Poll: What was the best Wimbledon final of the naughtys? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Which was the best Wimbledon final off 2000-2009?

Sampras-Rafter 2000 3 1.64%
Ivansivic-Rafter 2001 50 27.32%
Hewitt-Nalbandian 2002 4 2.19%
Federer-Philapoosis 2003 2 1.09%
Federer-Roddick 2004 2 1.09%
Federer-Roddick 2005 3 1.64%
Federer-Nadal 2006 0 0%
Federer-Nadal 2007 14 7.65%
Federer-Nadal 2008 69 37.70%
Federer-Roddick 2009 36 19.67%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #31
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll: What was the best Wimbledon final of the naughtys?

2009 has more votes then I would have guessed, way too much of a heartache if you ask me, only one of the 2000's Wimbledon finals were possibly the wrong player won (as far as who played the best match)

if you're nostalgic you'll vote 2001 obviously but we've got to think quality wise it was either 2008 Fed/Nadal or one of Federer's sublime thrashing's of Roddick in what 2004/2005

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #32
country flag BackhandDTL

BackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond reputeBackhandDTL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
2009. Was a fun match.

That backhand volley of Randy Odd Dick must still be a painful memory
You know, people look at that backhand volley as the one major mistake he made, but I think his first set point up 6-2 may have been just a bad. Fed blocked his first serve back with a pretty lofty slice that fell inside the court. Rather than playing an aggressive forehand, like the younger Andy would have done, he answered it with a short slice that invited Fed's initiative with his own FH.

It's not as obvious, and therefore not as memorable as the blunderous volley, but it was just as grave.
Originally Posted by @Sweet Cleopatra View Post
Million times.. Your problem
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for attention, I can tell you I don't like you but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop posting that photo now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will terminate your MTF account.

Last edited by BackhandDTL : 02-14-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Gramma'
BackhandDTL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #33
country flag Slade
Anti-Dull Alliance

Slade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackhandDTL View Post
You know, people look at that backhand volley as the one major mistake he made, but I think his first set point up 6-2 may have been just a bad. Fed blocked his first serve back with a pretty lofty slice that fell inside the court. Rather than playing an aggressive forehand, like the younger Andy would have done, he answered it with a short slice that invited Fed's initiative with his own FH.

It's not as obvious, and therefore not as memorable as the blunderous volley, but it was just as grave.
Definitely the point was passive from Randy. The blunderous volley is just so iconic because it's an epic fail by pure definition. An obvious put-away shot. Not just allowing Federer into the rally but to declare to the world his mugginess
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

The 2001 Rafter-Ivanisevic Wimbledon final was the most exciting tennis match I've ever seen and I've been tuned to tennis since the 1960's. I pity any tennis fan who missed that match. The final was played on a Monday due to rain. The usual staid Wimbledon audience was replaced by ordinary rabid tennis fans who went crazy after every point and created an atmosphere like no other. The quality of play was extraordinary and the tension was incredible.

The 2008 Wimbledon match was also great but the rain delays were a bummer. Federer was a bundle of nerves for the first two sets and played like crap. The end of the final set was played in almost total darkness which was unfair to both players.

The 2008 final was more recent. Many MTF members were children in 2001 and probably didn't see the greatest match.

Thank you Goran and Patrick for the best match ever.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #35
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

'01 and '09 and then '08. In that order.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #36
country flag Federer in 2

Federer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond reputeFederer in 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ivanisevic - Rafter.

ROGER FEDERER

'Roger Federer is the best ever' - Everyone else other than John McEnroe

4 AO - 1 RG - 7 W - 5 USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Nadal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadalfan2013 View Post
Standing ovation for Federer. Disgusting.
#NoBiasTho
Federer in 2 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #37
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond reputeTigerTim has a reputation beyond repute

1. 01
2. 07
3. 09
4. 08/04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
As for Mugray, what can be said? A disgusting human being, and awful player, and a choking pushing mug. He looks like a kemo patient, bald spots, hairless legs, pasty blotchy skin, busted teeth, and an ugly, snarling face. Typical antics all came out in this match: faking injuries, grimacing and cursing, trying to peg Fed, trying to start drama, undeserved final based on an exhausted old man and a joke draw.

I'm no Fakervic fan but he needs to save tennis, sadly tree trunk legs will be fresh. Interesting he's never questioned...
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #38
country flag Roy Emerson

Roy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Emerson has a reputation beyond repute

There were many great Wimbledon finals in the naughties. Ivanisevic-Rafter 2001, Federer-Nadal 2007, Federer-Nadal 2008
and Federer-Roddick 2009. All great and exciting finals.

The last 3 Wimbledon finals, 2010, 2011 and 2012 were dull. Boring 3 or 4 setters that lacked the thrill of those mentioned above with one of the finalists basically MIA.
Roy Emerson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #39
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Emerson View Post
There were many great Wimbledon finals in the naughties. Ivanisevic-Rafter 2001, Federer-Nadal 2007, Federer-Nadal 2008
and Federer-Roddick 2009. All great and exciting finals.

The last 3 Wimbledon finals, 2010, 2011 and 2012 were dull. Boring 3 or 4 setters that lacked the thrill of those mentioned above with one of the finalists basically MIA.
2011 was terrible. Not only should Rafole never be a Wimbledon final match up but Nadal was so poor it was probably the worst slam final I've ever watched, besides AO 2011.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #40
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

2001 final was great from what I remember. It was the first slam final I ever watched so memory of it is vague. I need to try and find video of it somewhere

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #41
country flag Abel

Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
2001 final was great from what I remember. It was the first slam final I ever watched so memory of it is vague. I need to try and find video of it somewhere
It's on YouTube.
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #42
country flag bounccer

bounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond reputebounccer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkulari View Post
woman

and thank you, I really believe that was the day they both played their best tennis against each other and yes, Roger choked it away

the Wimbledon 08 final was hugely overrated in terms of quality, Rafa should have won in straights and the whole drama was more about the rain delays than the actual play

Was it good? yes, but I think they both played much better in 2007
Yeah, quality wise, both were better in 2007. Nadal was better than Federer in 2007 but he lost those tie break and he had some break points early in the fifth.

Personnaly, i choose this 2001 final. Epic drama.
bounccer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #43
country flag ProdigyEng

ProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond reputeProdigyEng has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
It's on YouTube.
Full match? Awesome thanks man.

But any problem cannot be found?

argument.
ProdigyEng is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #44
country flag Orbis

Orbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond reputeOrbis has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon 08, but 01 will always hold a special place in my heart. Seemed like every Croat I knew was watching talking about the match
Orbis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #45
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

In the 2001 final there was no bad guy. The crowd seemed to be pulling for the sport of tennis and supporting the players equally. I was for Goran because the guy is a riot and he'd never won a slam but I also loved Rafter. I've a copy of that match but I haven't gone back and watched the whole thing.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote