Curling thread - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curling thread

Anybody else interested in this great game?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch the European Ch'ships at all so far but that's gonna change this weekend. The Round Robin is now over and the playoffs will start tonight with [1] Sweden v. [2] Czech Republic and [3] Norway v. [4] Denmark games. The winner of SWE-CZE will get to final, the loser of SWE-CZE will play against the winner of NOR-DEN for the 2nd final spot.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 European Curling Championships, Karlstad (Sweden) - 7-15 Dec

Not on TV here so no.

Canadian Open is on TV here currently though so I am watching curling

Welcome Your Newest Top 10 Member

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
156mphserve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
country flag 156mphserve

156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute156mphserve has a reputation beyond repute

This explains the lack of european teams in the canadian open. Usually they have 3 international teams, this time it's only 1.

Suprised Snitil finished 2nd though. The Czech's usually finish towarsd the bottom in the worlds. Impressive that he beat so many teams that usually finish ahead of him.

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
country flag The Prince

The Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond reputeThe Prince has a reputation beyond repute

I like curling, but there's really no coverage at all of it. I really only get into it during the Winter Olympics.

Thanks for the thread, though.
The Prince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156mphserve View Post
Not on TV here so no.

Canadian Open is on TV here currently though so I am watching curling
Non-Europeans can watch Euros here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldCurlingTV/featured

Schedule: http://ecc2012.curlingevents.com/tv-...erage-schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
I like curling, but there's really no coverage at all of it. I really only get into it during the Winter Olympics.

Sounds familiar. Olympics are the only time you can see curling on free-to-air channels (that's the case with tennis in Finland, too). But I assume European and World Ch'ships are the only events shown even on pay-per-view channels. But truly a fascinating sport to watch.

Anyway, in the evening's games, Sweden beat Czech Republic and get to final. Czechs will now play Norway for the 2nd final spot. Norway beat Denmark, and Denmark will play against the loser of CZE-NOR for the bronze medal.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
country flag Mae
GOTHIC PRINCESS

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post

Actually I like curling! My family thinks I'm out of my mind But, of course, it's the same with me only coverage during the Winter Olympics and then not even much of that! To say curling isn't big in the U.S. would be a huge understatement!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
country flag August

Norway beat Czech Republic to get to tomorrow's final against host country Sweden. Czechs will play tonight the bronze match against Denmark.

In women's side the playoffs start tonight with [1] Sweden v. [2] Scotland and [3] Russia v. [4] Denmark matches. Winner of SWE-SCO will get to final, loser will play a SF against the winner of RUS-DEN.

And Finland won the Gruop B and is promoted to Group A for the next year. Finland also plays against France for a spot in the World Ch'ships. Sochi probably comes too early but hopefully there will be moments like Torino 2006 for Finnish curling in the future. (And without final loss, please)

Those games made me interested in curling.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
country flag August

Scotland and Russia are women's finalists tomorrow. I'll be rooting for Scots even if Russia have some nice-looking players like this.

To prevent this getting into offtopic, I won't post those pics here but just put Ekaterina Galkina to Google image search and you'll find her bikini pics.

In men's side, Czech Republic won the bronze match against Denmark. I think Czech Rep. is a smaller curling country so their medal was good for the game.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Last edited by August : 12-15-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
country flag 156mphserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
And Finland won the Gruop B and is promoted to Group A for the next year. Finland also plays against France for a spot in the World Ch'ships. Sochi probably comes too early but hopefully there will be moments like Torino 2006 for Finnish curling in the future. (And without final loss, please)

Those games made me interested in curling.
Brad Gushue winning the Gold medal, good times. First and Only Newfie to win an olympic medal I think

He wasn't even expected to challenge for being Canada's representative at the time so it was pretty awesome.

Canadian Open getting really interesting. Gushue lost his 1st one today, currently 3-1. There are a crapload of teams at 2-2, many of whom could drop to 2-3 which normally wouldn't make the playoffs but with the way this thing is shaping up there could be a bucketload of tiebreakers with those teams at 2-3

Raonic

Proud Canadian
11-13 San Jose 3-Peat
2012 Chennai Champion
Old 12-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry man. I really like you but this sport . You couldn't have found bigger sport tard but really
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
country flag August

Today Sweden beat Norway in men's final and Russia beat Scotland in women's final. In women's bronze match, Sweden beat Denmark.

And Finland qualified for the Worlds!

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Russia's Women team has really become strong. Still a little up-and-down, though. I believe they're the first team to win a championship after having been trounced by another team in the RR. Sweden beat them 12-2, if I remember correctly.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
country flag August

Default Re: Curling thread - World Championship in Victoria, Canada

World Championship has gotten to the playoff stage.

Scotland won the round robin and played against 2nd placed Sweden for the first final place. Sweden won that match and got to the final, Scotland will play for the 2nd final place against the winner of the other 1st playoff round match, Denmark-Canada. Denmark beat Canada in round robin and, nothing against Canada, but I'd love Denmark to win again to see either Denmark or Scotland in the final. Too bad Scotland lost the 1st playoff match, otherwise we might have had a Scotland-Denmark final.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
country flag August

Sweden just won the World Championship final against Canada. They weren't too good in the round robin, they were almost struggling to make it to the play-offs. But they took a good win over Canada in the last round robin game and went on to win the title to follow their European Championship from December. Scotland won the bronze medal game against Denmark. Denmark did well in round robin but just like in the European Ch'ship, they lost the bronze medal game. I really would've hoped them to win a medal, they have only two World Ch'ship medals, bronze in '85 and '90.

Stan Wawrinka

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
country flag J99

J99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond reputeJ99 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Canada/the skip just did not play today like they did yesterday vs. Scotland, sad to see them lose like that, it would have been ok to lose if they had known that they played their best, but they didn't.

TT stats site: http://mtftt.info/

Melzer, Rafa, Fognini, Murray, Pospisil, Ferrer, Haas, Dolgopolov, Almagro, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Kohlschreiber, Robredo, Benneteau, Simon, Janowicz, plus a lot more, mostly, if not all clay courters, but firstly just the game itself.
J99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote