Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10 - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #46
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fed stats - with most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Three weeks from now, Federer will tie Lendl at 524 consecutive weeks in the top 5. He will surpass Lendl at 525 total weeks in the top 5.
You are here referring to the 524 weeks Wikipedia gives, which start 11/1-82 since this is the first accessible ATP ranking to place Lendl in the top-5. Trouble is, the previous ranking given on ATP is from 22/12-80. It seems obvious to me he didn't linger in 6th position thoughout the entire 1981 only then to advance to 2nd at the beginning of 1982. This is also a good indicator that he was not ranked 6th in 1981, his 3rd seed in 1981 US Open, ahead of Connors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_US...en%27s_Singles

If fact, Connors 4th seed at the Open is very much tempting me to remove him from the top of the "consecutive weeks in the top-3" list where he is supposed to have been from 1974 to 1984. He should then also be downgraded on the total weeks in top-3 list. By how much? Now, that is the problem. Any suggestions will be welcome.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #47
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Remove it and cite the link to Connors at 4 at the USO. Also, what about Lendl? Did he drop out at any point in the consecutive top 3 as well?

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #48
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Show me your numbers and ranking points for this period, because it's actually a very interesting period of tennis history, say from 1975 to about 1984 when Borg retired.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #49
country flag JediFed

Both links are invalid. Now I have to do some digging.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Ev...x?e=560&y=1981

Drawsheet confirmed.

Litotes, pull down that record!

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

Last edited by JediFed : 02-06-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #50
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Remove it and cite the link to Connors at 4 at the USO. Also, what about Lendl? Did he drop out at any point in the consecutive top 3 as well?
Connors' streak is downgraded, leaving only Lendl ahead on the consecutive top-3. I do not know when exactly he dropped so I set the date at the start of the 1981 US Open. He was certainly still top-3 at the FO.

If Lendl too dropped out at some point it would have to have been in 1983, but I can see no evidence for this. He was certainly seeded in the top-3 in all slams he entered at the time, disregarding Wimbledon as they always had their own seeding ideas.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #51
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #52
country flag JediFed

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Ev...x?e=421&y=1981

This shows that at Montreal in 1981, Connors was still ahead of Lendl.

Connors (3), Lendl (4) by then, despite his disastrous Wimbledon.

And there we go. That's it. Lendl surpassed Connors after Montreal by winning the tournament. So we can date Lendl's start at 3 back to Montreal, August 10th, 1981.

Connors has from August 3rd 1981- June 4th 1974 in the top 3, some 7 years, 2 months, or 372 weeks.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

Last edited by JediFed : 02-06-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #53
country flag JediFed

1980 French Open

Borg
McEnroe
Connors
Vilas

1980 Wimbledon

Borg
McEnroe
Connors
Gerulaitis

1980 US Open

Borg
McEnroe
Connors
Vilas

1981 French Open

Borg
Connors
McEnroe
Mayer
Lendl
Vilas

1981 Wimbledon

Borg
McEnroe
Connors
Lendl

August 2nd 1981

McEnroe
Borg
Connors
Lendl

Montreal (August 10th, 1981

McEnroe
Borg
Connors
Lendl

August 17th 1981

McEnroe
Borg
Lendl
Connors

1981 US Open

McEnroe
Borg
Lendl
Connors

1981 Masters

(Borg DNS). McEnroe was seeded across from Lendl, meaning that Lendl was 3 seed, but was still ranked ahead of Connors as of the 1981 Masters, and behind Borg. Lendl won the tournament and then was seeded as of January 11th as 2, passing Borg.

McEnroe
Borg
Lendl
Connors

January 11th 1982

Borg falls to 4th, behind Lendl. Connors moves up.

McEnroe
Lendl
Connors
Borg

1982 Monte Carlo

Lendl
Vilas
Clerc
Borg

1982 French Open

This is an interesting tournament. Number 1 ranked McEnroe didn't play here, Connors regained his 2 ranking over Lendl sometime before the French, and after the Master's tournament during the year. Since they didn't play each other in a tournament for the entire first part of the year, I'm not sure when they passed each other. They may have passed each other multiple times. We simply do not know. We know that by Monte Carlo Borg had already slid down the rankings, so any suggestions here? Who was 2 and who was 3 in the first half of 1982?

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

Last edited by JediFed : 02-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #54
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Today Federer has finally tied Lendl for most weeks in top-2 Of course, Lendl's total is subject to some uncertainty....still an amazing accomplishment by Fed Hopefully he can remain in top-2 long enough to remove any vestige of doubt about him having the record.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #55
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #56
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Some of Connors stats are not achievable. Roger would have to play beyond 2016 which I don't see happening.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #57
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Federer today begins his 500th week in the top-3 Now more than Lendl, he has only Connors ahead of him for this stat
Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #58
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Federer today begins his 500th week in the top-3 Now more than Lendl, he has only Connors ahead of him for this stat
Is that consecutive or not?
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #59
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
Is that consecutive or not?
Not consecutive, he was #4 for a few weeks in 2011. You can see the full stats in post #1, both consecutive and non-consecutive
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #60
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Not consecutive, he was #4 for a few weeks in 2011. You can see the full stats in post #1, both consecutive and non-consecutive
yes Murray took the number 3 a few weeks between Shanghai and the WTF 2011

Now Fed has the top-3 guaranteed for at least 508 weeks, until the end of Madrid.

According to my non-official estimations (but anyway there are no official estimations : the ones from Wikipedia are not official either and they derive from incomplete ATP stats), both Lendl and Connors should rather be around 530 weeks (Fed needs to stay in the top-3 until after Shanghai to reach that number).

As for the top-2, Murray now needs to win one of Indian Wells or Miami to have the number 2 after Miami (to take it after Indian Wells a final is enough if Fed doesn't reach the SF but Murray then has his points from Miami's last year final to "defend"), or to play two finals.

If Murray fails to take the number 2 after Indian Wells and Miami, Roger will have the top-2 guaranteed to 418 weeks until the end of Monte-Carlo (my non-official estimations put Lendl at around 420 weeks)