Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Are western lives presented as more valuable in world media?

Yes, sadly I think so 26 76.47%
No, I dont believe this 5 14.71%
Im undecided on this issue 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #46
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
You have completely missed my point. You should not care about grand scheme of things, however you should definitely look at the big picture when it comes to the events happening today - especially those that don't impact you.

If some people died thousands of kilometers away, why would you care? Does it personality matter to you? Do you want to want to stress yourself because of it? Would you waste time offering fake tears and sympathies on an online forum like I see some people doing here?

The point of the previous post, in case it escaped you is: people die all the time. It's a natural thing whether it happens sooner or later. I am an atheist, so I believe I only have one life to live and I sure as hell not going to waste it "mourning" people whose lives are deemed important by yank media.
And you have completely missed mine. Not everyone is like you - some people, whether after seeing these pictures or merely after hearing this news, do get affected. And even if they do not, so what? If you do not want to waste your time by mourning these people, nobody is stopping you. If others do want to offer their sympathies, fake or real, why should they be reprimanded for it? It´s their call, their choice. And really Sherlock, people die all the time? Thanks for the heads-up.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #47
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Western "first world country" lives seen as more valuable by the media?

Quote:
You have completely missed my point. You should not care about grand scheme of things, however you should definitely look at the big picture when it comes to the events happening today - especially those that don't impact you.

If some people died thousands of kilometers away, why would you care? Does it personality matter to you? Do you want to want to stress yourself because of it? Would you waste time offering fake tears and sympathies on an online forum like I see some people doing here?

The point of the previous post, in case it escaped you is: people die all the time. It's a natural thing whether it happens sooner or later. I am an atheist, so I believe I only have one life to live and I sure as hell not going to waste it "mourning" people whose lives are deemed important by yank media.
This is an interesting point. Because of its somewhat confrontational tone, most people will dismiss it is mindless trolling, but there is some truth within it, all nihilism aside. When the Western media report on an event such as the Boston Marathon explosion, they seem to persist that it's a social obligation to be sympathetic. Some people are genuinely sympathetic, others are not, but the latter still tend to give the illusion of being sympathetic because our culture embraces such a norm.

It's endearing.

"Thank you very much for letting me win"
B-Nard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #48
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug View Post

48 hours ago there was an explosion in Iraq killing 33 people and injuring over 300. The Western media did not cover this at all..
Absolute, pure, unadulterated nonsense.

It amazes me how people just write what they want to believe. The Iranian earthquake is all over the western media.

Perhaps you are a little bit confused and do not realize that Boston was full of media for the marathon, while there were propaply very few western media types in remote Iran waiting to take pictures of the next earthquake. So yes, not so much visual news, but as for covering the story, it is covered across the western media.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #49
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

B-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond reputeB-Nard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Absolute, pure, unadulterated nonsense.

It amazes me how people just write what they want to believe. The Iranian earthquake is all over the western media.

Perhaps you are a little bit confused and do not realize that Boston was full of media for the marathon, while there were propaply very few western media types in remote Iran waiting to take pictures of the next earthquake. So yes, not so much visual news, but as for covering the story, it is covered across the western media.
I not am talking about the Iranian earthquake. Where the hell did you get that from?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

This had almost NO extensive coverage in the Western media besides a few articles. But it was not covered in many TV broadcasts.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #50
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I not am talking about the Iranian earthquake. Where the hell did you get that from?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

This had almost NO extensive coverage in the Western media besides a few articles. But it was not covered in many TV broadcasts.
The story was in yesterday's newspaper and not today's. I don't know about television news because I don't watch television news, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/wo...an-border.html

Also it's on my google news page thatn20 people were killed in a bomb blast in Pakistan,
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #51
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
The story was in yesterday's newspaper and not today's. I don't know about television news because I don't watch television news, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/wo...an-border.html

Also it's on my google news page thatn20 people were killed in a bomb blast in Pakistan,
Why did you link an article about the Iranian earthquake? I have nothing to say about that.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #52
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why did you link an article about the Iranian earthquake? I have nothing to say about that.
Sorry. That was a mistake. Here you go. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/wo...-approach.html

The earthquake was in today's newspaper. Actually I think there was another story also on the Iraq bombing.

No sorry. This one is not about bombings per se. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/wo...anted=all&_r=0

Last edited by star : 04-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #53
country flag superslam77

superslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond reputesuperslam77 has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully but probably not the case which is stupid.

point:you value your life and your family more than others would ever do...
everything else is bullshit and hypocrisy.

numbers are not everything.
superslam77 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #54
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

Quote:
Sorry. That was a mistake. Here you go. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/wo...-approach.html

The earthquake was in today's newspaper. Actually I think there was another story also on the Iraq bombing.
Yes, the bombing received moderate coverage in newspapers, which tend to cover more issues. But for an event of this significance not to get mentioned on numerous TV broadcasts is bewildering, especially considering the fact more people died and got injured than the Boston Marathon.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #55
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Yes, the bombing received moderate coverage in newspapers, which tend to cover more issues. But for an event of this significance not to get mentioned on numerous TV broadcasts is bewildering, especially considering the fact more people died and got injured than the Boston Marathon.
Well, I can't help what your country's media chooses to cover.

I think here in the U.S. it's understandable that the Boston marathon is getting more coverage.

Actually I would advise that you stop watching television news because it is skewed by the availability of video. You'll get a more balanced view through the print media, but the choice is yours.

Also I edited to add a more in depth story that might interest you,
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #56
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

Quote:
Well, I can't help what your country's media chooses to cover.

I think here in the U.S. it's understandable that the Boston marathon is getting more coverage.

Actually I would advise that you stop watching television news because it is skewed by the availability of video. You'll get a more balanced view through the print media, but the choice is yours.

Also I edited to add a more in depth story that might interest you,
I live in Australia. Last night, the mainstream media dedicated their entire news broadcast to the event. Having watched three different channels, there was no mention of the bombing in Iraq, in spite of it injuring and killing more people. Am I saying the Boston explosion didn't warrant such coverage? No. But when you learn a similar (albeit vastly worst) event happened within a few hours of each other and this particular event received no coverage, you question the integrity of journalism. And why was this the case? The Western media only care about their little reality bubble. They neglect to cover the more important and gritty events for the sake of viewership and profit. Hence why I said the media is the epitome of corporate, encumbered, monopolistic capitalism.

Now I do have the option, you're right, and I tend to neglect mainstream media 95% of the time, but a majority of the Australian population receives their information on current events through these outlets. It's a distressing thought that most people aren't aware of what is happening outside of the media's distorted bubble.

Last edited by B-Nard : 04-16-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #57
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
I live in Australia. Last night, the mainstream media dedicated their entire news broadcast to the event. Having watched three different channels, there was no mention of the bombing in Iraq, in spite of it injuring and killing more people. Am I saying the Boston explosion didn't warrant such coverage? No. But when you learn a similar (albeit vastly worst) event happened within a few hours of each other and this particular event received no coverage, you question the integrity of journalism. And why was this the case? The Western media only care about their little reality bubble. They neglect to cover the more important and gritty events for the sake of viewership and profit. Hence why I said the media is the eptimoe of corporate, encumbered, monopolistic capitalism.

Now I do have the option, you're right, and I tend to neglect mainstream media 95% of the time, but a majority of the Australian population receives their information on current events through these outlets. It's a distressing thought that most people aren't aware of what is happening outside of the media's distorted bubble.
That is the fault of your media and your people. You can be mad at the U.S. for its actions, but hardly for the actions of your own countrymen.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #58
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

Quote:
That is the fault of your media and your people. You can be mad at the U.S. for its actions, but hardly for the actions of your own countrymen.
Obviously. And this is what the Western media essentially does. Likewise, media in the Middle East or Eastern Asia wouldn't as extensively cover the event as Western media has. Therefore, no "lives" mean more than anyone else. It's merely a superficial fixation that depends on location and perspective. That was my initial point.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #59
country flag Topspindoctor

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obviously. And this is what the Western media essentially does. Likewise, media in the Middle East or Eastern Asia wouldn't as extensively cover the event as Western media has. Therefore, no "lives" mean more than anyone else. It's merely a superficial fixation that depends on location and perspective. That was my initial point.
+1 You have explained what I have tried to say quite eloquently. Lives essentially do not matter. It's all about where the government controlled media chooses to focus the public telling them who to feel sorry for. It's all a subtle game of clever manipulation. Has nothing to do with offering pity and sympathy, but manipulating public opinion.

Nadal - GOAT
Sergiy Stakhovsky - Great purger of evil and talented shotmaker
Berdych aka Twitter GOAT - Nose destroyer

2004-2007 = weakest tennis era
2011 = dark age of tennis

2008/2010/2013 = Greatest years of tennis.
Topspindoctor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #60
country flag B-Nard
Tomic the Tank engine.

Quote:
+1 You have explained what I have tried to say quite eloquently. Lives essentially do not matter. It's all about where the government controlled media chooses to focus the public telling them who to feel sorry for. It's all a subtle game of clever manipulation. Has nothing to do with offering pity and sympathy, but manipulating public opinion.
I am not as nihilistic on the issue as you evidently are. Human lives have extensive value, although measuring the significance and worth of a life is impracticable and moot.