News & Articles about Grigor - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #196
country flag Spirographus

Spirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond reputeSpirographus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News & Articles about Grigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
Which is funny when you think about it.

As a native English speaker, I have to say Grigor's English is excellent. Unlike many of the other players who stop & start a lot when they are speaking in English, Grigor is extremely fluent and has a very good vocabulary.
Grigor's defining years were abroad (I think 14+), which explains the fluent English. Additionally, now on the tour he probably speaks English all the time, save for a few Skype conversations with his family/friends - he has no permanent compatriot arond him. He even has a slight accent when speaking Bulgarian...

What I don't like is his repetitive (we call them "parasitic" in Bulgarian) phrases like "I mean" when he gives interviews. He should pay attention and avoid these in the future. But this has nothing to do with language and everything to do with the way his brain works...
Spirographus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #197
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

Good article on Grigor

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/tenn...ederer-moniker

Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov is emerging from shadow of 'Baby Federer' moniker

Quote:
Last week, Grigor Dimitrov was the talk of the tennis world.

On Tuesday, the Bulgarian battled cramps in the ATP Tour's longest three-setter of the year to stun world No 1 Novak Djokovic in the second round of the Madrid Open.

It was the 21 year old's first win over a top-five player and Bulgaria celebrated the occasion, with one of the newspapers in the country claiming that Bulgaria had found a "new hero after Hristo Stoichkov", a former football superstar.

"Grigor made us proud to be Bulgarians," said Stefan Tsvetkov, president of Bulgaria's tennis federation. "It's an incredible win and it can only be compared with the victories of our national [football] team in 1994."

"Very happy for young Dimitrov, such a charismatic player to watch!" tweeted Rob Koenig, an ATP commentator.

A day after his win, Dimitrov was the talk of the tabloid world after his romance with women's world No 2 Maria Sharapova became official.

That love angle is certain to bring a lot more attention to the world No 26, but he is probably used to the limelight after earning the tag of "Baby Federer" following his triumph at the 2008 Wimbledon and US Open as a junior.

The game's connoisseurs have been waiting for his success on the men's tour since, and this could be the year that Dimitrov steps up.

Leaving the Mouratoglou Academy in France for Magnus Norman's Good to Great Academy in December, Dimitrov reached the final in his first tournament of 2013 before losing to Andy Murray in Brisbane.

He did not perform to expectations at Sydney, the Australian Open and Zagreb, but has picked up his game since and stretched Rafael Nadal to three sets in the quarter-finals at Monaco last month.

"I had kind of rough matches in the past weeks, so it gave me, of course, a lot of confidence, even though I lost them," Dimitrov told CNN's Open Court television show earlier this month.

"I felt quite good about myself and the way I was progressing."

In the same interview, Dimitrov also urged people to stop comparing him with the Swiss 17-time grand slam winner.

"Of course we have some similarities here and there," he said.

"I'm flattered with that and actually, I thought it was really cool at the beginning. But with time, I've realised what I am.

"I'm trying to build up my own style and when I'm on court, I do my own shots. I think that's eventually what everyone will see."
Hypnotize is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #198
country flag Hypnotize

Hypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond reputeHypnotize has a reputation beyond repute

SI Mid-term grades. Grigor gets an A+

http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/13/madr...roger-federer/

Quote:
Everyone who wants to get out of Roger Federer’s shadow: A-plus.

Meanwhile, Grigor Dimitrov, aka “Baby Fed,” upset No. 1 Djokovic 7-6 (6), 6-7 (8), 6-3 in the second round. Dimitrov’s breakthrough performance was the match of the week and one I’ll remember simply because the 21-year-old prodigy won by overcoming all of his weaknesses. He didn’t succumb to cramps or get tentative in crucial moments. After watching him double-fault away opportunities against Djokovic and Andy Murray in Indian Wells and Miami, respectively, it was good to see Dimitrov step up and play a thoroughly professional match.

Also, he got to make out with Sharapova. So that seems like a good week for the guy.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #199
country flag Hypnotize

Another good article on Grigor. I really like the last paragraph.

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/207122.html#

Quote:
'Baby Fed' making a name for himself

The Next Big Thing: no other sporting accolade is as much a blessing as a curse. What starts out as the greatest compliment quickly becomes an even greater burden - a standard it is possible only to meet, and never quickly enough. For Grigor Dimitrov, the Bulgarian world No. 26, it is a tag that has trailed him since he was 16 years old.

Ever since Dimitrov won junior singles titles at Wimbledon and the US Open in 2008, he has been tipped for the very top. His coach Peter Lundgren declared that "he is better than Roger Federer was at his age" - and having worked with the 17-time grand slam champion early in his career, his 'Baby Fed' endorsement stuck fast.

Such notoriety does have its perks - a wildcard at Queen's in 2009 saw him reach the second round before bowing out to Gilles Simon. His entry into the Wimbledon main draw that year (awarded for his 2008 junior triumph) was curtailed in the second round by a knee injury. But imagine trying to live up to that mantle? The constant monitoring of your career trajectory, the added criticism, the glare of the spotlight before the plaudits have been earned in the traditional way, with victories and titles. You can't blame him for wanting to downplay the idea of being Federer's heir apparent.

"You know, all the comparisons, I definitely want people to stop with that," he told CNN in early May. "Of course we have some similarities here and there. I'm flattered with that and actually, I thought it was really cool at the beginning.

"But with time, I've realised what I am. It's something that is definitely not what the other person is, so I'm trying to build up my own style and when I'm on court, I do my own shots. I think that's eventually what everyone will see."

"I'm flattered and actually I thought it was really cool at the beginning - but with time I've realised what I am"
Grigor Dimitrov

That said, can he blame us? Watch Dimitrov play a set and the similarities with the most decorated grand slam champion in the men's game are hard to ignore: the balletic movement across the court, the devastation he is capable of with that forehand and a backhand that is all but a facsimile of Federer's, the elegant anachronism that has been as much a statement stroke for the Swiss as his undoing over the years, particularly on clay. Their serves may look markedly different - and you've never seen Roger try this - but Dimitrov's ability to conjure the odd moment of magic do little to distance him from the man many regard as the greatest player to pick up a racket.

Results, however, will - and as Federer would tell Dimitrov, there's no better way to make a name for yourself than to beat the very best. In 2001 the Swiss beat defending champion Pete Sampras at Wimbledon, a result that left him in tears on Centre Court. Just last week Dimitrov cried after toppling world No. 1 Novak Djokovic at the Mutua Madrid Open (so much for doing away with the Federer parallels), a result that led to an outpouring of hero worship from his countrymen and comparisons with Bulgaria's greatest sporting legend of modern times, Hristo Stoichkov, winner of the Golden Boot at the 1994 World Cup.

"Grigor made us proud to be Bulgarians," said Stefan Tsvetkov, president of the Bulgarian tennis federation. "It's an incredible win and it can only be compared with the victories of our national team in 1994."

Now for some perspective. For all his heroics against Djokovic in the second round in Madrid, Dimitrov went out in the next round, losing to beaten finalist Stanislas Wawrinka. Two weeks earlier he had given Rafael Nadal a scare before going down in three sets in the quarter-finals of the Monte Carlo Masters, a performance he followed with a first-round exit at hands of Tommy Robredo at the Barcelona Open. He does not yet have a title to his name and has reached just one ATP Tour final, losing to Andy Murray in Brisbane at the start of the season. Winning matches is only half the battle for any tennis player; winning consistently is what sets the best apart.

Perhaps of greater concern is the cramping that he battled against both Nadal and Djokovic. Dimitrov is 21 and, unlike Murray and Djokovic at a similar age, his physique has already filled out. Like the world No. 1 and No. 3 the onus is now on him to ally his game with fitness levels that will see him go the distance - and not only over three sets, but five. At the same age that Federer won his first Wimbledon title (sorry, Grigor), he is yet to go beyond the second round of a grand slam.

But the tennis landscape has changed in the decade since Fed's 2003 triumph. Dimitrov is the youngest player in the world's top 50, one of just three players under the age of 23. It is harder than at any other time in the sport's history for youngsters to break into the upper reaches of the men's game, and those that do have a tendency to stick around. At 21, time is on Dimitrov's side, and with his clay court performances this season there's no doubt that he is capable of reaching the second week at Roland Garros this year.
Richard Gasquet's experience in the spotlight from a young age should serve as a cautionary tale for Grigor

Can Dimitrov take the next step and cement a spot in the world's top 20? That ought to be the minimum he expects of himself in 2013. In Rome on Tuesday he faces Richard Gasquet, a man whose career path ought to serve as a cautionary tale for the young Bulgarian. He too was destined for greatness - the champion a nation has been waiting for. He excelled in the juniors and at the age of 15 became the second-youngest player to play at the French Open. In 2003, when he was still just 16, a French Tennis Federation official skipped Federer and simply twinned him with Mozart.

When Gasquet hadn't swept all-comers by the age of 18, however, the tide of public support turned on him. There were titles - on every surface by the time he was 21 - but not enough to silence his critics. He was injury-prone, weak-willed and a quitter in their eyes - one pundit even compared him to a microwave, such was his habit of suddenly going cold after a hot streak. Gasquet is an established top-10 player with nine titles to his name, but - deserved or not - for some he will always be the personification of unfulfilled promise.

Great talents, Carl Jung wrote, are the most lovely and often the most dangerous fruits on the tree of humanity; they hang upon the most slender twigs that are easily snapped off. Grigor Dimitrov is such a talent - a player who can produce the impossible with a racket in his hand. He is not the next Roger Federer, any more than he is the next Richard Gasquet, Andy Murray or any other player you care to mention. He is, however, one of the most captivating players in the game right now, a bundle of ambition, invention and potential. He's got a shot at reaching the top. Just don't call him baby.

Last edited by Hypnotize : 05-15-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #200
country flag Etcetera

Etcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotize View Post
http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/207122.html#
''At the same age that Federer won his first Wimbledon title (sorry, Grigor), he is yet to go beyond the second round of a grand slam''
This is not true. Federer was a month away from turning 23 when he won his first Grand Slam(Wimbledon). So Grisho has 11 months left if we are to compare them. Of course, Federer won his first Masters series at 21 and was going far in GS and MS and won other ATP tournaments.

I think next 12 months will be very telling whether he is a ''Gasquet'' or a big champion like Federer.If he is like the latter, he needs to make the top 10 by the end of the year and reach at least a quarter final in a GS(Wimbledon or US Open).Every great player has won something big by the age of 23 (I am not saying he must win a GS title but at least a MS). Now is his time to shine. Go Grisho !

Last edited by Etcetera : 05-15-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Etcetera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #201
country flag riff

riff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond reputeriff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
This is not true. Federer was a month away from turning 23 when he won his first Grand Slam(Wimbledon). So Grisho has 11 months left if we are to compare them. Of course, Federer won his first Masters series at 21 and was going far in GS and MS and won other ATP tournaments.

I think next 12 months will be very telling whether he is a ''Gasquet'' or a big champion like Federer.If he is like the latter, he needs to make the top 10 by the end of the year and reach at least a quarter final in a GS(Wimbledon or US Open).Every great player has won something big by the age of 23 (I am not saying he must win a GS title but at least a MS). Now is his time to shine. Go Grisho !
things still have to change for this to happen
riff is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #202
country flag xavihernandez

xavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond reputexavihernandez has a reputation beyond repute

no federer was a month away from turning 22...
he is born 81 and won wimbledon 2003
xavihernandez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #203
country flag Etcetera

Etcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond reputeEtcetera has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavihernandez View Post
no federer was a month away from turning 22...
he is born 81 and won wimbledon 2003
Indeed you are right. I dont know why I got confused. So he is behind schedule big time compared to all the greats. Anyway, with the talent he's got, he has to go deep in GS regularly and hopefully win a few.
Etcetera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #204
country flag Cecig

Cecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond repute

Mouratoglou post this on Twitter:

http://www.bfmtv.com/sport/mouratogl...er-512638.html

https://twitter.com/Ce_Giovanniello
Cecig is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #205
country flag Emiliq

Emiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond reputeEmiliq has a reputation beyond repute

WOW GRIGOR,JUST WOW http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...ov-Raonic.aspx
Emiliq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #206
country flag Hypnotize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliq View Post
It's good that they are promoting the young players like this. Grigor's photo is easily the best out of all of them.

Amazing photo by Theo Wenner.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #207
country flag Cecig

Cecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond reputeCecig has a reputation beyond repute

New Article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...povas-man.html

Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #208
country flag Cecig

Quote:
Dimitrov has been a focus of the paparazzi lately. When asked what he thought about them, the good-natured Bulgarian responded with a laugh, “Well, they've got to live, right? It is what it is. It will happen, so gotta be ready. Next time I'll wave maybe.”
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...k-Kyrgios.aspx

Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #209
country flag Cecig

Quote:
How would you rank in the sexiest tennis player contest?
Dimitrov:" Why are you asking me?How can I put myself out of the top 3 then?" jajaja

Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #210
country flag Hypnotize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecig View Post
Dimitrov:" Why are you asking me?How can I put myself out of the top 3 then?" jajaja
Great response but where is this quote from?