How to generate my own power? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
country flag erik-the-red

erik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to beholderik-the-red is a splendid one to behold
Default How to generate my own power?

I played a match at practice today and I lost 6-7 (4).

My opponent wasn't moonballing my shots back (ie. topsin); he was slicing them all back, with backspin.

I tried my best to move him, even though initially I was just hitting them towards the middle. My heart played a factor in the match outcome, but I feel what cost me the match was the fact that I couldn't finish the points. I couldn't generate my own power.

I'm currently still working out about three times a week. Compared to last year, I definitely feel that my shots and serves are harder and faster.

But, what else can I add to my routine that can help me generate my own power? If my opponents actually give me pace, then I can take the shots on the rise and return them with most of their pace back and some of my own. That's what a counter-pouncher does. But, if I get no pace, then I can't create pace.
erik-the-red is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
country flag Domino

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to generate my own power?

For one, don't take the racquet back in a long loop, and then try to blast through the shot. The last few moments before the contact on a shot should be when you accellerate the racquet, with your whole stroke build momentum up. It also helps to remember to never break your wrist on impact of the ball. Also, step into the shot, crossing over the opposite foot as you hit, and swinging the parallel foot around as you finish the shot. That generates more body momentum.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
country flag El Legenda
Not a Registered User

El Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond reputeEl Legenda has a reputation beyond repute

Get on the juice
Old 03-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
country flag NATAS81

NATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond reputeNATAS81 has a reputation beyond repute

Study Joachim Johannson.

MAN what a wicked intense motion!

The ball goes.. zoom.... -->
NATAS81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #5
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

you have to time the ball, then add a bit of power yourself. Beleive me though- sometimes a well placed topspin winner is better than an aimless powerful winner.
Srichaphan- The Thai- ger of tennis.
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Kiefer- The naive guy, "yeh, me and seb are good friends"
Santoro- The double handed wizard of tennis.
Lopez- IS my hair right? IS my lipstick right?
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).
Tipsarevic- The tatoo of tennis, competing with moya.
Djokovic- Stole Jiri's surname

Sorry if I left out your favourite, just PM me to let me know-- thanks.
Rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #6
country flag Auscon

Auscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond reputeAuscon has a reputation beyond repute

cut your arm off and get someone to surgically attatch the arm of a gorilla

actually, you might want to get someone to cut your arm off too, it's probably awkward doing it yourself

If your interested, I can get a gorilla arm for you, but you will have to cover the cost for admission to the zoo
Auscon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
country flag David Kenzie

David Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kenzie has a reputation beyond repute

Also, don't assume you can blast every shot back. A well placed low slice is a very nasty shot to return and you may want to slice it back or moonball it.
David Kenzie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
country flag Rex

Rex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond reputeRex has a reputation beyond repute

lol auscon- that would probably do it
Safin - The of tennis.
Bagdatis- The quotesman of tennis "my coach will watch, i will sleep with my girlfriend"
Moya- The tatoo and muscles of tennis (although nadal kicks his ass in that department).

Old 03-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #9
country flag WestMeister

WestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond reputeWestMeister has a reputation beyond repute

What works for me is stepping into the shot and letting the momentum of the follow through swing (straight out then up) accelerate the ball with my semi-western grip. Instead of my normal forward brush up with a full western.

Another way is, strengthen your wrist and the muscles surrounding your forearm. My friend has probably the biggest forearm I've ever seen. His left one is half the size. He plays a lot of racquetball if that helps. When we play tennis, I'm amaze how he can just rifle his forehand shot after shot with just the flick of his wrist and not much else.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #10
country flag Rex

also bend your legs- thats where most of the power comes from if used properly.
Safin - The of tennis.