Indian Wells R2: [7] Del Potro d. Davydenko 6-3, 6-4 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indian Wells R2: [7] Del Potro d. Davydenko 6-3, 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
Some good comments. Do you think it is a confidence issue with him? His unwillingness to go for his shots on a more consistent basis I mean. Regardless, he certainly has a more developed and sophisticated game than he is given credit for. With regard to this tournament, I just hope the Argentine and the Scot can win through to the quarters so we can finally see them play again.
Confidence certainly plays a part; it's one of the downsides of getting constantly injured, it affects a player's confidence/doesn't allow him to build momentum. As of right now, he's dealing with on-going left wrist pain, which is why he's abusing the BH slice - might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, his BH slice has become really good. Ultimately, it all comes down to his health; unless he manages to stay fit for prolonged periods, it will be very hard to gather the confidence and momentum to really push for another big title. His game is definitely more sophisticated than a lot of people give him credit for: I'm pretty sure the people who think he just bashes every ball for a winner don't really watch him play. In the past year, due to physical impedements, he has even reached QF/SF in big events by slicing most BHs and even using drop shots to good effect. But of course that in order to challenge the top players in the game, all incredible movers, he needs much more than that - he needs to pull the trigger much more often, needs to be on top of his game fitness and confidence wise basically.

As for this tournament, I think we'll finally have Murray vs JMDP. Chardy ruined that the last two times and he lost to Phau today - that's a definitely a sign that it's destiny I expect JMDP to beat Phau and Almagro/Haas definitely (Haas is a great matchup, Almagro always chokes vs top players). Murray should take care of Lu easily and although Nishikori could challenge him, I'd expect Murray to win.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
very good match by GOATRO
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #18
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
what?I was serious
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
what?I was serious
End Da Game approves.

Good that you're learning.
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #20
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

couldnt watch the match (only live scores) but it seems chockerenko come up to scene, started both sets breaking (2-0; 3-0) and then easily broken by delpo.

Potro should reach QF now, and then probably loses to Mandy, his current level is really low.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

great win DelPo.
It's always a pleasure to see Davydenko roasted
64 Titles | 27 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 139 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 699 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
country flag nazzac

nazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond reputenazzac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Del Potro was never a particularly offensive player in the mould of a Tsonga or Berdych. He just hits the ball so ridiculously hard that he often appears to be attacking when he really isn't. His main strength has always been using his firepower in a way that makes his sluggish movement least likely to get exploited. He does need to find a better balance though, I'd agree there - one of the main differences from his current self to his 2009 self is that he rarely ever goes down the line in rallies these days, he used to turn tons of rallies around with a powerful down the line.
Basically this.

I think people expect Del Po to be agressive like Tsonga because he's got power. He's not though. Del Po plays high % tennis, but uses it in a more offensive way than defensive players if you follow me. I wouldn't say he's aggresive, and i wouldn't say he's defensive either. He tries to uses his power to force a ball he can attack and hit a winner from. He's not pushing, and he's not looking for winners with almost every shot, but he's trying to put his opponent on the defensive. Hence why Ferrer is a bad matchup for him because that power is redirected , and those balls he can attack don't come.

I agree that he should look DTL more often. He only seems to do that when he's confident and on his game.

Del Potro-Nishikori-Brands-Paire-Wawrinka-Sampras-Llodra-Safin-Falla
nazzac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote