bashing players - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bashing players

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadosan View Post
For what it's worth - probably not very much -I agree with Alex and Castafiore. An old thread from 2006 or thereabouts got bumped the other day, and it was almost a shock to recall that there was a time on MTF where threads existed that discussed tennis rationally. The guys were in some cases still poking fun at some things, but it wasn't the mean, spiteful kind of verbiage that now passes for trolling.

I think it is instructive that you're seeing less and less of the Stebs kind of poster in the last couple of years.
I agree with you that the site would benefit from reducing these sorts of attacks on players. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to implement this. the tricky part is to do it without unnecessarily restricting people's freedom to post what they want.

But hopefully someday we'll have an effective way to reduce player bashing on this site.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
Can you give examples of "bashing" posts that you think should be against forum rules? Maybe quote some in this thread if it's not too much trouble.
Raging,
I can but I don't want to mention specific posters/posts. However there were posts, they go something like this:
'Fed is gay and ugly, Mirka is just a cover, who would marry a fat ugly cow?'
'Nadal's IQ is 50, an average gorilla is smarter than him'.
'Nole's family is primitive and retarded. Bunch of primitives from the third world country'

No, I don't want more censorship. I just wish that some posters are more civil. Think about it this way, how would you feel if someone is insulting your family, calling you names, telling you how stupid you are etc. IMHO, that's bashing.

I don't have a problem with that that mug thingy per se. If a guy says 'Player X is a mug because his BH was horrible, his net play was bad, he made 25UE, 10 DF etc', I'll go with it because we are actually talking about tennis.

Last edited by Alex999 : 04-30-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!  
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
Raging,
I can but I don't want to mention specific posters/posts. However there were posts, they go something like this:
'Fed is gay and ugly, Mirka is just a cover, who would marry a fat ugly cow?'
'Nadal's IQ is 50, an average gorilla is smarter than him'.
'Nole's family is primitive and retarded. Bunch of primitives from the third world country'

No, I don't want more censorship. I just wish that some posters are more civil. Think about it this way, how would you feel if someone is insulting your family, calling you names, telling you how stupid you are etc. IMHO, that's bashing.

I don't have a problem with that that mug thingy per se. If a guy says 'Player X is a mug because his BH was horrible, his net play was bad, he made 25UE, 10 DF etc', I'll go with it because we are actually talking about tennis.
O.k. I understand what you mean.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #19
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Bashing professional players has always irked me. I'm not entirely guilt free from this though. The first one or two years I was here, I bashed some players which I have certainly regretted for in the past several years. These are professional players here we are talking about, everyone in the top 500 would most likely easily beat anyone on MTF, but people talk so much shit about some players on a daily basis you would think we had some of our own top 10 players here at MTF.

I think the mods should definitely make things a little more strict with how posters act. If MTF became quite professional at least in GM to the point where we could consistently generate great tennis conversations and debates without the usual crap we see from , then MTF would certainly move up in the forum world for tennis IMO.

While it is definitely difficult to pinpoint what is offensive or not especially since some people can just being saying things in jest rather than trying to taunt specific fan bases or whatever, I think MTF should try to enforce stricter rules on posting etiquette. So many people claim MTF is already too policed, but I have always felt as though MTF has been under-policed.. I've been a member for hundreds of forums, from video games to golf and I've always felt MTF could be much more professional. I mean seriously, when video gamer forums have less trolls, better etiquette, stronger discussion, etc than a tennis forum, I think that is a little embarrassing to be quite honest. Not the fault of MTF's mods, I mean it is the posters obviously first of all, but definitely adjustments are needed to create better discussions.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #20
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
I agree with you that the site would benefit from reducing these sorts of attacks on players. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to implement this. the tricky part is to do it without unnecessarily restricting people's freedom to post what they want.

But hopefully someday we'll have an effective way to reduce player bashing on this site.
When someone posts something over and over with the same stuff only to aggravate fan bases, that is definitely one thing to point out. The Magician or Topspindoctor both do this heavily (Nadull/Muger in every sentence, etc). Slowly but surely these posters do end up getting sufficient bans (and permabans) but IMO more could be done.

I think the easiest way to point what is offensive, is imagining if the ATP players themselves read all of the messages. Constructive criticism and such will never be ridiculed, but allowing posters to consistently post rubbish and create hateful names of players over and over shouldn't be tolerated as much as it seemingly does.

Last edited by HKz : 05-14-2013 at 03:19 AM.
HKz is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
While it is definitely difficult to pinpoint what is offensive or not especially since some people can just being saying things in jest rather than trying to taunt specific fan bases or whatever, I think MTF should try to enforce stricter rules on posting etiquette. So many people claim MTF is already too policed, but I have always felt as though MTF has been under-policed.. I've been a member for hundreds of forums, from video games to golf and I've always felt MTF could be much more professional.
I have to agree with that. I've seen enough sports forums to know that MTF is very liberal and rather under-policed.

But judging on the lack of substantial reply from the current moderators, I'm not expecting any changes.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #22
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

I have now outlined our proposal for a new rule against bashing players here.

Please provide your feedback about this new rule here.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
country flag Goldenoldie

Goldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond reputeGoldenoldie has a reputation beyond repute

Having been in position as Appeals Moderator less than 2 weeks, it has already become clear to me that there is a certain amount of subjectivity in the application of the rules and policies, and I do not expect the new rule to be any different. However this is less of a problem now that there is a public defender to assist in achieving consistency.

It will be hard for some posters to change the habits of a lifetime and become more civil about players they dislike or do not respect, but if even just the worst insults can be removed it will be a good thing.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
country flag Jelena

Jelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond reputeJelena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenoldie View Post
Having been in position as Appeals Moderator less than 2 weeks, it has already become clear to me that there is a certain amount of subjectivity in the application of the rules and policies, and I do not expect the new rule to be any different. However this is less of a problem now that there is a public defender to assist in achieving consistency.

It will be hard for some posters to change the habits of a lifetime and become more civil about players they dislike or do not respect, but if even just the worst insults can be removed it will be a good thing.
I didn't need the appeal mod to know that, but thanks for pointing it out publicly.

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #25
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, I can see your point in wanting to make sure that MTF does not alienate people by being too harsh on players. I completely agree that attacks on players' families are uncalled for. I also completely agree that any post which is racist, homophobic or otherwise demeaning to a particular group of people should not be tolerated.

But at the same time, a lot of what makes people come back to the site every day is the ongoing 'banter' they have with other groups of posters. There have been times where I have literally laughed out loud at a good piece of player bashing.

I think that the present rules are sufficient to encompass the extreme cases of abuse. Everything else is just a matter of taste and I am pretty sure people are quite good at dealing with obnoxious posters by simply avoiding them anyway and not 'feeding the trolls'.

Just my two cents.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread