2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #46
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

sad news.

goes to show how horrific it must be to live in american-invaded nations like iraq or afghanistan where stuff like this happens in a daily basis.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #47
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 2 dead, 23 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Personally, I think that this is exactly the right time. Perhaps not "preaching", but it deserves some serious thought.

In Iran, there was a big earthquake. At the moment, they've counted at least 40 people dead (with the fear of that figure being a lot higher). This isn't an attack so not caused by humans but it would still be interesting to see how the media attention compares with the attention given to the storms in the New York area recently.
There's no thread started on the Iran earthquake and I would be willing to bet that if a massive earthquake like that happened in LA or the UK or so, it would have a thread. So, exactly on this day, I feel it's the right time to talk about bias and hypocrisy involved because it is happening right now.

In Syria, people are currently living and dying in horrible circumstances and the news about Syria is spread as if you're talking about the price of 1 kg of oranges.
Perhaps this is exaggerated but IMO, not by much. This involves lots of innocent people and nearly nobody gives a damn, by the looks of it.

Not to say that what happened in Boston is not horrible. Of course, it's terrible. A marathon like that should be a joyful event, a celebration of life.

But on a day like this, when you compare what happens around the world and just how much more importance is given to the US drama, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
Those stories are in my newspaper. The stories abut Syria are on going and horrific. None of the problems is that it's hard to get stories out,

Naturally, I don't know the level of the coverage where you live. In the U.S. there is obviously going to be a lot of coverage about the event because it happened here,

I understand that a lot of people posting here don't like the U.S. and resent just about anything they can about it, but if you are complaining about the amount of coverage your country's media give to this event, that is hardly the fault of the U.S.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #48
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 3 dead, 144 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
sad news.

goes to show how horrific it must be to live in american-invaded nations like iraq or afghanistan where stuff like this happens in a daily basis.
Yes.

The violence perpetrated by all concerned and the deaths of so many are unbelievably sad. One can become almost overwhelmed thinking about it, I think of the focus on Malala, the girl who the Taliban shot for speaking out for the right of girls to be educated. We know her name, but what of the hundreds of others in the Swat Valley who have been shot and dumped in the public squares as examples? We don't know their names or their stories,

That is our way, I think. I mean the way of human beings. It's hard to focus on the aggregate and the continuing somehow,

I know you meant to imply without saying, that the people in the U.S. deserved this violence. I'm not being dense, but I do agree that the horrific violence that human beings perpetrate on one another is appalling.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #49
country flag Shinoj
Banned!

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 explosions at Boston Marathon, UPDATE: at least 2 dead, 23 injured

Quote:
Personally, I think that this is exactly the right time. Perhaps not "preaching", but it deserves some serious thought.

In Iran, there was a big earthquake. At the moment, they've counted at least 40 people dead (with the fear of that figure being a lot higher). This isn't an attack so not caused by humans but it would still be interesting to see how the media attention compares with the attention given to the storms in the New York area recently.
There's no thread started on the Iran earthquake and I would be willing to bet that if a massive earthquake like that happened in LA or the UK or so, it would have a thread. So, exactly on this day, I feel it's the right time to talk about bias and hypocrisy involved because it is happening right now.

In Syria, people are currently living and dying in horrible circumstances and the news about Syria is spread as if you're talking about the price of 1 kg of oranges.
Perhaps this is exaggerated but IMO, not by much. This involves lots of innocent people and nearly nobody gives a damn, by the looks of it.

Not to say that what happened in Boston is not horrible. Of course, it's terrible. A marathon like that should be a joyful event, a celebration of life.

But on a day like this, when you compare what happens around the world and just how much more importance is given to the US drama, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

It All comes down to who is Rich and Successful in Todays World, the Media Obviously will give them much Importance.
Most of the General Public wouldnt care if 100 people in Sudan Dies as compared to the same people dying in the Western First World.

Also the Language of the media plays a very big factor. Most of the Media which transcends Borders and Languages is dominated by the English Language. For example a Media company which is as big as in a country like China or India would capture lesser range of Population World Wide as compared to a Media Company which is based in UK or US. Now both the companies might capture the same number of Eyeballs but the English Media would always have a Wider Range of Audience than any of any other Country.

Having Said all that My Condolences goes to the Americans.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #50
country flag out_here_grindin

out_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond reputeout_here_grindin has a reputation beyond repute

So about the bombings themselves.

Rumors are that a Saudi national is being held and questioned. But nothing was found in his home. The bomb was "crude and novice" making some believe that indicates it was not a large terrorist cell who planted them.

Follow college tennis here.. (I am the user Clemson_tennis)
out_here_grindin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #51
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This is a board populated by Western posters in Western countries. Do you think that people in Western countries are better able to relate to things that happen to Americans, or things that happen to Iranians and Syrians?

People are more emotionally affected by stuff that hits closer to home. It's human nature and has nothing to do with media bias.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #52
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
This is a board populated by Western posters in Western countries. Do you think that people in Western countries are better able to relate to things that happen to Americans, or things that happen to Iranians and Syrians?

People are more emotionally affected by stuff that hits closer to home. It's human nature and has nothing to do with media bias.
I don't know why that poster isn't getting coverage of the events in Syria in her country. This morning after reading her post, I opened my most recent copy of the news magazine I subscribe to, and it opened to the center of the magazine where there was a two page picture of a street in Aleppo with pictures and a story on the following pages. Here in the U.S. I read stories about Syria every week at the very least.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #53
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I don't know why that poster isn't getting coverage of the events in Syria in her country. This morning after reading her post, I opened my most recent copy of the news magazine I subscribe to, and it opened to the center of the magazine where there was a two page picture of a street in Aleppo with pictures and a story on the following pages. Here in the U.S. I read stories about Syria every week at the very least.
same here and its every day
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #54
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
same here and its every day
I'm sure the coverage is even more intense in Israel. And I'm not just talking about the stories published, only the ones I read. I don't read every single one I see,
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #55
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sure the coverage is even more intense in Israel. And I'm not just talking about the stories published, only the ones I read. I don't read every single one I see,
i know the number of dead every day, 6000 only in march but what kills ur soul is the videos...they Blur but u know whats going on
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #56
country flag Ilovetheblues_86

Ilovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetheblues_86 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we all should mourn about innocents lives, but of course in this case there are some geopolitics involved, specially if its a terrorist attack which pulsates the question- can the americans make something in the next 30-50 years to become less of a target of this attacks? Has/can he Obama improve(d) USA image in the last years of his government?

MAY THE SPIRIT OF KOSTAS PROTECT US
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #57
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well exactly. It gets coverage, but naturally the media is going to focus on stuff that has the greatest relevance to their readers.

It really pisses me off when people say that you're being a hypocrite because you care about this tragic event and not that tragic event. Whose right is it to dictate how people react emotionally to stuff? I don't call Castafiore a hypocrite because she sheds tears when her mother dies but not the stranger on the other side of the world.

Emotion =/= reason. You can believe that every life is equal, but care about some deaths more than others.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

I was sadden by the innocent lives lost and people maimed for life in this tragic event. I am more sadden by the lacking of compassion by some posts here.
Lee is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #59
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand that a lot of people posting here don't like the U.S. and resent just about anything they can about it, but if you are complaining about the amount of coverage your country's media give to this event, that is hardly the fault of the U.S.
Did I indicate that it is?

For me, it has nothing at all to do with not liking the US. (for the record, I do like the US).
This is a phenomenon I see in the media of many countries. Not just the US.

I'm not talking about the attention given to such events in my country either because I have a wider view than the borders of my own country (esp. given the fact that I live in a small country and I understand more than one language, I tend to follow the news across the borders in various regions online.
It's quite ludicrous to assume that I'm merely talking about coverage in my country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I am more sadden by the lacking of compassion by some posts here.
How do people lack compassion if you wonder how the media covers worldwide news events? It's very important to not just blindly accept such things but to ask questions. It has nothing to do with compassion or lack of compassion. It's important to keep asking questions on the media and how news events are covered.

Last edited by Castafiore : 04-16-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #60
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
sad news.

It'd be horrific to live in either of those countries irrespective of the bombings.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote