Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media? - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are western lives presented as more valuable in world media?

Yes, sadly I think so 26 76.47%
No, I dont believe this 5 14.71%
Im undecided on this issue 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #121
country flag zeleni

zeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
I don't have a slightest thing against RT and its existence is welcome as far as I'm concerned, and I agree that it can be useful as a source of information. Also, all the tv networks that you mention certainly reflect the views of their governments. I don't watch TV at all though.
good for you. tv should be watched restrictively and only with a good cause.
(do you watch tennis only on internet?)

Quote:
As for Putin I guess he is ok for Russia at this moment, it takes decades to establish sound democratic institutions as we well know in Serbia. But I don't welcome the fact that such amount of power should be vested in one person only, regardless of how much that person is popular. Russians are lucky that Putin seems to be more or less balanced character, otherwise it would spell disaster for Russia and Russians. The way it is now it's not a disaster, it's just BAD.
do you think it is better to rotate random faces with the same political program? i think that is just a way to keep people in delusion about "democracy".

Quote:
Maybe I should have said "RT reflects views of the Russian government", but unfortunately Mr. Putin seems to be bigger than the Russian government these days, and it's not my fault
in contemporary anti-russian narrative, putin is just a personification for russian sovereignity.
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #122
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeleni View Post

rt is state-funded tv network like bbc news, radio free europe, voice of america, deutsche welle,... of course it is made to support views of its founder country... calling it "pro-putin" is a clear attempt of defamation (as putin is among the most demonised persons alive in western mainstream media)..
Well, you agree that RT is forced to broadcast what the Russian governments wants it to broadcast.
But the difference is that the government funded Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is decidedly left wing, while the government itself is Conservative.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #123
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
good for you. tv should be watched restrictively and only with a good cause.
(do you watch tennis only on internet?)
yes, just the Internet

Quote:
do you think it is better to rotate random faces with the same political program? i think that is just a way to keep people in delusion about "democracy".
It's not about faces it's about solid institutions, rule of law and separation of powers. It's easy to say but it really takes time to build that and I believe we in Serbia will build all that eventually and "democracy" will become democracy.

Quote:
in contemporary anti-russian narrative, putin is just a personification for russian sovereignity.
Sovereignity is doubtful concept in today's world, but Russia does remain a powerful country and I can't see anything bad about that. I like Russia and Russian culture.

But maybe we should ask Russians here on MTF for their opinions about Putin and other things? Start with AnnaK_4ever he/she seems to be from Russia.

I am very suspicious about powerful populist leaders. One Milosevic is enough for me in my lifetime. Thanks, but no thanks.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #124
country flag zeleni

zeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Well, you agree that RT is forced to broadcast what the Russian governments wants it to broadcast.
But the difference is that the government funded Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is decidedly left wing, while the government itself is Conservative.
i can believe you it is so when they are reporting about canada's internal affairs. however i am sceptical about your claim when canada's foreign affairs are the issue of reporting.

can you describe (or give examples) what is exactly the difference between "left wing" cbc (acronym?) and "conservative" government?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #125
country flag zeleni

Quote:
It's not about faces it's about solid institutions, rule of law and separation of powers. It's easy to say but it really takes time to build that and I believe we in Serbia will build all that eventually and "democracy" will become democracy.
"solid institutions", "rule of law", "separation of powers"... give me a break! i not impressed with sweet words. do you seriously think that voters REALLY decide about anything substantial?
democracy (with or without quotation marks) is a deception.

Quote:
Sovereignity is doubtful concept in today's world, but Russia does remain a powerful country and I can't see anything bad about that. I like Russia and Russian culture.
do you consider integrity a doubtful, outdated concept in your everyday real life?

Quote:
But maybe we should ask Russians here on MTF for their opinions about Putin and other things? Start with AnnaK_4ever he/she seems to be from Russia.
why would one (anonymous) person's opinion be decisive about my views on putin?

Quote:
I am very suspicious about powerful populist leaders. One Milosevic is enough for me in my lifetime. Thanks, but no thanks.
i am very suspicious about your tendency do use extensive personifications. smells like pliability for manipulation.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #126
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"solid institutions", "rule of law", "separation of powers"... give me a break! i not impressed with sweet words. do you seriously think that voters REALLY decide about anything substantial?
democracy (with or without quotation marks) is a deception.

democracy is a concept which doesn't exist in perfect form, but history teaches us that it's for the best to try to achieve at least some degree of that concept in practice. We have seen the alternatives and they end in personality cults, abuse of power and violence.

You should first look at the local, municipal levels to see how it goes and than tell me that your opinion doesn't count. The bigger the system the harder it is to determine your individual influence and there are more chances for manipulation but it doesn't mean your opinion is irrelevant.

Quote:
do you consider integrity a doubtful, outdated concept in your everyday real life?
Be more specific and I'll try to answer, since I very much value my personal integrity but I'm not sure what you mean.

Quote:
why would one (anonymous) person's opinion be decisive about my views on putin?
maybe because some people unlike you have more direct, first-hand experiences about that question? It's never a bad thing to hear other people. Also, people can change their minds dear zeleni. I know I can change mine so I keep some healthy distance all the time when discussing politics.

Quote:
i am very suspicious about your tendency do use extensive personifications. smells like pliability for manipulation.
I'm not sure I understand your point but I never wanted to proclaim any politician "a great wise leader", "father of the nation" etc, they did it themselves together with their minions.

If there is a personality cult being built around a person and the person apparently doesn't mind it, I'll take it as it is. Thus the descriptions like "Putin's Russia", "Putin's media" etc are in place, but not because I invented that or have some evil agenda.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #127
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i can believe you it is so when they are reporting about canada's internal affairs. however i am sceptical about your claim when canada's foreign affairs are the issue of reporting.

can you describe (or give examples) what is exactly the difference between "left wing" cbc (acronym?) and "conservative" government?
Today's newspaper has an article on one of their reporters who has received her fourth warning in 3 years for inaccurately reporting events in Israel and Palestine. She is not fired, just slapped on the wrist.

My post says that CBC is Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It is funded by the government.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #128
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with this thread. In Bangladesh, a building collapsed and over 400 people died. Yet it didn't even go on the front page in any newspaper. It did not even get a thread here on MTF, and Boston Bombing got over 5 pages. What, do people think things like that happen in Bangladesh every day, so it's not unusual?
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #129
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
I have to agree with this thread. In Bangladesh, a building collapsed and over 400 people died. Yet it didn't even go on the front page in any newspaper. It did not even get a thread here on MTF, and Boston Bombing got over 5 pages. What, do people think things like that happen in Bangladesh every day, so it's not unusual?
To say it did not get on the front page of any newspaper is just nonsense. Of course it did.

And actually it is not that unusual for Bangladesh. Poorly constructed buildings - overcrowded sweat factories - ignoring safety warnings. It did not get a thread because it has become a familiar story and there is no need to discuss why it happened and who did it. We already know when we see the first report.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #130
country flag Unforced Terror

Unforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond reputeUnforced Terror has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
To say it did not get on the front page of any newspaper is just nonsense. Of course it did.

And actually it is not that unusual for Bangladesh. Poorly constructed buildings - overcrowded sweat factories - ignoring safety warnings. It did not get a thread because it has become a familiar story and there is no need to discuss why it happened and who did it. We already know when we see the first report.
Which newspaper? Canadian newspaper?

It is not usual for 400+ people do die in one accident even in Bangladesh
Unforced Terror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #131
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforced Terror View Post
Which newspaper? Canadian newspaper?
You said, "any newspaper" so I don't see that it matters if it was Canadian or not.