Roger news and articles - Page 135 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #2011
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roger news and articles

good to see him.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #2012
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

nice car Roger!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #2013
country flag mlrf11

Location: That soft pink cloud where "my avatar" sent me. ♡ ♡ ♡
mlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond repute

Please Roger - change or shoes or these black socks

BTW - very happy to see him back (in some way)
17 7 ⓇⒻ = Ⓣⓗⓔ ⓉⒺⓃⓃⒾⓈ #1 302

♡ ☼ ❤ ⓇⓄⒼⒺⓇ ❤ ☼ ♡
————————————————————————————————————————
* Haas * Dimitrov * Tsonga * Wawrinka *
The "Who plays tennis?" thread
mlrf11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #2014
country flag barbadosan

barbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond reputebarbadosan has a reputation beyond repute

good to see the pics. Looks really well in pic in post #2011

"[Roger] You Are My Magnificent Obsession"
barbadosan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #2015
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #2016
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Federer's Gamble

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 03, 2013 /BY PETER BODO

It’s a stretch to say that Andy Murray took the No. 2 ranking away from Roger Federer when he won the Miami Masters on Sunday. It’s more like Federer left the No. 2 ranking on the dashboard of his car and walked away—with the windows down and the engine running. Somebody was bound to come along.

No disrespect to Murray here; he’s a deserving number two and he may well have wrenched that ranking directly from Federer’s hand, given the chance. But Federer didn’t even show up in Miami. Thus, he gave up the paltry 45 points he earned there last year (he was upset in the third round by Andy Roddick) instead of beefing up his resistance to the Murray surge by replacing those points with a better haul.

Clearly, Roger isn’t sweating the rankings. He’s earned the right, officially and sentimentally, to play as often or as little as he likes. His decisions in that regard will have an impact on his ranking, though. It leaves us wondering how much longer we can count on Federer being around. He’s 31, though during a time when the familiar age barriers are tumbling—Federer himself was beaten in last year’s Halle final by Tommy Haas, who turns 35 today. But Federer also is a family man and a somewhat jaded warrior.

The Swiss icon says he enjoys training, surrounded by his family, at his home away from home in Dubai. He also appreciates the proverbial “smell of the greasepaint and the roar of the crowd” when he ventures forth to tournaments. But can he remain enough of a force in the game to feel comfortable and relevant if he eschews the rat-race aspect the tour—that mandate to grind away at a sufficient number of events, usually a mix of major and minor ones? That remains to be seen.

The pressure to perform at a high standard will only increase in direct proportion to the number of events Federer plays. He’s between a rock and a hard place: He may be happy to play just 14 tournaments (his schedule this year), which means that he’ll be playing four fewer events than the minimum requirement for mere mortals on the tour, those who haven’t earned similar exemptions. Every tournament will count toward his ranking, so one or two unexpectedly poor results will have an outsized impact on his position. And that means Federer could, at some point, end up meeting a Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal as early as the quarterfinals. (The latter came to pass at Indian Wells, when Nadal was ranked No. 5.)

Federer is, knowingly, taking a lot for granted—starting with his own superiority. Last year at this time, he’d already played seven events (including Davis Cup) and had accumulated 2,855 ranking points. This year, though, he’s eliminated three events (including Davis Cup) and has earned just 1,170 points.

Federer is coming off a terrific 2012—he won 71 matches, the most since he won 92 at the zenith of his powers in 2006. But the rolling ranking is inexorable, and Federer now has just as little margin for error as he loses or adds ranking points as he does when he pulls the trigger on that topspin backhand down the line. He’s counting on producing his best tennis, on demand, without a lot of throat clearing.

We haven’t seen Federer in about three weeks. And we won’t see him for over a month, until he makes his debut at the Madrid Masters. The good news for Federer is that he’s the defending champion; the bad news is that this year, the tournament is back on traditional red clay, after an unfortunate experiment with blue dirt. The slippery, quick surface suited Federer’s game. More important, it wigged out fierce red-clay traditionalists Nadal and Djokovic, who flamed out and then vowed not to return to Madrid if the tournament didn’t abandon the surface.

The upshot: Federer will be defending 1,000 points earned under fortuitous circumstances, and he’ll venture forth on the red clay without having played a competitive match in about two months. I think the world of Federer, but I also think that he’s taking enormous chances. Players get in a groove and winning—or in some cases, losing—becomes automatic, partly because of endless repetition. Now he’ll have to go out and produce right away, from something like a cold start. It seemed to work for him at the first Grand Slam of the year, when he made the semis. Will it also pan out mid-season?

Madrid is the start of a three-tournament clay swing for Federer. In 2012, he was also a semifinalist in Rome and at Roland Garros, losing to Djokovic on each occasion. That’s a superb record, but in the two previous years in Rome, Federer lost to Richard Gasquet (round three, 2011) and Ernests Gulbis (second round, 2010). He’s been stellar at Roland Garros throughout his career, but then, he’s gone in with a high ranking for almost a decade. Nobody can be sure he’ll roll into Paris quite as well insulated this year.

This then is the Federer bind—and the Federer gamble. You can’t fault him for the decision to be more selective in the events he plays, or for listening to his body (and heart) and creating exactly the kind of schedule that enables him to hit what he believes is the right balance. But tennis isn’t designed to accommodate the needs of an over-30 player (or an under-20, for that matter). It’s not graded on a curve, even if it makes special concession for players, like Federer, who have performed outstanding service. What it doesn’t give them is any consideration when it comes to how build a ranking. Nobody is keeping Federer’s seat warm at No. 2—or four, or six, or nine, or 11.

Federer has spoken enthusiastically about extending his career until the next Olympic Games in 2016, and there’s no doubt that, barring some disaster, he’ll still be a very dangerous player at that time. Heck, he’ll be younger than ATP No. 14 Haas is right now. The looming question is whether Federer will endure a trip south in the rankings. How far is he willing to fall and still feel that it’s okay, that he’s loving the challenge, enjoying the scenery, and living the life?

Last year at this time, Haas was ranked No. 137. He asked for a wild card into the French Open, but they refused him. Thus, he had to qualify—and to his credit he did so; he ended up playing six matches before losing Gasquet in the third round of the main draw.

Granted, the situation was different, as Haas was coming back from one of his innumerable injuries. But you have to wonder, how far behind the leaders on the tour would Federer be willing to fall before he begins to question the wisdom of what he’s doing?

It’s a question every single player on earth, from the lowliest journeyman to the greatest of champions, must face one day. This may not be the day Federer has to address it, but the next few months will tell us—and him—an awful lot. The only thing I myself feel confident about is that if he ever asks the Roland Garros pooh-bahs for a wild card, he will not be denied.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UV8wy6KG3-0

I know you probably when you saw the author, but it's worth a read.
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #2017
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #2018
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

There was an interview with Roger in Swiss media today and I thought to translate it:

„I’m playing in Basel, even without agreements”

by René Stauffer

Roger Federer ends the speculations and declares that he is going to play at the 2013 Swiss Indoors. Under new signs.

Roger Federer is in the middle of a 7 weeks tournamentfree building phase which he spends for most of the time in Switzerland at the Lake Zurich. Yesterday the 31year old #3 in the ranking and record Grand Slam winner made a standpoint and made clear that he is going to play the Swiss Indoors in Basel in autumn, which he has won 5 times already, despite his contract with the tournament has expired.

You are in the middle of a nearly 2 months rest of competition. What are you doing during this time?

First I recovered from the tournaments in Rotterdam, Dubai and Indian Wells. I had a short holiday but already after 9 days I started to work again. I didn’t want to do nothing for 3 weeks. I’m in Switzerland now for a while and do fitness training, I also started to play tennis again.

Despite the bad weather? Doesn’t this delay your build-up so short before the clay season?

As I mainly worked on my fitness the weather wasn’t a big problem for me. I played indoors on clay and 2 times on HC. I’m happy that the weather gets warmer at the weekend because then I can start to practice hard outside. Within the next weeks the practice is going to get more intense. It would be important that I get good practice conditions 2 weeks before the tournament in Madrid. It would be nice if the weather keeps up.

How is your back which bothered you a lot in Indian Wells, especially in the QF against Rafael Nadal?

I’m satisfied and can do everything again. But it took longer as I thought. I’m happy that I can practice again now and play tennis. In Indian Wells everything took place in quick succession. I couldn’t recover enough from the match against Wawrinka and against a player like Nadal you can’t win in such a condition. I don’t know to how many % fit I was. I just wanted to try it. The rest came at the right time.

Do you stay in Switzerland until the start of the clay season and will let sparringspartners fly in just like in the last years?

Exactly. Severin (Lüthi) is in contact with several players who could come. I’m pleased that I can have this preparation in Switzerland. Later on Paul (Annacone) will be here as well, at the stage in which I’m going to play tennis for 4, 5 hours a day and don’t work on the fitness anymore.

You haven’t been in Switzerland for that many weeks for a very long time. Do you enjoy this?

Absolutely. I missed Switzerland in the last years. It is great to play in the nature with the little ones and to be here with friends and family and to work on things. I could come down a bit from the stressful daily routine on the tour and to find back to normality. 2012 was extremely stressful due to the Olympic Games. I really enjoyed the last weeks even though the weather was bad.

On Wednesday the next Davis Cup opponent of Switzerland will be known. Will it depend on that if you are going to play in September?

We have to take who we get. I don’t know if I’m going to play. There’s still enough time.

Another open question is if you are going to play in Basel in autumn after your contract has run out.

For me it was always sure: I’m also going to play the Swiss Indoors in 2013. I haven’t commentated on it yet but now the moment has arrived. I have always played in Basel during all those years when I wasn’t injured. Everyone knows how much the tournament means to me and that is still the case. I was a ballboy there, played once in the qualification and got to play as a junior against Andre Agassi. I experienced many unforgettable moments in this unique atmosphere with the great fans and I’m extremely happy that I can experience it again this year.

So there has been made an agreement in the meantime between the Swiss Indoors and you?

No, but it wasn’t necessary. I can play in Basel without any contracts or agreements when I want to and that’s want I want. It is always very special to play in front of a home crowd when you are on the tour the whole year. I don’t want to miss this chance.

There were many discussions about the negotiations between you and tournament director Roger Brennwald. Rumours and speculations and there was the talk of many money. And now you just play?

I don’t really want to say anything more to it because it could be mistaken again. I have never said that I won’t play in Basel. Now I just try to simplifiy this complicated issue.

Does it mean that you are going to skip Paris-Bercy again then?

I have often missed tournaments due to the Swiss Indoors, so it’s nothing new. I love to to to Asia or Paris but you have to set priorities and Basel has always been one of my priorities.

In the year ranking you are an unfamiliar #8. Have you considered to play tournaments earlier on due to this?

I have indeed thought about it for a moment. But I have always said that this year the practice and the recovery will be in the centre and I want to continue this way. What I can save today as energy I can invest later on. In the time when you don’t play you fill your reserve tank and I noticed this over the years. Beside this I find that I haven’t played that badly. I was good in Australia. Rotterdam (loss against Benneteau) was disappointing, in Dubai I should have never lost in the SF (against Berdych) and who knows what would have happened then. It’s not worth it to overanalyze this stage. Now I’m preparing myself that I can do better in the next months.

Original Swiss source: http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/te...story/17293661
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #2019
country flag SUKTUEN

Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #2020
country flag StingSuperior

StingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond reputeStingSuperior has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the translation Eden! Good to hear Roger is returning to Basel. Its annoying that Basel, Bercy and London WTF are all consecutive tournaments, making it hard to commit to both Basel and Bercy ahead of time. At least next year there will be a week break between Paris and London.
StingSuperior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #2021
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Doris!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #2022
country flag Fed_Ds

Fed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond reputeFed_Ds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingSuperior View Post
Thanks for the translation Eden! Good to hear Roger is returning to Basel. Its annoying that Basel, Bercy and London WTF are all consecutive tournaments, making it hard to commit to both Basel and Bercy ahead of time. At least next year there will be a week break between Paris and London.
I agree. Whose idea was that anyways?
Fed_Ds is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #2023
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid idea. But I always thought he would play Basel, anyway.
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #2024
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the translation Eden! Good to hear Roger is returning to Basel. Its annoying that Basel, Bercy and London WTF are all consecutive tournaments, making it hard to commit to both Basel and Bercy ahead of time.
This schedule is ridiculous indeed.

Quote:
At least next year there will be a week break between Paris and London.
Hopefully Roger will be still around then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
thanks Doris!
You are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed_Ds View Post
Whose idea was that anyways?
The ATP came up with some strange ideas during the last years

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Stupid idea. But I always thought he would play Basel, anyway.
As I said in the schedule thread it was totally unthinkable for me that he would skip Basel.

This tournament is really special for him - you only have to look at his emotions over all the years there...

According to Swiss media Roger plays without any appperance fee as long as he won't have a new contract but on the other hand it means for the tournament that they won't be able to use Roger for making promotion.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #2025
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Roger is preparing with Andreas Vinciguerra for the clay court season

http://www.eurosport.se/tennis/feder...07/story.shtml