Tennis.com article: Why hasn't A Top ATP Male Tennis Pro Come Out As Gay? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
country flag mseles1

mseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis.com article: Why hasn't A Top ATP Male Tennis Pro Come Out As Gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisgalaxy View Post
Your comment is heterosexist being gay is not a choice it is a sexual orientation, you are making the assumption that being gay is about sex and it is not.

Being gay is more than just about sex it is about being able to live your life openly.
I'm not convinced homosexuals have a preference, the enis decides. The clue's in the word, at the very least, nine tenths of being homosexual/(from 1960s onwards-gay) is sex. Unless the man's closeted or celibate, I imagine it would then be - nine tenths torture.

Isn't this just a circumstance of life? Human life regardless of sexuality, ethnicity...?

Perhaps none are gay. My dad's a welder, he's never worked with an out gay man in 30 years, plus the gay kids at my school shared an absolute hatred of sport. Pros usually start c.6/7 yrs old or younger.
mseles1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tennis.com article: Why hasn't A Top ATP Male Tennis Pro Come Out As Gay?

Why do they have to? It is called the ATP after all, P standing for professionals. Do any professionals here have to go to work and say 'I am gay'? Doubt it.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
Why do they have to? It is called the ATP after all, P standing for professionals. Do any professionals here have to go to work and say 'I am gay'? Doubt it.
Nobody has to, but many do. The question here was ''why hasn't'', not ''why don't".

Given the increasingly non-remarkable practice of being openly gay in the workplace, it is a legitimate question as to why pro sports seems to be lagging behind all other professions.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #19
country flag polarisgalaxy

polarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
There are LGBT people around the world who are hiding in the closet some are depressed, some commit suicide.

Sports is transformative look at Jackie Robinson he broke the color barrier in baseball.

The reason no ATP player has come out is due to homophobia. The gay male tennis players don't feel comfortable coming out because they probably worry about the straight guys making fun of them.

If a top player happened to be a gay man and he came out this would tremendous and help a lot of LGBT youth.

Just like Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Amelie Mauresmo have done a lot for lesbians by coming out and being great tennis champions.
polarisgalaxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #20
country flag mseles1

mseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond reputemseles1 has a reputation beyond repute

Or none are gay. Worried about being physically harmed possibly. Being made fun of? Pointless caring about what people think about you period. At the very least care what folks think, if the person thinking, means something to you. I've never understood other people coming out helping an individual whatever their age, maybe some people are more reliant on others than me.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #21

polarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond reputepolarisgalaxy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseles1 View Post
Or none are gay. Worried about being physically harmed possibly. Being made fun of? Pointless caring about what people think about you period. At the very least care what folks think, if the person thinking, means something to you. I've never understood other people coming out helping an individual whatever their age, maybe some people are more reliant on others than me.
Of course, you never understood, because heterosexuality is the norm, straight people push their straight lifestyle in the faces of gay people every single day. The media always point out who the straight guys are dating, who their wives and girlfriends are.

Heterosexuality is not treated as something to be shameful of, to be ridiculed, and mocked and dengeraded.

Heterosexuality is public and homosexuality is treated as private.

It is statistically impossible to say there are no gay men in the ATP top 100. There has to be at least five gay men in the top 100 it is impossible for there to be none.Your comment about being it pointless that people care is kind of ludicrous. Homophobia especially against male athletes is a serious issue. Robbie Rogers the American soccer player QUIT the sport because he feared dealing with the homophobia of the heterosexual men. Heterosexual men are the problem they are bullies they attack gay men and keep them silent. The silence is the answer,
Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
country flag mseles1

Quote:
Of course, you never understood, because heterosexuality is the norm, straight people push their straight lifestyle in the faces of gay people every single day.

It is statistically impossible to say there are no gay men in the ATP top 100. There has to be at least five gay men in the top 100 it is impossible for there to be none.

Your comment about being it pointless that people care is kind of ludicrous.

Homophobia especially against male athletes is a serious issue. Robbie Rogers the American soccer player QUIT the sport because he feared dealing with the homophobia of the heterosexual men. Heterosexual men are the problem they are bullies they attack gay men and keep them silent.
Er Dorothy's my friend as they say in some quarters. I told people if they asked & I didn't/haven't ever asked for anyone's approval.
Who in turn have fallen over themselves 'buying into it.' Civil partnerships, marriage, children...

Not necessarily. I work within the artistic community and the number of gay men is relatively high but as I've already commented on, in thirty years my dad hasn't worked with any out gay men in his industry. If it's possible to have no gays in that industry, why not in tennis also?

I would argue it's 'ludicrous' for people to care. A person is a complete stranger to 'yourself', means absolutely nothing to 'you', yet 'you' care for their opinion? If so why?

'I felt like I couldn’t play and come out,' Rogers told Cooper. 'I thought it would be too emotional for me, it would be a circus. I just thought it would be very difficult the impact on the team with the media showing up every day, I’m glad it did it this way. I am happy.'
'I’m not worried about the fans. I’m worried about going to the footballer locker room. If I go back I want to go as a soccer player, not the gay soccer player.'

Doubt & worry seem to have been the problem, not fear.

Some heterosexual men. Running away isn't the answer to bullying. I've never been bullied, I have 'suffered' name calling but ultimately gave as good as I got.

Last edited by mseles1 : 04-21-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: men > man
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseles1 View Post
Er Dorothy's my friend as they say in some quarters. I told people if they asked & I didn't/haven't ever asked for anyone's approval.
Who in turn have fallen over themselves 'buying into it.' Civil partnerships, marriage, children...

Not necessarily. I work within the artistic community and the number of gay men is relatively high but as I've already commented on, in thirty years my dad hasn't worked with any out gay men in his industry. If it's possible to have no gays in that industry, why not in tennis also?

I would argue it's 'ludicrous' for people to care. A person is a complete stranger to 'yourself', means absolutely nothing to 'you', yet 'you' care for their opinion? If so why?

'I felt like I couldn’t play and come out,' Rogers told Cooper. 'I thought it would be too emotional for me, it would be a circus. I just thought it would be very difficult the impact on the team with the media showing up every day, I’m glad it did it this way. I am happy.'
'I’m not worried about the fans. I’m worried about going to the footballer locker room. If I go back I want to go as a soccer player, not the gay soccer player.'

Doubt & worry seem to have been the problem, not fear.

Some heterosexual men. Running away isn't the answer to bullying. I've never been bullied, I have 'suffered' name calling but ultimately gave as good as I got.
Regardless of what you personally believe people do care. Your comment reeks of heterosexism, Gay youth care, the media care, and society cares. If society is going to be a progressive place then barriers need to be broken down!

The good thing is gay male athletes ARE coming out. In boxing Orlando Cruz is a solid boxer he came out in October last year. Kwame Harris in the NFL came out, as did Robbie Rogers the American soccer player he also came out of the closet.
The more gay men come out of the closet the more they can smash and challenge the homophobia that a gay man cannot be masculine, and excel at sports.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
country flag Henry Chinaski

Henry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond reputeHenry Chinaski has a reputation beyond repute

who wants the hassle?

I'm sure most players would rather keep their private lives private rather than become an instant icon based simply on their sexual preferences.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there aren't any gay professionals?

Why does their have to be?
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
country flag mseles1

Quote:
Regardless of what you personally believe people do care.
Your comment reeks of heterosexism
Again - A person is a complete stranger to 'yourself', means absolutely nothing to 'you', yet 'you' care for their opinion? If so why?
A gayer accused of heterosexism! Just by being me I prove that is most definitely not the case. MTF posters continue to better one another, that comment's a pearler.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
country flag T.C

T.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond reputeT.C has a reputation beyond repute

if the author is holding up the WTA as a shining example of openness, it is interesting to note that there have been very few women tennis pros that are openly gay. so maybe there are just fewer homosexuals in pro tennis therefore few gay male pro tennis players. it could be self selection: I imagine the life on tour of a tennis pro just starting out is difficult enough without the added pressure of dealing with being in or out of the closet.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
T.C is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote