Brian Baker - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #211
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brian Baker

Happy to see Brian up and active

Quote:
Brian Baker ‏@BBakesTennis 4h

@RhyneWilliams it took all my strength to get this guy out o the water. Almost snapped the line #professionalangler pic.twitter.com/tL0bSGtvtL

Quote:
Brian Baker ‏@BBakesTennis 20 Mar

Loving how my mom and grandmom are teaming up calling me homeless bc I have a beard. I blame it on @AlatheaThompson pic.twitter.com/8IIJvbR9K1

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #212
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to courage and determination, Baker is in the first percentile. Best wishes. Everyone here is pulling for a healthy return.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #213
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Brian Baker ‏@BBakesTennis 1h

Doc cleared me to start lightly hitting some balls today. Time to find out if the bhand is still there! #onthemend

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #214
country flag Tricky_Forehand

Tricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond reputeTricky_Forehand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brian Baker signs deals with Babolat, Athletic DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
That's some good motivation! Good to know sponsors are still willing to believe in him.
Tricky_Forehand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #215
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Brian withdrew from Savannah challenger, guess he is still not ready to return.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #216
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Brian Baker: Cleared for 'real tennis'

Quote:
Well I finally got the good news I have been waiting to hear! My doctor has basically cleared me to do all movements and exercises.

He says that my meniscus should be strong enough to start pushing the envelope with my training on and off the court. I will probably continue to have some soreness in the knee as I start upping my movement on the court, but it feels great to be able to begin playing some "real tennis."

I hope to be practicing at full speed in the next 2-3 weeks. However, I am not going to rush the process if I am not ready. I should have a better idea of when I can resume playing on tour once I am practicing at a normal clip.

Last weekend I had a blast watching Belmont University's tennis team compete at the Ohio Valley Conference tennis tournament. Belmont came in as the five seed and made it all the way to the final before losing to Austin Peay University. The energy at the tournament was electric and really added to the quality of the matches. Watching the tennis made me think about what it would have been like to have participated in college tennis and to have been part of a team.

Tennis is typically very individualistic, so I'm sure it would have been a fun but different experience to have played in college. Maybe one day I'll experience college tennis as a head coach ... who knows?

I hope to report some encouraging news for next week. I'm confident that my knee will respond well to the increased workload and that I will be one week closer to returning to full strength!

— Brian

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #217
country flag PitsOfTheWorld

PitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond reputePitsOfTheWorld has a reputation beyond repute

Is it far to assume Brian will be returning with a few Challenger events before he hits the main tour? I'd imagine he'll drop out of the top 100. If he plays some Challengers (say, Winnetka during the second week of Wimbledon), then he can see if he's ready to take to the USO Series, where he'll undoubtedly get some wild cards...if he's healthy he'll probably get a WC at the USO itself. But I'm a little biased because the Winnetka Challenger is going to be my first-ever pro tournament, and my first tour-level is going to be Cincy a month later! Hope to see him in both places!
"A tacit rhetorical assumption here is that you have very probably never heard of Michael Joyce of Brentwood, L.A... Nor of Vince Spadea nor Jonathan Stark...--all ranked in the world’s top one hundred at one point in 1995. Nor of Jeff Tarango, sixty-eight in the world, unless you remember his unfortunate psychotic breakdown in full public view during last year’s Wimbledon.

You are invited to try to imagine what it would be like to be among the hundred best in the world at something. At anything. I have tried to imagine; it’s hard."
--David Foster Wallace (), "Tennis Player Michael Joyce's Professional Artistry as a Paradigm of Certain Stuff about Choice, Freedom, Discipline, Joy, Grotesquerie, and Human Completeness"
PitsOfTheWorld is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #218
country flag Josh V

Josh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond reputeJosh V has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Great news! Any chance he could return by Wimbledon?

Isner, Sock, Williams, Johnson, Harrison

Baghdatis, Hewitt, Gasquet, Raonic
Josh V is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #219
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think Brian will return by Wimbledon.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #220
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Happy belated 28th birthday to Brian!

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #221
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Brian Baker: Workload increasing, confidence building: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...diary/2128855/

Quote:
Rehab really hasn't changed much the last few weeks except for a few more agility and jumping exercises. My strength in my right quad is improving dramatically and is getting real close to the strength of my left one.

My range of motion in the knee is still a work in progress, but I am hopeful that in a few weeks it will be back to normal. Overall, I'm feeling great about the progress I've made so far and will keep putting the hours in to ensure that my entire body will be ready to face the rigorous tour schedule.

I still have not decided when I will compete in my first tournament, but I hope to have a better idea in a few weeks.

I'm happy to report that I have drastically increased my workload on the tennis court this past week. I am moving all over the court and have even started playing a few baseline games against a few of the top players at Vanderbilt University.

I still feel a little tentative with my knee when I am stretched out to the corners of the court, but I do not experience any pain. Sometimes the hardest part about rehabbing an injury is gaining the confidence back to really push the injured joint. I think I am very close to finding the confidence, which is a good sign moving forward.

I think the only negative to playing more tennis this past week has been the blood blisters that have formed on the balls of my feet. I normally have a thick layer of calluses on my feet that protects me from getting blisters, but after the lengthy layoff, they are as smooth as can be. Just another issue athletes have to overcome when returning to full strength!

In other news, I celebrated my 28th birthday on April 30. I had a great day with family and friends and my mom cooked an absolutely awesome dinner. In addition, the staff at MPower Fitness, my rehab place, surprised me with a cake from Nothing Bundt Cake (if you have not tried one you are missing out!). I think I may need to fast for a week!

These next few weeks will be important weeks because I am hoping to start practicing at full strength. My patience is about to wear off so it is time to start pushing forward!

— Brian
Brian signs a new 3 year deal with ADNA.

FOX 17 - Local Sports: http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/sports...vid_2468.shtml

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #222
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sad Brian is missing the clay season.

Hope he will come back at least for the grass since natural surfaces seem to suit his game better!

afterglows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #223
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Brian Baker: Timetable for return still uncertain

Quote:
I don't have too much news to report this week. My knee is continuing to progress nicely, and I have more strength and less soreness.

Unfortunately, I have been slowed down the past couple days with a sore back. I have had to limit some of my rehab and time on court to make sure I don't turn a small issue into a nagging one. It's always frustrating to have little problems pop up, but when you are rehabbing after an extensive time off, they happen sometimes. On the bright side, I think my knee has benefited from a few days of lighter activity.

I still haven't decided when I will return to competition, but I plan to decide on Nice and the French Open early next week. My mindset is always to get back as fast as possible, but like I always say, I'm going to return when my knee is completely ready. I hope that's sooner than later because I'm itching to get back out there!

In other news, I'm keeping a close eye on the big clay court events in Europe and watching quite a bit of the NBA playoffs. I hope the Grizzlies come out of the West! I'm also looking forward to The Players Championship in golf this week as it has the strongest field in golf and because I've been lucky enough to have played the course.

I plan on reporting next week that I'm feeling better and that training is full speed ahead.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...diary/2146255/

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #224
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Out of Roland Garros

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #225
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Brian Baker: Disappointing to miss Nice, French Open

Quote:
Unfortunately, I was forced to pull out of Nice and the French Open a few days ago. Although necessary, this move was upsetting because of the great memories I experienced last year.

Nice is kind of where everything got started for me and my entire family (plus aunts, uncles, girlfriend, and Nashville friends) accompanied me at the French. It's also never a good feeling when you can't defend the points you accumulated from the year before and know that your ranking will drop significantly.

However, I am very confident that I will pick my ranking back up when I return this year. I'm sure my ranking will be better than it was the last time I came back from injury (no ranking)!

My rehab is finally starting to pick up again after dealing with a sore back for about two weeks. If there are no more surprises, I'd love to be practicing normally in a week or so. My patience is running on fumes. I see Dr. Elrod this week so hopefully he will give me the green light to start regular training. If I get the green light, I will head down to Florida shortly to get some good practice weeks in with Todd Martin. I'll spend several weeks this year down in Florida working with Todd, and feel good about how he can improve my game.

In other news, I will be heading to San Francisco this weekend to have a short vacation with my girlfriend. We will be celebrating our three-year anniversary so it will definitely be a fun trip. I don't know how she has put up with me for so long! Wish I could go to a Warriors game, but looking forward to seeing Napa for the first time.

— Brian

Rhyne's Picture Thread