23 consecutive slam SF
3/4 slams on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards
Proving the haters wrong...priceless
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #33
country flag Tag

Tag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond reputeTag has a reputation beyond repute

atrocious list

almost as bad the ATP in general
Tag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #34
country flag acefreely

acefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond reputeacefreely has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe some people would take this list seriously. How does this even get reported? Obviously this "doctor" knows nothing about tennis and his model is flawed. If you put garbage in your computer model you get garbage out.
acefreely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #35
country flag Julián Santiago

Julián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeJulián Santiago has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Oh no, a site doesn't agree with some people. It's author must be dumb, stupid and brainless....
If you put Lendl 10th when he won 8 GS (11 times runner up), was number one for 268 weeks, won 5 TMC (4 RU) and won 94 titles, it`s a stupid list.

By the way, there is no way Connors is ahead of Federer in a statistical ranking. And no way Lendl is behind of Djokovic (!!!)

Last edited by Julián Santiago : 06-25-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Julián Santiago is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #36
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwy View Post
Oh no, a site doesn't agree with some people. It's author must be dumb, stupid and brainless....
Who in their right mind would put Connors ahead of Federer or Sampras?
6) Rosewall 7) Agassi 8) Lendl 9) Connors 10) McEnroe
Top 10 favourite all-time list
1) Federer 2) Safin 3) Agassi 4) Sampras 5) Edberg
6) Lendl 7) Haas 8) Hewitt 9) Connors 10) Becker
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #37
country flag LaFuria

LaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond reputeLaFuria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
How many slams has Federer won the past 5 years? His first 5 year slam main competition was against: Hewitt, mid thirties Agassi, Nalbandian, Roddick, Baghdadis, Safin and even lesser players. The came Nadal, who could not win a slam off clay till 09, then Novak who did not reach his peak till 2011. Pete had Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Chang, and Courier among others to contend with. The Connors-Borg- Lendl McEnore era was also much tougher than Roger's 03-08 as well as the 09-13 period.
Err...In the past 5 years, a declining Federer has won 5 slams, which is only 1 less than the current world number 1 has in total. And while the death of fast surfaces started under the nose, it's peaked since then. The average age of a professional tennis player is 26.5, Federer is 31, and regardless of what you think he was in his prime, he is clearly not the same player he was then. The last time Federer was anything close to a complete player was 2009 - and he's still won 2 slams since then! There has been 5 slam winners in the past 100 to win over the age of 30, and they were before the game became the athletic grindfest it is today.

And speaking of past their prime, Hewitt still looks better than most of the tour despite not being anywhere near his prime in years. Even Nalbandian had moments of brilliance in the past few years despite being over the hill and out of shape.

Also, Baghdatis is closer to age to Nadal than the generation you are talking about. He peaked early. If you are going to play that game, you can mention a player from Federer's generation who was a nobody until recently - Ferrer.

I don't consider Federer anything close to the GOAT and I'd take the 90's and both early and late 80's over the mid 2000's, but Federer, Safin, Hewitt, Roddick, Ferrero and Nalbandian only wish they were younger, they'd clean up nowadays. Hell, second rate players like Gonzalez and Davydenko probably could have won a slam had they been a little younger.

The last 5 years have been the nadir of tennis history.
LaFuria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #38
country flag Pirata.
the pirate queen.

Pirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond reputePirata. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RForehand View Post
This gif
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
How many slams has Federer won the past 5 years? His first 5 year slam main competition was against: Hewitt, mid thirties Agassi, Nalbandian, Roddick, Baghdadis, Safin and even lesser players. The came Nadal, who could not win a slam off clay till 09, then Novak who did not reach his peak till 2011. Pete had Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Wilander, Chang, and Courier among others to contend with. The Connors-Borg- Lendl McEnore era was also much tougher than Roger's 03-08 as well as the 09-13 period.
Oh, come on. Sampras had Wilander? Whatever did Wilander do in Sampras' years that merits mention? He never even reached a slam QF after AO 1990, and was ranked outside the top-40 for all of the 90s. You're just trying to pump up the era's supposed difficulty by throwing in players with name recognition here.

Federer's competition was in no way easier than Sampras. The fact that Pete had more old stars that hadn't got as far as retirement yet doesn't make his achievements greater. Just contend yourself with equal.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #40
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

This thread A weaponless clown like Connors ahead of Fed and Sampras. Too good.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
23 consecutive slam SF
3/4 slams on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards
Proving the haters wrong...priceless
Honestly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #41
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

Connors had a better backhand and return than fed. And a better bowl hair cut....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #42
country flag blank_frackis

blank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond reputeblank_frackis has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of exaggerated whining about this, but if you read the Conversation article he's pretty open about how the model might be biased towards Connors. That's how statistical models work - you make a hypothesis, measure it then see how it could be improved. At least there's some actual objective methodology here instead of just plucking names out of thin air.
blank_frackis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #43
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
Connors had a better backhand and return than fed. And a better bowl hair cut....
Sharapova has a better return than Connors...at least she needs to return 190+ kph serves from Serena unlike Jimbo
latso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #44
country flag sportstennis
Banned!

sportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond reputesportstennis has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic?
sportstennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #45
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportstennis View Post
Djokovic?
Maybe if he quits tennis and goes into gymnastics, he can be part of any all time great list
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote