Poll: What was the best Wimbledon final of the naughtys? - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which was the best Wimbledon final off 2000-2009?

Sampras-Rafter 2000 3 1.82%
Ivansivic-Rafter 2001 44 26.67%
Hewitt-Nalbandian 2002 4 2.42%
Federer-Philapoosis 2003 2 1.21%
Federer-Roddick 2004 2 1.21%
Federer-Roddick 2005 3 1.82%
Federer-Nadal 2006 0 0%
Federer-Nadal 2007 13 7.88%
Federer-Nadal 2008 65 39.39%
Federer-Roddick 2009 29 17.58%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #46
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: What was the best Wimbledon final of the naughtys?

2011 was really baaaaaaaad

I still can't believe that Rafa played so bad in a slam final. Really, Rafa "the great", who always plays great in these big matches?! He was better in 2006!!

I can understand his lost in the USO and in the AO where he played at a good level, but, this final was embarrassing
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #47
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Full match? Awesome thanks man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqdpjin3vfM
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #48
country flag samanosuke

samanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond reputesamanosuke has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiznot View Post
The 2001 Rafter-Ivanisevic Wimbledon final was the most exciting tennis match I've ever seen and I've been tuned to tennis since the 1960's. I pity any tennis fan who missed that match. The final was played on a Monday due to rain. The usual staid Wimbledon audience was replaced by ordinary rabid tennis fans who went crazy after every point and created an atmosphere like no other. The quality of play was extraordinary and the tension was incredible.

The 2008 Wimbledon match was also great but the rain delays were a bummer. Federer was a bundle of nerves for the first two sets and played like crap. The end of the final set was played in almost total darkness which was unfair to both players.

The 2008 final was more recent. Many MTF members were children in 2001 and probably didn't see the greatest match.

Thank you Goran and Patrick for the best match ever.

That Wimbledon was the best tournament ever
samanosuke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #49
country flag Certinfy

Certinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond reputeCertinfy has a reputation beyond repute

Last year's Wimbledon doubles final was the greatest Wimbledon final ever.
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
if he loses this I will support Murray
Certinfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #50
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

2001. Made a great impression on pre-teen me. Not just great drama, but great grass tennis too. And the guy I was rooting for won to boot, though both would have been deserved winners.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #51
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
2001 for me. What Ivanisevic managed to do was out of this world (ranked 125, got a WC to enter the MD ... def. Moya, Roddick, Safin, Henman) . I watched that match so many times. so much drama. If Goran hadn't been such a nutcase he could've had at least 2/3 more W titles in his pocket. I felt bad for Rafter after all but Goran finally made it.
I've simply nothing to add to this.
retister is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #52
country flag GSMnadal

GSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond reputeGSMnadal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounccer View Post
2011 was really baaaaaaaad

I still can't believe that Rafa played so bad in a slam final. Really, Rafa "the great", who always plays great in these big matches?! He was better in 2006!!

I can understand his lost in the USO and in the AO where he played at a good level, but, this final was embarrassing
Couldn't agree more. That was the match where it was most clear Novak was in his head. Before that match he actually played great in the tournament and Nole, not so much.

'Rafael Nadal is the best ever' - John McEnroe

1 AO - 8 RG - 2 W - 2 USO
GSMnadal is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #53
Timariot

Timariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond reputeTimariot has a reputation beyond repute

2001 easily. Only reason why it probably doesn't top the poll is that many MTF posters weren't born by then yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #54
country flag IOFH

IOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond reputeIOFH has a reputation beyond repute

2004 was the highest quality one. 2005 was the most entertaining one.

17 6 21 77
IOFH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #55
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
2001 easily. Only reason why it probably doesn't top the poll is that many MTF posters weren't born by then yet.
Or maybe because it was on a Monday and we had to go to work and couldn't see it . Or was that the one where my TV broke down the night before and I couldn't manually programme the video? I really wanted Rafter to win that one, too (Ivanisevic beating Henman in that horrible semi might have had something to do with it, too). What I saw of it later was a very good match, certainly.

Definitely not 2009: I watched that one on DVD the other day and decided life was too short to repeat the experience

Think I'm probably tempted to say 2007, bearing in mind that 2009 is the only one I've watched more than once (yet. Two others are still on my LOVEFILM rental list). I have reservations about voting for a match where the result may have partly depended on which player had more carrots in his diet
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #56
country flag Coolio_Jack

Coolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond reputeCoolio_Jack has a reputation beyond repute

Really, its embarrasing to vote for anything other than 2001, the quality of that match is not even that important, the point is that its safe to say that a match with that kind of atmosphere, and a movie like story behind it, will most likely never be repeated again.
Coolio_Jack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #57
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio_Jack View Post
Really, its embarrasing to vote for anything other than 2001, the quality of that match is not even that important, the point is that its safe to say that a match with that kind of atmosphere, and a movie like story behind it, will most likely never be repeated again.
The 2001 Wibledon final was rated sixteenth at the list of 100 Greatest Sporting Moments by a British TV station if I remember correctly (It wasn't BBC, channel 4 I think).
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #58
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

2001. No other year even comes close, including the 2008 "epic".

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #59
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Fedal tards ruined the poll, yet I've seen none of them actually come in here and defend their reasoning behind voting that final.... I think we all know Wimbledon 2001 was the best final of the naughties.

GOOD LUCK IN UNRETIREMENT JOHNNY GROOVE
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #60
country flag Alex999

Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
Fedal tards ruined the poll, yet I've seen none of them actually come in here and defend their reasoning behind voting that final.... I think we all know Wimbledon 2001 was the best final of the naughties.
yeah Prodigy, spot on ... that's how I feel too. The 2008 final was epic (and expected btw), but not as good as 2001 in terms of pure entertainment, excitement, quality of play ... there was so much 'magic' in that match . If some of you younger guys haven't seen it, you must... Go to you tube, you'll be able to find the complete match.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote