Indoor winter 2013 - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indoor winter 2013

What a horrible performance against Baghdatis. I am sure he will say he was tired and all, but he played like someone who was satisfied with last week's result and this match almost didn't matter. He tanked the very first game of the second set! He did not even attempt to play a one decent return game. He was mentally completely absent. So far this season it sure does look like he is only willing to fight in 250s event, but not the ones that actually matter. Whatever.
Vlad1980 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Not the best performance from Richard, getting broken at the start of each set. Baghdatis played well and was solid on the big points. TBF, Richard has played from last Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and got Monday off. He was back playing on Tuesday then yesterday and today's loss. He could have gone down like 6/2 in the 2nd but he saved those BP. Richard's last 4 sets against Marcos, 4/6 4/6 4/6 4/6! These days of rest will do Richard good and all the best for Marseille!! Allez!!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

[M.Safin] [T.Henman] [G.Rusedski] [A.Roddick]

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
ImmzB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
country flag ImmzB

ImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond reputeImmzB has a reputation beyond repute

Richard has the doubles later on, not wishing he looses but I think it would be better if he can get more days of rest ahead of Marseille!! So it wouldn't be bad if Richard and Julien go out today.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1980 View Post
What a horrible performance against Baghdatis. I am sure he will say he was tired and all, but he played like someone who was satisfied with last week's result and this match almost didn't matter. He tanked the very first game of the second set! He did not even attempt to play a one decent return game. He was mentally completely absent. So far this season it sure does look like he is only willing to fight in 250s event, but not the ones that actually matter. Whatever.
OMG! Success makes greedy. Do you expect him to win everything? He played a lot of tennis recently, he certainly was tired, he is human and not a machine. And is that hard to understand that Montpellier (and probably Marseille, too) mean more to him than Rotterdam? I partly watched a replay from yesterday when the stands were EMPTY.

Having said that, with two ATP 250 already won this year, he should carefully think about his future scheduling. A GS, Davis Cup and three tournaments in a row is simply too heavy.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Last edited by Puschkin : 02-14-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
country flag Vlad1980

Vlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond reputeVlad1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course he is a human, but I expect (since he also says in his interviews) that he would fight in every match. Since he is a top 10 player now, the expectations are much higher, especially in big events. If he was tired after winning last week, then he should get in a better shape. Maybe this is why he is so incapable of playing a second week of a Grand Slam? He should be able to even at 70% of physical strength to beat Marcos or at least play a competitive match. His second set effort was simply miserable. As a top 10 player, he needs to gain respect in the eyes of other players that he can last and he will fight, so if he wants to ever get to top 8, matches like today should never happen. Getting outplayed is a one thing, but to give up and tank your own serve game in the beginning of second set was just inexcusable.

Marcos made him look like a more inferior player overall. And Marcos is lower ranked. It was sad to watch and a waste of an hour +
Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't watch the match so I can't comment on how he played. I somehow expected a loss vs Marcos, but I'm still sad that he wasn't able to win. I wanted him to meet Del Potro in SF.
Marseille field is very good, so hopefully he will rest and he will be able to meet one of Berdych/Delpo/Tsonga there.

afterglows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
country flag afterglows

afterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond reputeafterglows has a reputation beyond repute

Marseille's draw is out.

Richie will play against Gilles Muller in R1.
If he gets through, he'll play Monfils again in R2.

Not easy.

Allez!!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #23
country flag ImmzB

Not a bad draw for Richard, Muller is a big server and likes to play Indoors but I'm sure Richard will come through. Tipsarevic possible in the QF, I want to see that match!!

I remember Richard's last year match against Del Potro, he played great attacking tennis even though he lost, he hit some great shots! Hopefully the crowd will help Richard this year, like they always do!!

Allez Reeshard!!

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
country flag ImmzB

A match he should have WON but he looses! 6/2 4/6 6/7 (5/7

Arrrgh, Richard!! He had numerous breaks points in the 2nd set when it was on serve and failed to convert and then gets broken in the next game when he was 30-0 up. Muller was serving for the 2nd set and Richard had BP, he passed him and the ball was clearly on the line but the linesman called it OUT and Richard had no challengers remaining. Richard thought he broke, but the umpire tried to get his attention but couldn't because of the crowd. Richard was clearly angry. Muller saved a couple more BP to take the 2nd set.

Richard got the break early in the 3rd and was serving for it at 5/3 and was 30-0 up and lost 4 straight points to get broken. He was 15-30 on the Muller serve at 6/5*. Richard was also *3/1 in the TB but still failed to close the match out.

Very disappointing result for Richard!!

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
country flag afterglows

I was following the score at the beginning of the match while I was at my job, I saw the early break, thought it would be a routine match. I then went to drink a beer with some coworkers. When I came back home, I connected myself to MTF and started searching for the thread about Richie's match and saw nothing. I then realised that the match was still going on... I just saw the TB on a stream.

Well, I just hope this will not have any negative influence on his confidence.

Rest well Richard.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
country flag ImmzB

He now has under 3 weeks until Indian Wells starts.... What about asking for a Wild Card into Dubai?

- A.Khan

Man-Utd Fan Forever!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #27
country flag Vlad1980

Obviously very disappointing result. But I have to say that after his no effort against Marcos last week, he deserved this one. Whenever you are top 10 player you must give it all every time. You can't just blame being tired just in hope you will do well next week. Today was very inconsistent, very fragile performance full of chokes. At least, however he did have intensity and did try to win it.

Richard is one of the very few players that actually seriously gets pissed off when his opponent starts playing very well. You can see in his body language, especially if that opponent "suppose" to just roll over. When Muller started to find his serve in second set, Richard panicked and even went on an incorrect challenge spree, ran out of challenges and he paid for it when his great forehand pass was good on a breakpoint against Muller's serve, while the linemen called it out. Richard clearly lost it there, although it was his fault 100%. Why did he waste all his challenges on serves that were clearly good? He simply could not believe that Miller could hit so many lines. After second set, I think it was clear that Richard could lose it mentally and collapse, which he did not, but still choked after being up a break in the third.

Moral of the story: Last week's disastrous tank job clearly affected his confidence. He was not the same player today on the court as he was all year long. This event was really important because it was a chance to show what he is made of by playing against really high caliber field. Forget that it was only 250 event. This field is better than most 500 events. If Richard did well this week, it not only would give him plenty of confidence going into US hardcourts, but also a lot of respect from fellow players, something that he clearly lacks as a top 10 player.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #28
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmzB View Post
He now has under 3 weeks until Indian Wells starts.... What about asking for a Wild Card into Dubai?
Please not. There is no need to chase after points right now. Much better to have a real break and getting ready for IW and Miami, there are really points to gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1980 View Post
This event was really important because it was a chance to show what he is made of by playing against really high caliber field. Forget that it was only 250 event. This field is better than most 500 events.
If you take away the short term perspective, there was not much to gain for him in this event. And the loss is far from catastrophic as his level of play was much better than you described it. It was an annoying defeat and Richard is pissed off enough: "the umpire was crap, I was crap, everyone was crap."

http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/350...tre-a-ete-nul/

to be motivated for the future.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
country flag scmom

scmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond reputescmom has a reputation beyond repute

I only saw the final score of yesterday - and heard from his presser how disappointed/ disgusted he was with the whole thing . So I am kind of glad I missed it - and hope he will just
put this one behind him
I agree with Puschkin - chasing points at this point of the season is not necessary . He can make some big gains if he plays well in IW ( lost very early there last year ) so I would rather he
come to that event well rested and eager to play .
Also , selfishly as I am there for the whole first week , I hope to get to see him play frequently
He has had an impressive start to the year - let's not panic just yet .
Good luck , Richard . Get some rest - be prepared and see you in the desert !
scmom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #30
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmom View Post
Also , selfishly as I am there for the whole first week , I hope to get to see him play frequently
Just to let you know, Richard also plays doubles in IW with Julien.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~