FO won't raise prize money as much as the AO and USO - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default FO won't raise prize money as much as the AO and USO

As I feared and had talked about several times in this forum, the French Open will have difficulty to follow the other tournaments in their path for a bigger budget and more prize money. The danger of falling behind the other slams had been clear for long. It also seems that players now may get unhappy about the French Open.

Quote:
Roland Garros to raise prize money; will not match U.S. Open increase
Thursday, March 21, 2013 /by Matt Cronin

Roland Garros tournament director, Gilbert Ysern tells The New York Times that the French Open plans to increase prize money “spectacularly” from 2013 to 2016, but won’t match the U.S. Open’s massive increase.

The USTA announced on Wednesday that it will offer a $33.6 million purse in 2013, a 31.7 percent increase over 2012, and will give out $50 million by 2017.

“We’re going to be below the U.S. Open, but we’re on the same path,” said Ysern. “I think quite sincerely that there’s a logic to paying the players more than we have until now. I am particularly convinced there’s a logic to reducing the gap between the first-week players and the second-week players and to raise the prize money for the first week. I think that really is logical, but after that, I think you have to be reasonable.”

ATP Board member Justin Gimelstob told The Times that the players are taking a close look at Roland Garros expansion plans, which include new mini- stadiums and a roof over center court. However, those plans are currently on hold as a Paris judge recently ruled that the plans don’t satisfy environmental regulations.

“The players view that as building on their sweat equity,” Gimelstob said. “The French Open is in tremendous jeopardy of falling behind after what the U.S. Open and Australian Open have announced.”
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UUtizBq2u9s

Can someone explain me the meaning of that sentence

“The players view that as building on their sweat equity” ?

Last edited by duong : 03-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
country flag Wing Man Frank
Banned!

Wing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond reputeWing Man Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French open won't raise prize money as much as the AO and USO

Rather than adding another $16.4m to the US Open prize pool, why not filter that down and improve the challenger and future circuits? Pathetic.
Wing Man Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FO won't raise prize money as much as the AO and USO

The main problem is that Roland-Garros is too small, comparing to the 3 other slams, and hasn't been modernized early enough, comparing to the AO and Wimbledon.

Now the plan to enlarge Roland-Garros, which involves large costs of course, comes too late, and also they chose to stay inside Paris, which leads to a very restricted plan and to all kinds of law problems.

Then the players' demand to increase the prize money really arrived at a bad moment for the French Tennis Federation's plan.

They're really in a mess now.

Last edited by duong : 03-21-2013 at 08:21 PM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

great, as if we need another reason for Nadal to increase his RG record.

Pay your respects to the vultures....

Did you know: the famous gangster Al Capone's criminal headquarters was based inside of a hotel?

Commiserations to the Fedturds
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

RG is the worst slam. No increase of the prize money, no roof, no lights not even on center court and the worst crowd of them all
nole_no1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
country flag Ziggy B

Ziggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy B has a reputation beyond repute

RG is my least favourite slam in general but I think the prize fund raise for the US Open was pretty ridiculous, unless it's being distributed a lot fairer? I'm not 100% on the details but if its like an extra 2 million to the winner it's ridiculous when ordinary folks are making what, 30k a year? Sounds irrelevant I know but all the extravagance is hard to stomach when your living in Britain right now lol. Still rather the money went into tennis than some fat cat's bank balance though.

FEDERER - MURRAY - DEL POTRO - DIMITROV - GASQUET - WAWRINKA - TSONGA - HEWITT - FOGNINI - HAAS - KOHLSCHREIBER - NALBANDIAN
Ziggy B is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
RG is the worst slam. No increase of the prize money, no roof, no lights not even on center court and the worst crowd of them all
did you even read the article?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
country flag acionescu

acionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond reputeacionescu has a reputation beyond repute

I fell that somehow this thread would end up in the "Tio Toni is to blame" and "Nadal sucks" territory
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
country flag nole_no1

nole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond reputenole_no1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post
did you even read the article?
Oh sorry i admit i didn't read it. But still that is not changing my opinion
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_no1 View Post
I guess in no way is this related to RG being the only Slam Nole hasn't won.

Either that or you never watched RG pre-Nadal.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
country flag nole_no1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
I guess in no way is this related to RG being the only Slam Nole hasn't won.
Trust me it's not. I mentioned the reasons why i think RG is the worst slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
Either that or you never watched RG pre-Nadal.
And as i watch tennis only from 2005 when Nadal won his first title against Puerta no i didn't watch RG pre-Nadal but i don't see how that makes any difference
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy B View Post
RG is my least favourite slam in general but I think the prize fund raise for the US Open was pretty ridiculous, unless it's being distributed a lot fairer? I'm not 100% on the details but if its like an extra 2 million to the winner it's ridiculous when ordinary folks are making what, 30k a year? Sounds irrelevant I know but all the extravagance is hard to stomach when your living in Britain right now lol. Still rather the money went into tennis than some fat cat's bank balance though.
the increase in the US Open is the same as in the Australian open actually. The Australian open is the one which impulsed the movement. As for the money for the winner, so far the distribution for the US Open is still undecided according to what they said.

Somebody answered me about “The players view that as building on their sweat equity” :

the sweat equity is the hard work contribution of the players.

As for "building on", I personally think Gimelstob means that as the French Open says that they won't give them as much money because of their building plan, players feel that "their" money is taken to build the new stadium.

It can be said that the new stadium will also partly benefit players in the end, but it can also be said that it will not be the same players : it will be players of the future
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #13
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
The main problem is that Roland-Garros is too small, comparing to the 3 other slams, and hasn't been modernized early enough, comparing to the AO and Wimbledon.

Now the plan to enlarge Roland-Garros, which involves large costs of course, comes too late, and also they chose to stay inside Paris, which leads to a very restricted plan and to all kinds of law problems.

Then the players' demand to increase the prize money really arrived at a bad moment for the French Tennis Federation's plan.

They're really in a mess now.
duong you're being a baby, ROland Garros operates fine every year, and unlike US OPen (the tournament with so called great amenities and prize money) schedules well and is not always playing into a 3rd week
tennis players get paid enough as it is, they fucking hit a ball over a net for gods sake, don't need you or some idiotic players whining about it.
as another poster mentioned it's clownish and unecessary to add millions more for someone winning the title and later stages, earlier stages is the only place where it's needed

Roland Garros has history and is fine where it is

there are enough courts, there is never scheduling problems, and the stadiums are large enough.
you and dumbass Justin Gimlestob are finding faults in the wrong things, the French is very well organized and $$$$ should not be the #1 priority always in sport
superficially in the background maybe, but you're being inane to claim that the French is doing bad for itself, it's organized 10x better than the US open and no amount of prize money will change that

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #14
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
the increase in the US Open is the same as in the Australian open actually. The Australian open is the one which impulsed the movement. As for the money for the winner, so far the distribution for the US Open is still undecided according to what they said.

Somebody answered me about “The players view that as building on their sweat equity” :

the sweat equity is the hard work contribution of the players.

As for "building on", I personally think Gimelstob means that as the French Open says that they won't give them as much money because of their building plan, players feel that "their" money is taken to build the new stadium.

It can be said that the new stadium will also partly benefit players in the end, but it can also be said that it will not be the same players : it will be players of the future
wah wah wah, players whining about stadium being built win they already get paid lots at slam level and Roland Garros has promised a $$$ increase as well
my god

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #15
country flag MalwareDie

MalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond reputeMalwareDie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am particularly convinced there’s a logic to reducing the gap between the first-week players and the second-week players and to raise the prize money for the first week. I think that really is logical, but after that, I think you have to be reasonable.”
I approve.
MalwareDie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote