Wimbledon to Add Second Roof - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
country flag Tiebreak100

Tiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon to Add Second Roof

Just further confirmation that this will happen. Hopefully this puts pressure on the third world slams in Paris and New York.

Wimbledon is set to give the green light to a roof above Court No 1 as part of another substantial redevelopment of the All England Club.
The club’s hierarchy are believed to have already made the decision to cover the 11,500-seater secondary arena as part of a ‘Wimbledon 2020’ plan that will go further than had been anticipated.
According to well-placed sources among the SW19 membership the move towards a roof is expected to be unveiled as early as next month, with priority given to the project once this summer’s Championships are over.

Unlike Centre Court, the secondary arena was designed to be ‘roof-ready’ when it was built in 1997, so the associated costs and logistical demands, while high, will not be as severe as the huge construction completed in 2009 to cover its iconic big brother.

A wider scheme is also set to include alterations to the area behind the Royal Box, an upgrade to practice facilities and a rebuild of the indoor court complex near the main arena.
A covered Court No 1 will be another huge step forward for the tournament and guarantee two sets of matches for television, and more than 27,000 spectators, whatever the weather.

However, there are challenges: not least the volume of air conditioning required to keep the right conditions for grass. When the Centre Court was covered a new electricity sub-station needed to be built close by to supply the necessary energy.
The total cost of redeveloping the main arena is often put at £100million, though a source involved in the construction says it was closer to £150m.
The simpler Court No 1 roof would not be as expensive but outlay on that and other projects could affect the annual surplus handed to the Lawn Tennis Association and its impending new leadership.
In a rare public discussion of construction ideas 18 months ago AELTC chairman Philip Brook said a roof on No 1 would be ‘a desirable thing’.

Brook won agreement over a three-week gap between the French Open and The Championships from 2015 and, while there is no fixed timetable, the new roof may coincide with that.
The All England continues to tread a delicate line between maintaining tradition and innovation.
With lucrative broadcasting rights and tickets in demand, covered courts are wanted but not always possible.
The Australian Open has two roofs with a third being built. The French Open would like to follow suit but face logistical struggles.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...#ixzz2OE2Vphi5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited by Tiebreak100 : 03-22-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Tiebreak100 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wimbledon to Add Second Roof

New York has no roof either, why leave the USTA out of it?

Good move this tho.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

And the USO still doesn't have even one
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
23 consecutive slam SF
3/4 slams on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards
Proving the haters wrong...priceless
Honestly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
country flag se7en

se7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond reputese7en has a reputation beyond repute

That's why USO is my least favorite major. Crazy crowd, noisy, stupid scheduling, stupid crowd
se7en is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
That's why USO is my least favorite major. Crazy crowd, noisy, stupid scheduling, stupid crowd
really?After AO it's my favorite .....I hate Wimbledon
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #7
country flag Tiebreak100

Tiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond reputeTiebreak100 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
You hate the slam held in Britain? That really does surprise me
Tiebreak100 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Great news. Now if they made the grass faster, like it should be, Wimbeldon would be clearly the best slam.

Stanislas Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Wawrinka winning the 2014 Australian Open is the best thing happened to tennis since Federer winning Wimbledon in 2003
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

AO will have 3 roofs, Wimbledon 2, French 1, US Open 0, US Open sucks.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon making the slow shift to indoor grass

On a more serious note, this is a great decision. If only the USTA would bother
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute

A retractable roof on Arthur Ashe would be a great engineering accomplishment. There must be many itching to take on this challenge.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
A retractable roof on Arthur Ashe would be a great engineering accomplishment. There must be many itching to take on this challenge.
How on earth can they do it considering the piece of crap swamp land the tournament is sitting on?

Thank you Stanimal for taking out the trash at AO!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
country flag Sri

Sri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond reputeSri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobama View Post
How on earth can they do it considering the piece of crap swamp land the tournament is sitting on?
I don't know, I haven't specialized as a civil engineer. But if the Dutch can recover land from the oceans, putting a roof, as challenging as it is, surely is not impossible.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

good news
62 Titles | 26 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 126 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 674 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
Lol no surprises why these slams are your favourites...

GOOD LUCK IN UNRETIREMENT JOHNNY GROOVE
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote