Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media? - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are western lives presented as more valuable in world media?

Yes, sadly I think so 26 76.47%
No, I dont believe this 5 14.71%
Im undecided on this issue 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #106
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug View Post
I've heard about this, and yes, it was a sufficient blow and made me slightly question RT's journalistic integrity. There has been a few instances where their reporting has been blinkered (to say the least), but I use RT for world events, not necessarily reports covering Russia's political infrastructure. Since the mainstream media fail to address the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, the Syrian Civil War and and many other world issues, I use RT as my source. As I evidently made clear earlier on, it's far from perfect, but in terms of accessible news sources, this is far less biased, sensationalised and degradable than most other networks. I am not sure how they cover Russian social news (I've read a few of their political reports), but to say RT is propaganda is ignorant. Again, their political and social reporting in Russia could demonstrate this, but out of all the news sources available to me, RT wins. Each media outlet will have its bias, its "agenda" and its motive - it just so happens RT is more honest and informative than most other junk out there.
Mainstream media "fail to address" Middle East conflicts?
Fox News, CNN, BBC, Euronews and other major outlets are not accessible for you?
Well, if that's the case I have to agree -- RT is all you need.

On second thought, you may also like Iranian and North Korean state channels, they are really so not "mainstream".

Last edited by AnnaK_4ever : 04-18-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #107
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Mainstream media "fail to address" Midlle East conflicts?
Fox News, CNN, BBC, Euronews and other major outlets are not accessible for you?

On second thought, you may also like Iranian and North Korean state channels, they are really so not "mainstream".
I think, knowingly or unknowingly, he means that mainstream media fail to slant news of the Middle East conflict to his liking.
He surely can't mean that it is not reported on.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #108
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Mainstream media "fail to address" Middle East conflicts?

Come to Australia, watch either the 7, 9 or 10 news (not so much ABC or SBS), and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Very seldom do they cover issues in the Middle East. And when they do, it's because of some Australian involvement, whether it be a troop or a tourist. And did you even read my post? Out of all the accessible news sources available (which includes the ones you stated), I find RT the best in terms of providing world information without being as biased nor as preachy as the other networks. Is there anything wrong with that?

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #109
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, you are talking about Australian media, not mainstream.

Well I know you said you get your news from YouTube, but I have to say that watching their cable channel they are the definition of preachy and biased.

But anyway, we have established that RT is the broadcast channel of the Russian Government, so people can decide for themselves if it is independent from Putin's control. And given his record, I know what my decision is.

Last edited by buddyholly : 04-18-2013 at 10:54 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #110
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
I think, knowingly or unknowingly, he means that mainstream media fail to slant news of the Middle East conflict to his liking.
He surely can't mean that it is not reported on.
To my liking? Elaborate on such an outlandish claim. Your ignorance is beginning to irritate me. If you don't want to have a civil exchange of dialogue, then just stop replying to me. Your accusations are getting bothersome. Having used to watch the mainstream news here in Australia, they very rarely covered Middle Eastern conflicts. This is a fact. RT provides the most objective source out there. If you're not okay with that, then I don't know what to say.

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #111
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I remember how I and so many in my country and people around the world hung for days and weeks in breathless concern and suspense when Chileans and Bolivians were trapped deep in a mine and cried tears of joy when they were rescued. Their lives were important to me and to my countrymen,.

I also know that there have been recent mine disasters in this country that you never knew or cared about, Does that make the lives of the Chilean miners more important? No, of course not. It is simply the circumstance that causes the publicity, Just as you or most anybody doesn't know about the two people found dead here in the park or the man thrown in the river. It doesn't make their lives less important.

I think you know this already. But this is an occasion where you can give vent to your feelings and you use it for those purposes. I'm not surprised anymore than I'm surprised to learn that there were expressions of glee and mirth posted on MTF after learning that people had been killed and permanently maimed in the U.S.
all fair points.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #112
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seriously? I remember reading about the incident in china that very day. The article described that incident and others that had taken place in china. I remarked on it to myself because I thought how much havoc guns wreaked. It was horrific that so many children were cruelly injured but at least none of them died. If the man had used a gun, there would have been many dead children.

As I said, I don't watch TV news, so maybe I have more time to see and read these stories,

Also, we, thankfully, don't know what the coverage might have been if these children had been killed. And also, also, you and I knew about this incident at the time, so I assume others did as well,

P.S. I wonder if the story a week or so ago about the man who went to a community college in Texas and stabbed students got any coverage in your country. It got little in this country.
thst was sooo beautiful i never know them but the news in here show the Rescue live and my country gave all the miners and their wives a free visit full payed by my country to visit all the spacial places.

it was a beautiful moment for everyone to see
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #113
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond reputeAnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanCondition View Post
I've heard about this, and yes, it was a sufficient blow and made me slightly question RT's journalistic integrity. There has been a few instances where their reporting has been blinkered (to say the least), but I use RT for world events, not necessarily reports covering Russia's political infrastructure. Since the mainstream media fail to address the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, the Syrian Civil War and and many other world issues, I use RT as my source. As I evidently made clear earlier on, it's far from perfect, but in terms of accessible news sources, this is far less biased, sensationalised and degradable than most other networks.
The latest example of RT's "professionalism": airing breaking news on the White House "explosions" and citing "exclusive source" (i.e. hacked AP Twitter account) at that.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #114
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be ignorant and too lazy to read back, but what is RT?
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #115
country flag AnnaK_4ever

Quote:
Russia Today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #116
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
http://rt.com/

it's a pro-Putin Russian TV station in English.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #117
country flag zeleni

zeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond reputezeleni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
http://rt.com/

it's a pro-Putin Russian TV station in English.
you mean like bbc news is pro-cameron?

rt is state-funded tv network like bbc news, radio free europe, voice of america, deutsche welle,... of course it is made to support views of its founder country... calling it "pro-putin" is a clear attempt of defamation (as putin is among the most demonised persons alive in western mainstream media).

i think that for english-speaking tv-consumer rt is very valuable as view from different angle because all other news networks are (more or less) leaning on the same side.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #118
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeleni View Post
you mean like bbc news is pro-cameron?

rt is state-funded tv network like bbc news, radio free europe, voice of america, deutsche welle,... of course it is made to support views of its founder country... calling it "pro-putin" is a clear attempt of defamation (as putin is among the most demonised persons alive in western mainstream media).

i think that for english-speaking tv-consumer rt is very valuable as view from different angle because all other news networks are (more or less) leaning on the same side.
I don't have a slightest thing against RT and its existence is welcome as far as I'm concerned, and I agree that it can be useful as a source of information. Also, all the tv networks that you mention certainly reflect the views of their governments. I don't watch TV at all though.

As for Putin I guess he is ok for Russia at this moment, it takes decades to establish sound democratic institutions as we well know in Serbia. But I don't welcome the fact that such amount of power should be vested in one person only, regardless of how much that person is popular. Russians are lucky that Putin seems to be more or less balanced character, otherwise it would spell disaster for Russia and Russians. The way it is now it's not a disaster, it's just BAD.

Maybe I should have said "RT reflects views of the Russian government", but unfortunately Mr. Putin seems to be bigger than the Russian government these days, and it's not my fault

Last edited by ssin : 04-24-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #119
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanCondition View Post
To my liking? Elaborate on such an outlandish claim. Your ignorance is beginning to irritate me. If you don't want to have a civil exchange of dialogue, then just stop replying to me. Your accusations are getting bothersome. Having used to watch the mainstream news here in Australia, they very rarely covered Middle Eastern conflicts. This is a fact. RT provides the most objective source out there. If you're not okay with that, then I don't know what to say.
RT gives a lot of time to the Middle East because it gives them opportunity to rant against the US and Israel. But I would not call it objective by any means. When they lie about stuff you know, then they are probably lying about the Middle East.

For instance, they were trumpeting "Dozens Killed in Texas Blast'', long after everyone else knew that the death toll was 14

Didn't see their reaction to the fake tweet on the White House bombing, but am sure it was fleetingly exciting for their viewers.

Last edited by buddyholly : 04-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #120
country flag ssin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
When they lie about stuff you know, then they are probably lying about the Middle East.
CNN and BBC are not that much better unfortunately. Speaking from my own experience, about places and things I can see with my own eyes.

For example, the mainstream Western media ignored for months huge protests against Milosevic in Belgrade in 1996. The protest went each day. Why - because Milosevic was considered at that particular time "the stability factor in the Balkans" by the West.

It was sad, really, and then I lost all respect for CNN, BBC etc. So, during the Kosovo campaign, when I was a soldier btw (but not deployed in Kosovo), it was not a surprise they acted as propaganda machines in purest sense of the word. It is as it is, we can choose to think about it what we want. I chose not to watch TV any more, luckily there's the internet and multiple independent sources that I can refer to.

Last edited by ssin : 04-24-2013 at 02:14 PM.