Are players who are both GS champions in singles/doubles over? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Will there be GS champions in both singles and doubles in the future?

Yes 14 63.64%
No 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are players who are both GS champions in singles/doubles over?

Considering the future of tennis, do you think there will be players who are GS champions in both singles in doubles at any point of their career, let alone at the same time? Has the single's game become too taxing and too important compared to doubles for players to invest into doubles?

In the 80s we had McEnroe, who famously played doubles instead of practicing tennis, and in the 60s/70s we had Rosewall (who are both by far the most successful of the sinlges + doubles combo ever) as they both dominated in both singles and doubles at the same time. There were also several other players from the 70s and 80s who also had doubles success (Connors, Wilander, Edberg, Ashe, Gomez, Gerulaitis). In the 90s, Kafelnikov was the most successful combo player, however, aside from him only Stich and Rafter had GS titles in both singles and doubles. Ironically, the last player which is also the only player in the 2000s to win both GS in singles and doubles has been Hewitt. Even more ironic is that Rafa has been the closest out of all the 2000s decade generations as he reached the 2004 USO double SF.

We have had some players who have tasted good success in both singles and doubles, such as Melzer who has won GS double titles and had a strong singles career and Llodra could be considered having similar success as well.

Don't be disrespectful to the double's side of men's tennis.. This has nothing to do with whether you care about doubles or not.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
country flag Sham Kay
Lurrrkin'

Sham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond reputeSham Kay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are players who are both GS champions in singles/doubles over?

More likely to become a ATP/WTA fairness debate, than a throw dung on doubles party.

GS champs in both has been over for a helluva long time. Unlikely to happen again till most of us are picking up daisies. Last top 10 player in both formats was Melzer I believe.. though it helped that he doesn't get too far too regularly in GS's. A more realistic wondering (yeah let's use that word) would be whether there will ever be another player to qualify for WTF in both formats.
Sham Kay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Things have changed. I, personally, love doubles but nobody pays attention any more. You have to look for some lousy live streams to be able to watch doubles nowadays. It's almost impossible to see doubles on TV (at least here in Canada). The game have become so physical that top players don't even bother playing doubles. I have some great memories of JMac and Navratilova playing doubles but that was long time ago.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

The reason most singles players don't care about doubles is that tournaments don't hand out nearly as much prize money for doubles as they do for singles. There just isn't enough incentive involved, which is a shame because a good doubles match can be very entertaining.
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Since becoming a Fed Fan I have had 0 moderations
hipolymer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
country flag hipolymer

hipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond reputehipolymer has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I will say though, the concept of a doubles alley really pisses me off. I mean tennis is primarily one against one. Why should they make the court larger just to suit the needs of doubles?
Sorry Djokonauts, I am a fan of Federer now. I've learned over the years to appreciate his contribution to the game. No one will ever surpass this man's influence.
Federer ~ The consummate professional. Never retired once in a match. Does not go over the time limit on every point.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipolymer View Post
One thing I will say though, the concept of a doubles alley really pisses me off. I mean tennis is primarily one against one. Why should they make the court larger just to suit the needs of doubles?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
country flag hipolymer

Yes, I know they used those types of courts in the past. I'm more wondering why the concept of a doubles alley is needed in the first place. It discourages volleying which is sort of the point of doubles.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Kafelnikov will remain the last one to win both singles and doubles at the same event (RG 1996), but it wouldn't surprise me to see more players winning doubles either very early or very late in their careers and singles in the middle part.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

We will never see that again

1968 Roland Garros : Ken Rosewall
1969 Australian Open : Rod Laver
1970 Wimbledon : John Newcombe
1972 Australian Open : Ken Rosewall
1973 Australian Open : John Newcombe
1973 US Open : John Newcombe
1979 US Open : John McEnroe
1981 Wimbledon : John McEnroe
1981 US Open : John McEnroe
1983 Wimbledon : John McEnroe
1984 Wimbledon : John McEnroe
1987 Australian Open : Stefan Edberg
1996 Roland Garros : Yevgeny Kafelnikov
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
country flag FleetSeb

FleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond reputeFleetSeb has a reputation beyond repute

Not that ironic that Rafa has been the closest to winning a doubles slam of all the recent singles GS winners. He easily has the best doubles record of the big 4.

Gilles Simon - Juan Martin del Potro - Grigor Dimitrov

Pablo Andujar - Philipp Petzschner - David Ferrer - Mikhail Youzhny - Simone Bolelli

Julien Benneteau - Juan Monaco - Tommy Haas - Gianluigi Quinzi - Tommy Robredo - Guido Pella - Lleyton Hewitt
FleetSeb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
country flag TennisOnWood

TennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond reputeTennisOnWood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetSeb View Post
Not that ironic that Rafa has been the closest to winning a doubles slam of all the recent singles GS winners. He easily has the best doubles record of the big 4.
Yeap, 2 doubles ATP titles at the age of 17 and 1/2 of US Open at the age of 18
Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
country flag Mae
A ROSE IS FOREVER

Mae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond reputeMae has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I think about this I have to go over to the WTA for the Williams sisters!

Mae is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
country flag ProdigyEng
Banned!

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Does mixed doubles count? Because if Janowicz reaches full potential, and wins a Slam, I could easily see him winning a mixed doubles slam with Radwanska.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
I believe Kafelnikov will remain the last one to win both singles and doubles at the same event (RG 1996), but it wouldn't surprise me to see more players winning doubles either very early or very late in their careers and singles in the middle part.
Yep, no singles title contender will play doubles in slams. They have to win it before or after their peak. And I think long-time singles' top players are quite unlikely to concentrate on doubles at a lates stage of their career, they rather retire. They need to win doubles slam before singles success. But players who are singles top players only for a short period, are more likely to play more doubles later. They may be singles GS champs at 23 and doubles GS champs at their 30s.

But, singles is gotting more and more different from doubles all the time, e.g. the importance of net play is reducing in singles in favour of baseline playing. That means worse doubles players are winning singles slams, just look at Djokovic who's a doubles mug. That can make singles+doubles GS champs even rarer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Does mixed doubles count? Because if Janowicz reaches full potential, and wins a Slam, I could easily see him winning a mixed doubles slam with Radwanska.
If he's to become a long time singles GS contender, he should do it ASAP before he won't play (mixed) doubles in slams.

But to OP's question. I believe there will be singles+doubles GS champs in future. Not many but some. But not in the same tournament.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetSeb View Post
Yes, Djokovic has just one doubles title, Queens 2010, and Murray two, Valencia 2010 and Tokyo 2011
Federer is closest to Nadal, with equal amount of titles (8) but just one Masters and one OG to Nadal's three Masters, and QF as best in a slam (Wimby 2000).
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote