Have a question about two-handed backhand? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
country flag piotrkol1

piotrkol1 is on a distinguished road
Default Have a question about two-handed backhand?

Hi, I'm right handed and play with a two-handed backhand. Which arm is supposed to supply most of the power with this shot, my right arm or left? So far I've been using my right arm mostly, and I've kinda noticed that I don't always get as much pace on my shots, but whenever I try using my left arm I always mess up the shot and can't get it to work. Also,does anyone know what kind of grip Andy Roddick used on his two-handed backhand? I've been using a continental grip on my bottom hand and semi-western on top.
piotrkol1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
country flag itsmeagain

itsmeagain is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Have a question about two-handed backhand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrkol1 View Post
Hi, I'm right handed and play with a two-handed backhand. Which arm is supposed to supply most of the power with this shot, my right arm or left? So far I've been using my right arm mostly, and I've kinda noticed that I don't always get as much pace on my shots, but whenever I try using my left arm I always mess up the shot and can't get it to work. Also,does anyone know what kind of grip Andy Roddick used on his two-handed backhand? I've been using a continental grip on my bottom hand and semi-western on top.
Left

Has anyone tried a two handed forehand?
itsmeagain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
country flag VamosRafaNadal

VamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond reputeVamosRafaNadal has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm concerned it should be the left arm. Try to practice more with the two-handed backhand with the left arm as the dominant one, maybe care more about the weight transmission between the left and right leg in order to gain a little bit of more pace (if you didn't do it before, of course). There are some videos on Youtube done by coachews that are interesting, just type in Youtube "two-handed backhand" adding maybe the words "grip" or "wrist" if you don't find a properly video.

Regards.
FITD: #12 (Best: #9) | Runner-up: Cincinnati 2013
PAW: #11 (Best: #11) | Titles: Indian Wells 2013
Suicide Tennis: #3 (Best: #1) | Titles: Cincinnati 2013
Tennis Tipping - Singles: #10 (Best: #10) | Titles: ATP Houston 2014 | Final: US OPEN 2013, Arad CH 2013, Tampere CH 2013, Poitiers Fut 2014
Tennis Tipping - Doubles: #67 (Best: #67) Titles: ATP Nice 2014 (w/gak3) | Final: Dallas CH 2014 (w/orangehat), Binghamton CH 2013 (w/randy72391)
Rafael Nadal: The King of Clay. The Warrior. The Mental Giant.
Richard Gasquet: The most beautiful and talented backhand of the tour (after De Schepper).

De Schepper - Thiem - Giraldo - Cilic - Youzhny - Nishikori - Gulbis - Haas - Berlocq - Jaziri - Berankis - Fucsovics - McGee
VamosRafaNadal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrkol1 View Post
Sorry this is late, but...

The general consensus is that the left arm should do more of the work. You should feel the ball more with your left arm, and use the right to help you stabilize the shot and guide the ball - it's there to assist.

There are some deviant accounts though, most famously from Andre Agassi, who advocates using the right arm. These are very few and far in between.

I'm not sure why you're interested in Roddick's backhand, as he's not exactly known for the shot (though his is better than people credit him for, and his issues are not grip-related, per se), but I'm pretty sure he uses right-hand continental.

The typical grip combinations are either top-hand Eastern / bottom-hand Continental, or a double Eastern ("two-fisted backhand").
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
country flag lizzard11120

lizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond reputelizzard11120 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the right arm.

I normally play a 1 handed backhand now however was taught a 2 hander when I was a youngster and still use it on the odd occasion when I prefer more control.

If you are worried about power, try to get more movement forward into the shot as it may help in that regard.
2013 W/L - Singles 14/8 Doubles 11/8
2013 Titles -
lizzard11120 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
country flag Super Djoker

Super Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Djoker has a reputation beyond repute

You could allways try getting the same amount of power from both. In general I think most people would say the power comes from your non playing arm . If your going for lots of topspin , you need both pretty much equally . From how a coach taught me , you need to focus on turning your body as you hit it.
Super Djoker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Djoker View Post
You could allways try getting the same amount of power from both. In general I think most people would say the power comes from your non playing arm . If your going for lots of topspin , you need both pretty much equally . From how a coach taught me , you need to focus on turning your body as you hit it.
^^^^ Stepping into your stroke and rotating your body.

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

* Slams Do Not Exist!

Lenders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Both arms play a large role in hitting a 2 hander, however, your body wind up and uncoiling along with the weight transfer is what will provide the most power.

The left hand is especially crucial when muscling balls especially defensively and high balls. The right hand does arguably have the least importance, as it is essentially the anchor for the shot anyways, but much of your racket head speed still relies from the right hand.

Either way, kind of a rough question to ask as some grips definitely change how you hit the ball dramatically. I know some 2 hand backhand players, who barely put their off-hand into use except as a guide while there are definitely others who muscle that ball all day with their off hand. The way I see it with other similar scenarios, whatever feels most right and proves successful just do it, I wouldn't worry too much about these details.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in terms of the actual swing and generating power is making sure the arms are relaxed. One of the biggest mistakes people make on the two-hander is a tendency to firm up on the shot a bit like you might on any one-handed swing. Many people do this either when trying to force the ball over or in feeling constrained by using both hands.

But you have two arms to handle any incoming ball, and you've got that plus your core and legs (as everyone has mentioned) to generate power. It's important to be as relaxed as possible with the arms in order to optimize your potential for swing speed.

It's a basic thing that a lot of people fail to do. You see a lot of stiff two-handers, people choking up on the handle or trying to force the shot, and they just don't get much out of it.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.
BackhandDTL is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
country flag cmarshall7

cmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond reputecmarshall7 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it should always be your non-dominant hand. Tie that in with as described above a relaxed shot, let natural acceleration and deceleration occur on your swing, or you won't get the racquet head speed needed to get bite on the ball. Also two-handers often cramp themselves without giving themselves enough room to hit the stroke out to the side. Keep that in mind, and you should be able to produce more power.
cmarshall7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote