Dubai SF: Tomas Berdych def. Roger Federer 3-6 7-6 (8) 6-4 - Page 24 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #346
country flag chenx15

chenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond reputechenx15 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai SF: Tomas Berdych def. Roger Federer 3-6 7-6 (8) 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcess81 View Post
He's 31 years old, that's all the proof you should need. Name me one modern player who was as good at 31 as he was at 25-27. Agassi was good in his old age, but nowhere nearly as good as he was in his prime. 25-27 are prime years in tennis. After that comes the inevitable decline for ANY player. What Federer is doing at his age is nothing short of amazing. He regained no.1 spot for a while and won Wimbledon last year. At his age, that is a massive achievement. Granted, the difference between this Federer and 2006 Federer may not be huge, but in tennis losing half a step and/or a little bit of stamina is the difference between a grand slam champion and a runner up/semi-finalist.

I'm Nole fan, but in 4 years from now, when Nole starts losing frequently, are you going to make the same "prove it" argument? I am almost 100% certain that at 31 years of age, Nole will not be nearly as successful as Federer is right now.

For a while, I was of the same opinion, but then I re-watched some of Federer's matches from 2006/2007. There is no doubt in my mind that this version of Federer is (relatively speaking) a shadow of prime Federer. You may attribute that to the rise of competition, and partly that is true, but competition or no competition, it is clear that at his age, Federer is just that much slower and not as fit physically as he was back then, and that's all it takes.
as sad as it is, this is true. club level players have 4 seconds to reply to a shot, satellite have 3 seconds, qualies have 2, while the top 10 has 1. 25 seconds to react. imagine losing that .25 seconds to react is goint to be very costly at that level. and federer is no consistently being man handled by 3 players Djokovic, nadal, and Berdych. although Nadal is starting to lose his control on fed since Nadal's Backhand is starting to deteriorate
Fed ... don't F this up. You got the break. Just finish this. I got work tomorrow, I got kids... wife needs affection. Give me a break man.
chenx15 is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #347
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepita1964 View Post
I am sure that many young players at 25 or at 27 would like to play at the same level as Fed plays now.What Fed is doing at this stage of his career and this age is just incredible.For sure he has some physical problem but still whants to play and he does won so many titles GS,MS and has enough money.What does make him play really? He must love this game a lot

You already answered your own question.
It's the $$$ which makes him play, otherwise he would not have tried to double his appearance fee demand for his home tournament. It didn't work out but luckily he still has his big lifetime contract with Halle.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #348
country flag Yolita

Yolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond reputeYolita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcess81 View Post
He's 31 years old, that's all the proof you should need. Name me one modern player who was as good at 31 as he was at 25-27.
David Ferrer. He'll be 31 next month and he's as good now, if not actually better, than he was when he was 25-27.

In those years he was a solid top 20 player, with long stays in the top 10, but never ranked 4. He didn't win any titles in 2009, only 2 in 2008 and 3 in 2007. Yet he's won 9 titles in the last 14 months.

But nobody mentions David's age every time he loses a match.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #349
country flag Allez

Allez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond reputeAllez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Your post seems far too sensible for this website, albeit stating much common sense and rational thought.

In relation to your comments, except for Agassi, all the open era greats fit the description you state above:

Sampras (14 GS) - retired at 31 after 2002 US Open, but in the period from Wimbledon 2000 until that win had hardly won anything.
Borg (11 GS)- effectively retired at the end of 1981 when still 25.
Nadal (11 GS)- hard to see him win a GS post 30 given the stress his body has received.
Connors (8 GS) - although played 3 GS in 1992 age 40, but last GS title won at 31 at US Open 1982.
Lendl (8 GS) - although played 3 GS in 1994 aged 34, but last GS title won at 29 at AO 1990.
Not to mention players like McEnroe (7 GS), Wilander (7 GS), Becker (6 GS) and Edberg (6 GS)all declined pre 30 and none won a GS aged 30 or more.

Despite the overwhelming historic evidence, many still cannot understand why Federer loses much more often and wins fewer GS these days. Much of what you says explains it.
Great post. Seems as if Fed has followed Sampras' trajectory. Fed also hadn't won a slam in over 2 years before winning his final slam at Wimbledon. I do expect this to be Fed's last year on the tour. The signs are there. His "farewell" tour of South America (though it wasn't called that) plus the massive curtailing of his schedule (including no longer playing DC) all point to the end being much sooner than most people would like to speculate.

That said, even at his age...I expect Fed to be beating the likes of Julien Benneteau who is no spring chicken himself.

Anyone who thinks Fed is going to dominate the next few slams is either trolling ("Honestly") or is in denial of the gravity of Fed's decline (Blind tards).
Allez is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #350
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Great post. Seems as if Fed has followed Sampras' trajectory. Fed also hadn't won a slam in over 2 years before winning his final slam at Wimbledon. I do expect this to be Fed's last year on the tour. The signs are there. His "farewell" tour of South America (though it wasn't called that) plus the massive curtailing of his schedule (including no longer playing DC) all point to the end being much sooner than most people would like to speculate.

That said, even at his age...I expect Fed to be beating the likes of Julien Benneteau who is no spring chicken himself.

Anyone who thinks Fed is going to dominate the next few slams is either trolling ("Honestly") or is in denial of the gravity of Fed's decline (Blind tards).
He's not retiring this year, and I have no idea what puts that in your mind. He is very motivated, healthy, and says he wants to play until Rio 2016.

Fed's last two years and Pete's final two years are NOTHING alike. Pete dropped hard in the rankings and lost all interest and motivation. It is quite the opposite for Fed - Annacone said that he still has the energy of a 22 year-old.

It's also a load of shit that he plays for the money these days. He plays for the love - he has more money than every user has on this forum combined most likely.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #351
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if 31-year-old Connors won a slam, even Lendl and Agassi won one at the same age... there must not be so much difference then. After 30 is another story... fed fans just should be proud of their man and shut up.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nş1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #352

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nole fan View Post
Well, if 31-year-old Connors won a slam, even Lendl and Agassi won one at the same age... there must not be so much difference then. After 30 is another story... fed fans just should be proud of their man and shut up.
The game is way more physical than it was when Connors and Lendl played (and even Andre just 7-10 years ago).
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #353
country flag spaniel

spaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond reputespaniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sour man will qlso end one day. You probably want somebody to come that day and spit in your face.
spaniel is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #354
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
He's not retiring this year, and I have no idea what puts that in your mind. He is very motivated, healthy, and says he wants to play until Rio 2016.

Fed's last two years and Pete's final two years are NOTHING alike. Pete dropped hard in the rankings and lost all interest and motivation. It is quite the opposite for Fed - Annacone said that he still has the energy of a 22 year-old.

It's also a load of shit that he plays for the money these days. He plays for the love - he has more money than every user has on this forum combined most likely.
Don't believe a damn thing this Allez fella says. He is the biggest Fedhater on the board disguised as a Fedfan but really a massive dulltard. I don't know how he has managed to fool everyone for this long. He is constantly breaking Fed down and building dull up. There is nothing mysterious about it.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards
Proving the haters wrong...priceless

Last edited by Honestly : 03-04-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Honestly is online now View My Blog!  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #355
country flag TennisPhan1

TennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
Don't believe a damn thing this Allez fella says. He is the biggest Fedhater on the board disguised as a Fedfan but really a massive dulltard. I don't know how he has managed to foll everyone for this long. He is constantly breaking Fed down and building dull up. There is nothing mysterious about it.
he is a money hungry beep tho. he refused basel cause they didnt give him an extra mill. but hey i would do the same in his shoes lol. goat can do whatever he wants.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan1 View Post
he is a money hungry beep tho. he refused basel cause they didnt give him an extra mill. but hey i would do the same in his shoes lol. goat can do whatever he wants.
They weren't paying him what they should have for years if I recall that story. He was only asking for what he should have been getting in the first place. And he didn't "refuse" Basel - he played there last year and is playing there this year.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #357
country flag TennisPhan1

TennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond reputeTennisPhan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Johansen View Post
They weren't paying him what they should have for years if I recall that story. He was only asking for what he should have been getting in the first place. And he didn't "refuse" Basel - he played there last year and is playing there this year.
not according to his 2013 schedule
Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #358
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, i am gonna cry and moan and suffer every day of his decline till he retires
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #359
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan1 View Post
Yeah I think Kyle is right. If he was a 'money hungry beep' he would not have refused millions in appearance fees over the course of his career. If you want to bash a 'money hungry beep' look no further than dull who have ruined his knees and health for the sake of greed and money.

Next.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards
Proving the haters wrong...priceless
Honestly is online now View My Blog!  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #360

And Nadal's appearance fee in Halle was bloody ridiculous.

Basel isn't on his schedule now but I believe that will change by the time the tournament rolls around. If not, oh well. If he does skip it it means he will play Shanghai and Paris likely.
Closed Thread