Is Federers return the weakest part of his game? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #31
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Federers return the weakest part of his game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
His lack of power is his weakness these days. Not his serve, return or any of his tennis skills. He's just a bit weak these days compared to the strongest players.

He had to slice just to stay in rallies many times vs Berdych. Not gonna work if the opponent doesn't gift UEs

The lack of power is most evident on his backhand side. His forehand can still pack a punch
I agree.

It's a consequence of getting older.
And with the current type of tennis that demand power and stamina, it's getting more and more difficult for him.

Had it been the 80s like in Connors era, Fed would have still contended strongly for any titles.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #32
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
I agree.

It's a consequence of getting older.
And with the current type of tennis that demand power and stamina, it's getting more and more difficult for him.

Had it been the 80s like in Connors era, Fed would have still contended strongly for any titles.
He still is contending for the big titles....
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #33
country flag TennisPhan1
Banned!

TennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Nose always had atrocious return, he relied on his all serve game to hold continuously until his opponent choked away a break.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
yeah fed without his serve wouldnt even be top 30 in his prime. u know u would get more respect if you said something that makes sense once in a while. u just sound like a silly troll when u keep repeating the same nonsense all the time. just like a 6 yr old kid.
TennisPhan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #34
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan1 View Post
yeah fed without his serve wouldnt even be top 30 in his prime. u know u would get more respect if you said something that makes sense once in a while. u just sound like a silly troll when u keep repeating the same nonsense all the time. just like a 6 yr old kid.
He is a silly troll....
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #35
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
He is a silly troll....

It is sad; he used to be an amusing troll.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #36
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

His block return off either wing is definitely one of the best ever. He has always been a solid returner off his forehand side. His backhand was always his questionable shot either returning or rallying. His chip backhand returns worked against pretty much everyone except Rafa and much of the animosity towards his return game started with that. Obviously since his peak years, his return games are much more erratic, just clearly not as sharp as when he was in his mid 20s only natural.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #37
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenfil View Post
I haven't seen Roger playing in 2004-2007, yet I don't that much has changed. His return NEVER gives him adventage in points, he almost always returns 2nd services with slice backhand. I find it to be one of the most important reasons why he has such an awful break point convertions. What do you think?
Bolded part is total bollocks. The slice return is an issue however and yes it's not the strongest part of his game. Still very good when on though.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 AM   #38
country flag Haelfix

Haelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond reputeHaelfix has a reputation beyond repute

Federer actually had one of the best first serve returns of all time. (One handed backhands often return first serves better than 2 handers).

The problem was he is and really always was, a bad 2nd serve returner. He slices them back, which is fine when you have a 24 year olds defensive abilities, but it doesn't put you in any sort of advantage.

If you look at the numbers, you'll see by far the biggest indicator of how often you win return games is in fact how well you return the 2nd serve (and how well you convert on break point) which are both areas that Federer has never really been good at.
Haelfix is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote