Rafachat - Vol. 80: Another great year for our great champion! :D - Page 110 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #1636
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafachat - Vol. 80: It's comeback time baby!!! :rocker2:

I much prefer to do my tennis talking on twitter these days - so much more control over who you read and can block those you don't want to read.

So in the end I was only coming here to do moderating and it just became a chore. Time to hand it over to others, maybe they can do a better job. I think you need to care a little bit to do that job well and I no longer do care.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #1637
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I much prefer to do my tennis talking on twitter these days - so much more control over who you read and can block those you don't want to read.

So in the end I was only coming here to do moderating and it just became a chore. Time to hand it over to others, maybe they can do a better job. I think you need to care a little bit to do that job well and I no longer do care.
Your twitter posts are apways entertaining and informative. Keep up the good work there.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #1638
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I enjoy being a wiseass on there.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #1639
country flag wildegirl05
ˇHala Madrid!

wildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Evita- View Post
So you stepped down from moderating MTF, Chris. That's too bad but I can understand you. Lots of work and no reward.
There is definitely a reward. It's not monetary but psychological. unless of course Evita, you ascribe to Bourdieu rather than rational choice.

Ild, I have relatives visiting Brussels for a few weeks. What things (not expensive diamonds) should they plan to buy as little gifts? I've requested a souvenir from the tintin museum

P.s - exchange above mine made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
What penalty? Messi dived.
wildegirl05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #1640
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildegirl05 View Post
Ild, I have relatives visiting Brussels for a few weeks. What things (not expensive diamonds) should they plan to buy as little gifts? I've requested a souvenir from the tintin museum
They're going to the Tintin museum in La Louvičre? They'll love it. The building itself is worth the visit.

Little gifts? Difficult to say.
I'd stay away from the typical tourist gifts (you know those shops you can find in any city that attracts tourists). There's a lot of tacky things involving Manneken Pis, which I would avoid.

You can go for "lace" because Belgium is known for lace. The problem with that is that Belgian-made lace is expensive. Most of the lace sold is made in low wage countries. My german sister is in the USA for 3 months and she asked me to buy some home-made lace. There's a shop on the Grand Place of Brussels where you can buy some but you'd have to ask for Belgian made lace. You basically have 2 types of Belgian lace: Brussels style lace and Brugge style lace.
Antique lace is beyond expensive. However, you can still buy lace that's recently made in Belgium for a reasonable price. I bought my sister a piece of lace to put on a coffee table for about € 50.

(lace is not really my thing, but some people love it)

If they want to buy food other than chocolate. Belgians love their food, but I'd go for speculoos. It's easy to take with you in your luggage, it doesn't melt. This shop (link) is in the heart of the city and it has a very good reputation. Apparently, their speculoos is otherwordly. (I'm ashamed to say that I haven't tasted it, although I LOVE speculoos).
http://www.maisondandoy.com/en/home/

I don't know if you're fond of (hand)bags but one of the advantages of living in Belgium is that we have more than our fair share of exquisite bags.
They go from the affordable (Kipling is quite known worldwide and it's Belgian, there's a Kipling store near the Grand Place on the Grasmarkt, if I'm not mistaken) to the more expensive (Nathan Baume, Yves Renard ) to the outrageously expensive (Delvaux )

Brussels has a lot of flea markets and antique shops. They can visit the flea market where Tintin found that ship that features in the Spielberg movie.
The best antique shops + that Tintin flea market are in the Zavel area (petit Sablon/kleine Zavel) which is also in the historic area of the city.

On the "Grasmarkt", which is also near the Grand Place by the way, there's a shop "The Brussels Corner" where you can buy a lot of "I love Brussels" stuff. It sounds tacky as well, but they actually have some nice things.
(incidentally, there's a beer shop right next to it)

The Dansaert area is the more artsy area where you can find designer stuff and the more original concept stores.

There's a "Museum of Belgian Comic Strip" in Brussels. The building itself is another gem in the Art Nouveau style. It's been ages since I visited it but I remember it having a very cool shop. I was like a kid in a candy store when I saw that shop.
http://www.comicscenter.net/en/home

Online guide to shops in Brussels

If they're looking for diamonds , they need to go to Antwerp but the more expensive diamonds are in safe areas anyway (so not the typical shopping Streets)
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #1641
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

There's a psychological award for moderating MTF?

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #1642
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Easter!
Hope to still see you around people, at least some of you!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #1643
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Easter, Maria.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #1644
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

5 weeks until my Easter
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #1645
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

I'd avoid the Manneken Pis altogether, it's totally underwhelming.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #1646
country flag Castafiore

Well, if you visit the Grand Place, you might as well go and see Manneken Pis because it's close, but don't expect too much of it because it's only a little statue on the corner of a street.
Besides, the real, original Manneken Pis statue isn't even in Brussels (in Geraardsbergen, I believe).

When I visited the Louvre in Paris, people said that we just had to visit the Mona Lisa and that painting was underwhelming to me too. I don't quite understand the big hoopla around that one.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #1647
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, for me too

Plus, it was so crowded in front of it that I got bored and started to look around. This way I discovered The wedding of Cana and I fell inlove at 1st sight and spend the next 15 minutes staring at that huge awesomeness and I left Louvre without actually seeing Mona Lisa
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #1648
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

When I went to the Louvre I think I only covered about 20% of it. What a great experience the Mona Lisa was standing behind 50 people with their camera phones out.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #1649
country flag acionescu

All Chinese, I bet [/racist]

When I went to Paris this winter, in the last day I went to Notre Dame to buy some souvenirs. As it was very early and the Church shop didn't seem to be open I approached two tourists that seemed to wait for the shop to open too and started to talk. It was very dark and I couldn't see them properly. They said they waited for the shop to open and asked me if it was worthy to buy the souvenirs from the Church shop. I said "Of course, it is, first because all the objects must be blessed and secondly, because they are probably originals and not "made in China" where only fake stuff is made and of poor quality, etc..." and keep bashing the Chinese merchandise about 10 minutes until the shop was open.
We went to the shop windows which had a lot more light and the two tourists were Chinese, of course
Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #1650
country flag wildegirl05
ˇHala Madrid!

wildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond reputewildegirl05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
They're going to the Tintin museum in La Louvičre? They'll love it. The building itself is worth the visit.

Little gifts? Difficult to say.
I'd stay away from the typical tourist gifts (you know those shops you can find in any city that attracts tourists). There's a lot of tacky things involving Manneken Pis, which I would avoid.

You can go for "lace" because Belgium is known for lace. The problem with that is that Belgian-made lace is expensive. Most of the lace sold is made in low wage countries. My german sister is in the USA for 3 months and she asked me to buy some home-made lace. There's a shop on the Grand Place of Brussels where you can buy some but you'd have to ask for Belgian made lace. You basically have 2 types of Belgian lace: Brussels style lace and Brugge style lace.
Antique lace is beyond expensive. However, you can still buy lace that's recently made in Belgium for a reasonable price. I bought my sister a piece of lace to put on a coffee table for about € 50.

(lace is not really my thing, but some people love it)

If they want to buy food other than chocolate. Belgians love their food, but I'd go for speculoos. It's easy to take with you in your luggage, it doesn't melt. This shop (link) is in the heart of the city and it has a very good reputation. Apparently, their speculoos is otherwordly. (I'm ashamed to say that I haven't tasted it, although I LOVE speculoos).
http://www.maisondandoy.com/en/home/

I don't know if you're fond of (hand)bags but one of the advantages of living in Belgium is that we have more than our fair share of exquisite bags.
They go from the affordable (Kipling is quite known worldwide and it's Belgian, there's a Kipling store near the Grand Place on the Grasmarkt, if I'm not mistaken) to the more expensive (Nathan Baume, Yves Renard ) to the outrageously expensive (Delvaux )

Brussels has a lot of flea markets and antique shops. They can visit the flea market where Tintin found that ship that features in the Spielberg movie.
The best antique shops + that Tintin flea market are in the Zavel area (petit Sablon/kleine Zavel) which is also in the historic area of the city.

On the "Grasmarkt", which is also near the Grand Place by the way, there's a shop "The Brussels Corner" where you can buy a lot of "I love Brussels" stuff. It sounds tacky as well, but they actually have some nice things.
(incidentally, there's a beer shop right next to it)

The Dansaert area is the more artsy area where you can find designer stuff and the more original concept stores.

There's a "Museum of Belgian Comic Strip" in Brussels. The building itself is another gem in the Art Nouveau style. It's been ages since I visited it but I remember it having a very cool shop. I was like a kid in a candy store when I saw that shop.
http://www.comicscenter.net/en/home

Online guide to shops in Brussels

If they're looking for diamonds , they need to go to Antwerp but the more expensive diamonds are in safe areas anyway (so not the typical shopping Streets)

Ild :wors hip:: worship:

Your whole post is going straight into my email. Many thanks!!!

You should write for those lonely planet books
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
What penalty? Messi dived.
wildegirl05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote