Vote to select the new appeal moderator - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Please select from among the following members

Freak3yman84 26 11.56%
viruzzz 78 34.67%
Jverweij 22 9.78%
The Bulldog 40 17.78%
djokovicgonzalez 35 15.56%
Mark Lenders 68 30.22%
Punky 44 19.56%
Goldenoldie 84 37.33%
Prodigy. 21 9.33%
Wing Man Frank 9 4.00%
orangehat 31 13.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #76
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vote to select the new appeal moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I'd just like to point a few things out, some things that I personally believe have made this process (of electing the appeal moderator) unfair.

Firstly, why was the thread left open? Was there any need for discussion to take place? I personally don't think so. All it did was invite certain posters in to try and influence to vote for a certain candidate. I'm in no doubt that this appeal moderator won't be required often, but it's a reasonably serious position, and hence the process of choosing who assumes the position should be serious, itself. The reality is, it hasn't been serious. I really wish we had the data to see when people voted for a particular candidate, because it's quite clear that there was a huge influx of votes for two particular candidates, after some bits if campaigning. Now is that really on?

In my opinion, a better way to have handled this process would have been to invite the candidates to write a short piece on why they should be the appeal moderator. Frivolous applications, yes there were a couple, should have been dismissed without going any further. Then the thread should have been closed, people read what each candidates have to say and consequently vote for the one they value the most, no funny business like we've had.

Responding to Goldenoldie's post about choosing a 'compromise', really? Is that what you would have wanted if you were in the position of either viruzzz or Mark Lenders? I don't think so. There are two ways to sort this out. You either make it fully democratic, whoever gets the most votes wins. Or the moderators and administrators decide. A hybrid between the two, which is what you are more-or-less suggesting, is just not on.

I have no idea whether Federer in 2 meant to cause so much chaos here, but he's ruined this. I highly doubt that viruzzz garnering over forty votes in less than forty-eight hours is at all natural. People should have been left to their own free will to decide.

I personally voted for Mark Lenders, he's the best candidate here. Why did I choose him, you might ask? Well, of course he has more than his fair share of fun in certain threads, but he's one of the most intelligent posters on this forum, he, in my opinion, would have the ability to judge each case that gets brought to him solely on its merits. When the situation calls to be serious, Manuel can be serious, and very helpful. I don't like to criticise other candidates, and this means nothing of my opinion on them as people, I really like all the candidates, and appreciate their posts. However, I feel viruzzz is perhaps a little too 'nice' to do this job. We need someone who can be, when the time and place for it comes, ruthless. I'm very fond of Punky, too, but I have the same reservations about her. You could perhaps say the same thing about me, and I wouldn't disagree with you, *even if, at the same time, I wouldn't want to agree with you!

Just my thoughts, feel free to dismiss them.
Great post, especially the bolded bit. The same happened with goldenoldie, who went from one of the least voted posters to a likely winner with a bit of public campaigning. Federer in 2 ruined this by turning it into a popularity contest, yes, but goldenoldie campaigning for himself isn't any better - only instead of eight screwed candidates we now have 7 - he most definitely would not be a compromise candidate

This post reinforces my belief that if there should be a 'compromise' candidate it should be you
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #77
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federer in 2 View Post
Tell me about it.

What's next, rutinos horacos and nick the greek going toe to toe for site-owner role?

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #78
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Great post, especially the bolded bit. The same happened with goldenoldie, who went from one of the least voted posters to a likely winner with a bit of public campaigning. Federer in 2 ruined this by turning it into a popularity contest, yes, but goldenoldie campaigning for himself isn't any better - only instead of eight screwed candidates we now have 7 - he most definitely would not be a compromise candidate

This post reinforces my belief that if there should be a 'compromise' candidate it should be you
You should just keep it quiet. Out of you, Goldenoldie and viruzzz, you were the only one who voted for himself.
Despite that you're losing, don't be a sore loser now.

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #79

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathless Mortal View Post
You should just keep it quiet. Out of you, Goldenoldie and viruzzz, you were the only one who voted for himself.
Despite that you're losing, don't be a sore loser now.
Out of curiosity, do you still believe campaigning has no effect on voting trends - ie goldenoldie's rise from one of the least voted posters to potential winner in 24 hours has nothing to do with him starting to publicly campaign?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #80
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Alright it's pretty obvious Lenders is the best for this job. Despite his 'trolling', the guy is extremely intelligent and objective. I'm sure his Ferrer hate wouldn't effect any of the decisions he would make as an appeal moderator, and it's unfair to put him at a disadvantage because of that.

argument.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Alright it's pretty obvious Lenders is the best for this job. Despite his 'trolling', the guy is extremely intelligent and objective. I'm sure his Ferrer hate wouldn't effect any of the decisions he would make as an appeal moderator, and it's unfair to put him at a disadvantage because of that.
Thank you for your kind words man, but please please remove that sig. I don't want any public campaigning for me. If two wrongs don't make a right, much less three wrongs

Thanks for your support, but really please remove that sig
Old 05-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #82
country flag ProdigyEng

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words man, but please please remove that sig. I don't want any public campaigning for me. If two wrongs don't make a right, much less three wrongs

Thanks for your support, but really please remove that sig
Sorry man, just thought it was unfair that two other candidates in here had public campaigning, whilst you didn't. Before those public campaigns started you were well in the lead so I just thought it was fair to get you back in the running . I'll remove the sig now.

argument.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #83
country flag Deathless Mortal
♤23♤

Deathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond reputeDeathless Mortal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you still believe campaigning has no effect on voting trends - ie goldenoldie's rise from one of the least voted posters to potential winner in 24 hours has nothing to do with him starting to publicly campaign?
Stop looking for excuses, this is not another Del Potro thread.

Quote:
Other candidates are intelligent as well. Do you agree?
And most of them are not trolls, unlike Lenders as you admitted yourself, so having objectivity as an argument to get people vote for Lenders is kinda useless, don't you think?

"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #84

Quote:
Sorry man, just thought it was unfair that two other candidates in here had public campaigning, whilst you didn't. Before those public campaigns started you were well in the lead so I just thought it was fair to get you back in the running . I'll remove the sig now.
Thanks I appreciate it, but it'd not feel right to have an unfair advantage over 7 other candidates. Thanks for the votes and the kind words though, not only to you but all those who voted for me

Last edited by Mark Lenders : 05-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #85
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd just like to point a few things out, some things that I personally believe have made this process (of electing the appeal moderator) unfair.

Firstly, why was the thread left open? Was there any need for discussion to take place? I personally don't think so. All it did was invite certain posters in to try and influence to vote for a certain candidate. I'm in no doubt that this appeal moderator won't be required often, but it's a reasonably serious position, and hence the process of choosing who assumes the position should be serious, itself. The reality is, it hasn't been serious. I really wish we had the data to see when people voted for a particular candidate, because it's quite clear that there was a huge influx of votes for two particular candidates, after some bits if campaigning. Now is that really on?

In my opinion, a better way to have handled this process would have been to invite the candidates to write a short piece on why they should be the appeal moderator. Frivolous applications, yes there were a couple, should have been dismissed without going any further. Then the thread should have been closed, people read what each candidates have to say and consequently vote for the one they value the most, no funny business like we've had.

Responding to Goldenoldie's post about choosing a 'compromise', really? Is that what you would have wanted if you were in the position of either viruzzz or Mark Lenders? I don't think so. There are two ways to sort this out. You either make it fully democratic, whoever gets the most votes wins. Or the moderators and administrators decide. A hybrid between the two, which is what you are more-or-less suggesting, is just not on.

I have no idea whether Federer in 2 meant to cause so much chaos here, but he's ruined this. I highly doubt that viruzzz garnering over forty votes in less than forty-eight hours is at all natural. People should have been left to their own free will to decide.

I personally voted for Mark Lenders, he's the best candidate here. Why did I choose him, you might ask? Well, of course he has more than his fair share of fun in certain threads, but he's one of the most intelligent posters on this forum, he, in my opinion, would have the ability to judge each case that gets brought to him solely on its merits. When the situation calls to be serious, Manuel can be serious, and very helpful. I don't like to criticise other candidates, and this means nothing of my opinion on them as people, I really like all the candidates, and appreciate their posts. However, I feel viruzzz is perhaps a little too 'nice' to do this job. We need someone who can be, when the time and place for it comes, ruthless. I'm very fond of Punky, too, but I have the same reservations about her. You could perhaps say the same thing about me, and I wouldn't disagree with you, *even if, at the same time, I wouldn't want to agree with you!

Just my thoughts, feel free to dismiss them.
Now, because I read this, I feel a sudden urge to vote for Mark Lenders. You have INFLUENCED me I am a blind sheep who has no intelligence and is compelled to vote for whoever I see is complimented by other posters. Just like all MTF posters.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #86
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

I think multiple choice votes was a bad thing. Maybe one vote for one candidate and if the winner has under 50% of the vote then do a run-off, sort of like a proportional representation electoral system.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #87
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
Now, because I read this, I feel a sudden urge to vote for Mark Lenders. You have INFLUENCED me I am a blind sheep who has no intelligence and is compelled to vote for whoever I see is complimented by other posters. Just like all MTF posters.
If you aren't willing to give a constructive response to my post, don't bother at all.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #88
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thank you, my friend.

There have been multiple problems with the process, but obviously one man's opinion doesn't make it a fact.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #89
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you aren't willing to give a constructive response to my post, don't bother at all.
It was constructive, I was being sarcastic

What I'm trying to say is, MTF posters are not all so "easily" influenced by flashy sigs and advertisements. Just because we see Kowchi telling to vote for Viruzzz, it's not like one automatically goes and clicks on Viruzzz. Sigs or not, advertising or not, it's still the posters individual decision. "Vote for Viruzzz" isn't going to make someone automatically vote for Viruzzz. They click on the link and see all the posters represented there, and from there vote on the poll out of many choices.

Sigs and advertising hardly make a difference. All it does is gets more posters to vote on the poll. It's a free world and there's nothing wrong with spreading a message.
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!  
Old 05-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #90
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

viruzzz, Lenders, and Goldenoldie in a three-way finals election, plurality wins.

And no, not multiple choice. Decisions must be made.
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose

Last edited by Johnny Groove : 05-12-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread