Nick Kyrgios - Yes He Canberra - Page 23 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #331
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nick Kyrgios - Yes He Canberra

Broken again. I fear this will not last much longer. Oh well, getting a MD win was anyway above expectations
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #332
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
He must find a way to deal with Cilic's serve otherwise this match will be over in straights.
Cilic did serve well, too good for Nick unfortunately, winning 64 62 62. Nick seemed to lack energy and penetration.
Hope his injury is minor.
Good tournament for him, great result, great experience.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #333
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Cilic was rock solid in this match. Kyrgois has good intent and that's all I care about at this stage. Never better than having a young, talented Aussie with drive and hunger to succeed.
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #334
country flag Audacity

Audacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond reputeAudacity has a reputation beyond repute

Basically what I expected from this match. Really happy that he won a match here. He is close to the top 200 now, which is great - should be able to play challengers regularly. Onwards and upwards...
Audacity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #335
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, he's pretty much gained significant experience. I see him as a favorite in the junior draw even if clay is not his best surface. Quinzi gained experience in Futures, while Nick won a Challenger and a match on a professional GS draw against a Top 100 player.
Slasher1985 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #336
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

After an awful start, losing his serve to love in the first game of the match, he competed very well for the first set and start of the second. Intensity went away and lost concentration - barely won points for patches. Cilic was solid, his level didn't dip at all and wasn't forced to raise at all either.

Nick's serve is already pretty great, but you could see the difference notably between his and Cilic's second serve. Cilic's has far more margin and kick, and better placement. His movement isn't great either, laterally or moving forward. ROS was pretty woeful overall, tbh. I could understand his logic - stepping in on the second to cut off the width and kick of the serve - but he was 1-2m inside the baseline for some of those returns and it rarely went his way. Especially on the ad court where a lot of his returns, of the second serve, where framed, mistimed or dumped half way up the net. His forehand is huge though, and his serve will become an even bigger weapon. His BH wasn't so consistent.

Cilic was obviously a class above though, most notably in concentration and consistency - but that's to be expected from a junior against a senior. Good signs are that he's already hanging with these guys pretty well (Stepanek for 3 sets, Cilic for the first set) and he still has so much room to improve.

Really impressed overall.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #337
country flag AussieAdz

AussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond reputeAussieAdz has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty fair assessment from Dmitry. Will say though I have seen a fair bit of Nick over the past 18 months, he was not at his best last night. His backhand was probably 20% worse than usual, though Cilic pressured him beautifully into making some of his mistakes. That being said, 2nd top tier match in your career against World Number 11 with a hamstring complaint and no clay tournaments as lead in, I will take 4,2 and 1 most days of the week.
AussieAdz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #338
country flag xkyrgios

xkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAdz View Post
Pretty fair assessment from Dmitry. Will say though I have seen a fair bit of Nick over the past 18 months, he was not at his best last night. His backhand was probably 20% worse than usual, though Cilic pressured him beautifully into making some of his mistakes. That being said, 2nd top tier match in your career against World Number 11 with a hamstring complaint and no clay tournaments as lead in, I will take 4,2 and 1 most days of the week.
It was 4, 2 and 2...

No excuses but nick wasn't at his best at all today. Fought hard though and I was proud of that. Routine forehands that he usually begins to dominate points off, were missed and as you pointed out above heaps too many backhand errors too. These popped up more after the hammy agitation - but conditioning is all part of the game. He will be back. This was an awesome experience for Nick, and regardless of whatever negative criticisms are out there, he once again showed his character and what he is capable of this week. He isn't a person I would doubt and I look forward to the rest of the year.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #339
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkyrgios View Post
It was 4, 2 and 2...

No excuses but nick wasn't at his best at all today. Fought hard though and I was proud of that. Routine forehands that he usually begins to dominate points off, were missed and as you pointed out above heaps too many backhand errors too. These popped up more after the hammy agitation - but conditioning is all part of the game. He will be back. This was an awesome experience for Nick, and regardless of whatever negative criticisms are out there, he once again showed his character and what he is capable of this week. He isn't a person I would doubt and I look forward to the rest of the year.
I hope you're not pissed at me I was just trying to fill in a few members who might have missed the match on how Nick's game is looking. I was probably a little harsh to be honest, but only because in a match you can't help but compare players against eachother and he was playing the World #11. Probably a bit unfair to compare him to Cilic with where both are at in their career.

You've probably mentioned this before, but who is Nick's coach and is anyone from Tennis Australia heavily involved in his development?

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - KIRILENKO - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #340
country flag xkyrgios

xkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond reputexkyrgios has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
I hope you're not pissed at me I was just trying to fill in a few members who might have missed the match on how Nick's game is looking. I was probably a little harsh to be honest, but only because in a match you can't help but compare players against eachother and he was playing the World #11. Probably a bit unfair to compare him to Cilic with where both are at in their career.

You've probably mentioned this before, but who is Nick's coach and is anyone from Tennis Australia heavily involved in his development?
Not at all pissed! you said it how it was.

Simon Rae is coaching nick at the moment and has been, since about the start of the year so they it's an understatement to say they have been working pretty well together. Tennis Australia is in charge of Nicks scheduling and training at the moment so I guess it's fair to say they are heavily involved.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #341
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt there are any negative criticisms of Nick out there. He played well, optimised the opportunity given to him. I thought that DVs summation was fair and balanced.
The kid has game, has ticker, needs good governance and Rae will be good for him.
Hope Nick and Rae both have some influence over TA's scheduling, which has been utterly hopeless for some players.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #342
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
I doubt there are any negative criticisms of Nick out there. He played well, optimised the opportunity given to him. I thought that DVs summation was fair and balanced.
The kid has game, has ticker, needs good governance and Rae will be good for him.
Hope Nick and Rae both have some influence over TA's scheduling, which has been utterly hopeless for some players.
They are in the General Messages thread I started, but it's part and parcel of Nick succeeding. One of them was about Nick's grunts, personally I like that aspect of his on court demeanor as he grunts at the same times I do on court. That is, on important points when you need to concentrate even more. He also grunts to assert himself, like when he ripped that forehand inside in winner on game point to get on the board in the first set.

Nick gets to rest up now and use his main draw experience in the junior comp next week.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #343
country flag xkyrgios

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
They are in the General Messages thread I started, but it's part and parcel of Nick succeeding. One of them was about Nick's grunts, personally I like that aspect of his on court demeanor as he grunts at the same times I do on court. That is, on important points when you need to concentrate even more. He also grunts to assert himself, like when he ripped that forehand inside in winner on game point to get on the board in the first set.

Nick gets to rest up now and use his main draw experience in the junior comp next week.
There are in the thread that StatRacket points out above. Mainly concerned with movement (which will be improved with time in the gym and overall development). But there are other stupid ludicrous claims like he hits with no topspin. LOL nick rips his forehand with heaps of topspin which is why he can hit it so hard and keep it in. The grunting and the emotion is part of his game, love or hate it. I think its an awesome aspect of his game and fits right in with his energetic and fiery character. Regardless of what is said, it was his first slam, he is 18 and the first set and start if the second was competitive against Cilic - with nick not playing at his best.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #344
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
PARIS, FRANCE: Australian Open Champion Nick Kyrgios (AUS) will be looking to claim his second grand slam of 2013 when the Roland Garros Junior French Championships get underway in Paris on Sunday. Kyrgios heads an excellent field in the boys’ singles, with 19 of the world’s top 20 competing.

Kyrgios has been concentrating on the Men’s Futures circuit since his win in Melbourne, winning one event and reaching the final of another, in addition to the Sydney Challenger title he won in February. Kyrgios was also the recipient of a Wild Card into the mens singles event this week, reaching the second round by defeating Radek Stepanek (CZE) in straight sets.

Other challengers include world Number 2 Gianluigi Quinzi (ITA) who has had an impressive 2013 so far, capturing the Grade A Copa Gerdau clay court title in Brazil and reaching the final of 3 Men’s Futures tournaments.

Johan Sebastien Tatlot will be looking to become the first French boy to win the singles title since Gael Monfils in 2004 and has shown impressive form on clay, including defeating Quinzi for the Grade 1 Banana Bowl title in Brazil in March.

Alexander Zverev (GER) is the form challenger after he became the youngest ever winner of the Grade A Trofeo Bonfiglio clay court title earlier this month. Other players who have posted strong performances in their recent junior circuit events include Laslo Djere (CRO) and International 18&U ITF/GSDF Team to Europe member Wayne Montgomery (RSA).
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/new...s-entries.aspx

Draw: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sc...s/bs/r1s1.html
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #345
country flag Ace20

Ace20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond reputeAce20 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it going Nick

Tsonga | Raonic | Dimitrov | Nishikori | Janowicz | Tomic | Sock | D.Y. | Harrison Bothers | Thiem | Kyrgios

Peliwo | Khachanov | Ymer Bothers | Kokkinakis | Coppejans | K. Edmund | Coric | Quinzi | Garin
Djere | L. Broady | JWH | Saville | Milojevic | Tatlot | Couacaud | Tiafoe | Mmoh | Kozlov | Rubin | O. Luz
Ace20 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote