Is the world getting better? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the world getting better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexybeast View Post
The US launched nuclear bombs when they were the only ones with the bomb, since then it has become impossible to use these bombs. What do you think Stalin, Hitler or the japanese empire would have done if they had the nuclear bomb? They would have wiped out their enemies, once city after the other. .
I get the feeling you are reading selectively. All this speculation about what other states would have done had they acquired the nukes before the US are just that, speculations. Fact is, they didn't and even after they acquired nukes (though as you said this might largely be due to nuclear deterrents) they did not use them. The US did, and then a few days later, they did it again.

Quote:
I mean US dropped nuclear bomb on an enemy who had dropped biological weapons on civillians all over China, killing 10 milion people in that war alone. Sovjet union killed many more than the US in their brutal invasion of Nazi Germany. Even England bombed the hell out of Dresden killing as many people as the atomic bombs in that attack but unlike Hiroshima and Nazaki this city was destroyed without any purpose.
you have a serious double standard mate, who are you to decide that certain bombings have a purpose and others don't? I'm sure if you were Russian you would be arguing the complete opposite of what you are arguing now..

Quote:
All I got to say is thank god the US got the bomb first, as I said the lesser evil among the powers of the world. Good guys, they are not and maybe it does not make it OK but you need to get over the idea that US is uniquely corrupt and evil compared to other superpowers that have been or will come.
ugh the uniqueness about the US is not it's corruption, it's the fact that everyone goes along with it. Other countries doing the exact same thing would have been condemned or worse invaded and rendered helpless, and rightly so I might add. And please stop trivialising deaths of people.

Quote:
One illegal war which was against Iraq, one partly legitimate war against Afghanisthan that was prolonged too long, way too long (should have wiped out Al Quaida and gone out of there immediately). US has the world's largest military and bases all over the world which means they have power to start wars overseas, doesnt mean they are nuts, someone who is nuts act completely illogical and I think even if the war in Iraq did not suit US interests it did suit the interests of individuals who planned the war, wether it be the war industry, the oil industry, israeli lobby or any other force that was decisive in pushing the buttons for US to invade the war. It suited their industry, Enron got oil contracts in IRaq, Israel got Saddam wiped out, military complex got bigger
About illegal wars, China has illegaly occupied Tibet for 60 years and killing hundreds of thousands of people there. Afganisthan will be left to be dominated by their talibans in 1-2 years when the US leaves but Tibet will forever be dominated by the han chinese, soon probably replaced aswell.
The behaviour of the US government (and yes of the UK before, and most likely the Romans and Egyptians before, ie every superpower) is that of a selfish state which is interested in having as much power as possible, regardless of the consequenses, either to others, or even their own people.

You rightly name Tibet, which is an atrocity. The list of similar atrocities by the US however is so much longer. Cuba, Haiti, Vietnam, Indonesia, Iraq, Afghanistan, just to name a few.

Quote:
World government controlled by super lobbyists, banks and the media moghuls, far away from any of the real problems they invent solutions for? World government who attack any rebells who want to break free from this empire? You gotta be kidding me, that is plain and simply tyranny. There is no popular backing to this even if they will want to shove it in our guts, there will be no way to control power when a few have so much power over distribution of money.

Yeah, break down cultures, languages, unique traits of different regions and create one hybrid people who listen to Idol, eat Mcdonalds and drink Cocacola, speak english and all listen to the same propaganda. How wonderful, this brave new world of yours. Such easy sheep to control, so much power at the hands of a few.

Why you think small countries like Switzerland who doesnt take part of big unions (Nato, EU) without natural resources are so rich and have never fought in wars? Why you think Iceland recovered so fast from their economic meltdown? Why you think only small countries like Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, New Zeeland, Norway and Denmar are at the top of low corruption rankings?

Dont give a few too much power or you are bound for catastrophy.
So many assumptions...what you describe sounds pretty much like the world today tbh. You are completely contradicting yourself in the last sentence, because that is exactly what happens to the US.

I said that we are not yet ready for this, but it is also an inevitability. Cultures and languages are already breaking down, globalization will lead to this.

"a place for vultures and mugs to express their opinions about other vultures and mugs"
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #32
country flag sexybeast

sexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond reputesexybeast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jverweij View Post
I get the feeling you are reading selectively. All this speculation about what other states would have done had they acquired the nukes before the US are just that, speculations. Fact is, they didn't and even after they acquired nukes (though as you said this might largely be due to nuclear deterrents) they did not use them. The US did, and then a few days later, they did it again.

Like said before, with all the atrocities of Nazi Germany, Stalin Sovjet and Japanese empire you cant seriously belive they would stay away from using the bomb. This is not speculation, these guys killed 50-100 million together in a short span of time.

Quote:
you have a serious double standard mate, who are you to decide that certain bombings have a purpose and others don't? I'm sure if you were Russian you would be arguing the complete opposite of what you are arguing now..
Dresden bombing was unnescessary and without purpose, in the US case there was an ultimatum they hoped would work. We have the bomb and will instead of invading Japan use it in city after city until the Japanese government surrender, that is reasonable even if cold and maybe unethical even against an unethical enemy. When brittain bombed Dresden it had no purpose at all, it was just revenge.

I am not american ,russian, german or anything else. Russians invaded Nazi germany with blood in their mouth to have revenge for the horrible crimes Nazi Germany had done in their own country. What they did to Germany was alot worse then what the US did to Japan, but not worse than what germans had done to Russia previously.

My strength in debating this issue is that I have no emotional attachment to any of these countries and feel no one is much worth defending. I chose to defend the US because I get tired of the two dimensional view anti-americans have of the world, they are ready to support almost any of America's enemies.

Quote:
ugh the uniqueness about the US is not it's corruption, it's the fact that everyone goes along with it. Other countries doing the exact same thing would have been condemned or worse invaded and rendered helpless, and rightly so I might add. And please stop trivialising deaths of people.
No, not great powers doing the same. See China in Tibet, Russia in Chechnya and so on. Also some smaller countries can do atrocities with support of any of these great powers. See Israel with support of US, Sudan with support of Russia/China, Syria's regime and so on. Big countries can do as they like, anyway only the US has the military strength to truly go around the world to start wars. For now.

Quote:
The behaviour of the US government (and yes of the UK before, and most likely the Romans and Egyptians before, ie every superpower) is that of a selfish state which is interested in having as much power as possible, regardless of the consequenses, either to others, or even their own people.

You rightly name Tibet, which is an atrocity. The list of similar atrocities by the US however is so much longer. Cuba, Haiti, Vietnam, Indonesia, Iraq, Afghanistan, just to name a few.
You mix some real illegitimate atrocities like Vietnam and Iraq, then legitimate wars like the one in Afghanistan and even East Timor independence in Indonesia which in my eyes was legitimate, the complete catastrophy which is Haiti is barely US problem and no atrocity has been done there and neither in Cuba, I do think the veto is wrong now that the cold war is over, but a veto is no atrocity. I hope you are not claiming the failed invasion of Cuba by Kennedy was an atrocity, it was just an atrocity of stupidity.

US has done some good things aswell, I think it was good they saved Korea from North Korea's communist regime even if it cost 2 milion people's lifes, ofcourse it is always easy to look back when we now have the results at hand. Overall the US was a force for good in the second world war together with Brittain. Thank god US existed to counter balance the Sovjet Union.

Quote:
So many assumptions...what you describe sounds pretty much like the world today tbh. You are completely contradicting yourself in the last sentence, because that is exactly what happens to the US.

I said that we are not yet ready for this, but it is also an inevitability. Cultures and languages are already breaking down, globalization will lead to this.
I am not pro-american, I am pro-america that existed in the late 19th century, were the civil society was free from government intervention to build their own futures as they like. I think Washington with less power and back to state-level solutions will bring US back to be something both you and I would be happy with, a non-militaristic US that is more difficult to be controlled by big interests.

Anyway, I can sometimes be worried by the vacuum such a more isolated US would leave in the world, there is always some meaner wolf to come and eat all the sheep when the big bear goes to sleep.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Tbh, USA set an example for that long time ago, they also don't care/ignore whatever they choose to, and nobody has power over them. Good/bad guys concept is also long gone
Sure thing. USA will go down from their previous position as superpower. I guess some people will be happy about that thinking China is a more kind ruler and a better "world police". Many people rooted for the Soviets and communism during the cold war too.

Truth is we don't know what would happen with another "winner". US, EU has done quite well the past decades. Things have been fairly stable for some time.

I think it's more potential for things to become more unpredictable and heat up, especially during the transition period when US budget cuts forces them to withdraw much of the international commitments (not just military ones) and China and India still have so much growing pains from fast economic growth and aren't ready to take up the badge as new "sheriff in town". EU will also be crippled by all the fail countries (Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc) and be forced to clean up their own house.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #34
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

I have a positive outlook towards the world, but when people steal YOUR bike, its hard to be so positive >:[.

Honestly though I'd say certain parts of the world are doing alright. I feel U.S will go up. While Middle East may simmer down, the less the U.S is involved. Europe will continue to be in a down ward spiral as well, until they can figure out their exports vs imports as well as maybe excommunicating Greece for a while , seriously though, someone with a phd in economics needs to run Greece.

I believe the Israel/Palestinian conflict will still see bloodshed and violence, till both sides can have two new liberal progressive leaders willing to put aside religious differences and actually TALK in a civilized setting. Camp David 2001 was SHIT, so one-sided and not well organized. Something of this matter needs to be done again to maybe achieve peace.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #35
country flag vucina

vucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond reputevucina has a reputation beyond repute

We already had periods like this in history: "Pax Romana", "La Belle Époque"... It's fake peace and prosperity and it will end soon. Sorry.
vucina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #36
country flag pray-for-palestine-and-israel

pray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond reputepray-for-palestine-and-israel has a reputation beyond repute

its almost impossible to find reasonable priced clothes not made in some asian sweat shop

almost everyone is so ignorant about it- some 4 year old chid working 18 hour days for 10p to make a pair of nike that sells for $100 and people pay it like the sheep that they are

-

im trying to eat free range food as much as possible- and trying to buy clothes made in england- im doing this so that all the money i make can go back into the british economy and that british businesses can make some money too- its way tougher than it needs to be

i honestly think if i have children they wont live to old age because america will cause a world war to keep its empire and stop china from rivaling them

theres not a damn thing i can do to stop it- i think the book of revelation in the bible is coming true
Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
].

Women have rights, no more slaves,
It is estimated that 20% of the population of Mauritania is enslaved. Slaves are often given as wedding gifts. But wait, it is because of the interpretation of Shariah law by the Muslim clerics that slavery flourishes..
Therefore it is a religious thing and we must respect that.
And more, a Mauritanian sheikh is Vice President of the UN Human Rights Council. So slavery must be a human right, right?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #38
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Sure thing. USA will go down from their previous position as superpower. I guess some people will be happy about that thinking China is a more kind ruler and a better "world police". Many people rooted for the Soviets and communism during the cold war too.
Is China even interested to police the world? However they are rich/powerful, I find that pretty hard to imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
It is estimated that 20% of the population of Mauritania is enslaved. Slaves are often given as wedding gifts. But wait, it is because of the interpretation of Shariah law by the Muslim clerics that slavery flourishes..
Therefore it is a religious thing and we must respect that.
And more, a Mauritanian sheikh is Vice President of the UN Human Rights Council. So slavery must be a human right, right?
What do you propose? After the recent revolution, some of the countries seem to be even bigger mess than before.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #39
country flag MaxPower

MaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond reputeMaxPower has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Is China even interested to police the world? However they are rich/powerful, I find that pretty hard to imagine.

It's not ancient China that long ago was the most powerful empire in the world but isolated themselves and got passed many times over by the West. This is a new deal. A new capitalist China in a global economy.

Just like US worked hard to secure oil and other raw materials and also build a "shield" to protect themselves (using economic and military allies against their rivals) so will China. They'd be fools not to. It secures their own future and their own homeland if everyone is dependant on them.
MaxPower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #40
country flag born_on_clay

born_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond reputeborn_on_clay has a reputation beyond repute

I think it isn't. The disproportions beetween the poor and the rich are getting bigger and bigger
64 Titles | 27 Masters 1000 |Olympic Games Singles Gold Medalist | 139 Weeks at no.1
3 year end no.1 | 4 Davis Cups | 699 singles match wins
born_on_clay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #41
country flag MTwEeZi

MTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond reputeMTwEeZi has a reputation beyond repute

no
MTwEeZi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #42
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

It's not getting better for me, but overall, I think Punky has got a point there. But it's a very sensitive and relative issue.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
country flag Chair Umpire

Chair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond reputeChair Umpire has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
It's not ancient China that long ago was the most powerful empire in the world but isolated themselves and got passed many times over by the West. This is a new deal. A new capitalist China in a global economy.

Just like US worked hard to secure oil and other raw materials and also build a "shield" to protect themselves (using economic and military allies against their rivals) so will China. They'd be fools not to. It secures their own future and their own homeland if everyone is dependant on them.
China is already positioning itself in Africa and Latin America.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...chinese_africa
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ources-concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Edberg must be spinning in his grave!
Quote:
Originally Posted by selyoink View Post
As usual Mjau! is right on the money. Her analysis is flawless. It is unfortunate not everyone is as brilliant as her.
Butthurtism in Tennis Thread (demonstration inside).
Chair Umpire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #44
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

The rights for women are slowly improving and equality overall is going in the right direction I think.

But is the world getting better? Hardly. I spoke to my grandfather a while ago. He said the biggest difference now and when he was young, is that back then they had hope. They had solidarity, they were going to build a better world post WW2, a safer world. They felt they had a purpose. But these days, young people think about nothing but themselves and their selfish ambitions. The egoism world wide is as big as ever if not growing. Also I see some in this thread think religion is a threat and treating people as slaves etc is of course messed up. But if you want to look at it that way, atheism gives people neither hope nor purpose either.

The human population is exploding but not the economy nor the environment can handle it. The world is slowly falling.
During Nadal vs Kyrgios:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
Rafa you are my hero I hope I will never live to see the day you start losing matches regularly to mugs like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed of Light View Post
If Rafa loses today, that's it. I'm done with tennis.

Last edited by Orka_n : 04-16-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Orka_n is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #45
country flag arm

arm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond reputearm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
The rights for women are slowly improving and equality overall is going in the right direction I think.

But is the world getting better? Hardly. I spoke to my grandfather a while ago. He said the biggest difference now and when he was young, is that back then they had hope. They had solidarity, they were going to build a better world post WW2, a safer world. They felt they had a purpose. But these days, young people think about nothing but themselves and their selfish ambitions. The egoism world wide is as big as ever if not growing. Also I see some in this thread think religion is a threat and treating people as slaves etc is of course messed up. But if you want to look at it that way, atheism gives people neither hope nor purpose either.

The human population is exploding but not the economy nor the environment can handle it. The world is slowly falling.
That sort of raises a different question: are people getting better, kinder, etc? And it's hard to say again, because in a way you can say that people are getting colder and more distant, also more and more egoist each day. But on the other hand, people are less racist, less homophobic, accept difference much better.
arm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote