Your ideal Olympic Games - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What sports should be at the Olympics?

Squash 8 50.00%
Cricket 5 31.25%
Futsal/Beach football 9 56.25%
American Pro sports (baseball, football etc) 3 18.75%
more combat sports (kung-fu, jiu-jitsu etc) 2 12.50%
some extreme sports (downhill bike, air sports etc) 5 31.25%
motorsport 2 12.50%
other sports (no rugby&golf as they're in since Rio) 4 25.00%
everything is all right now 0 0%
kick out some sports 8 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
country flag Trollin Stone

Trollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your ideal Olympic Games

Poll added. Note that rugby and golf are in already.

Maybe bull riding would be fun. Fishing is an option too
Trollin Stone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #17
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Why is that? Not referring to the golf part (I agree), but why does squash epitomise the Olympic spirit more than tennis?

I'd get rid of beach volleyball for sure. It's a joke that beach volleyball is an Olympic event but not squash. I don't understand why squash isn't included but the other racquet sports are; it's every bit as watchable as badminton and table tennis, and arguably more watchable than tennis because it's much faster.

I'm also not a fan of the team events in table tennis - this sport takes up too much of my TV time.

Basketball is pretty weak as well. If the Olympics are supposed to be one of the most important events in sport, then I expect the quality of the matches to be top-notch. Watching the first quarter of Spain vs Russia last night, a semi-final match, made me wonder why I wasted my time watching that shit when the NBA championship is held every year and the quality of the matches is so much better.
It just my opinion that there is so much money in golf and tennis, that the players don't really appreciate the Olympics as much as other events. Professional golfers and tennis players don't see the Olympics being that important. No one really cares that Kafelnikov or Massu won Olympic golds for example.

Also I really don't see Tiger Woods would really care, especially for a man who demands $2 million appearance fees for turning up to events other than majors.

Squash has been included in the Commonwealth Games and World Games, winning the gold medal in those are considered great achievements since the top players participates in them. An Olympic inclusion would only be beneficial to a great sport in the long term.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion is that exclude sports like tennis and golf for which Olympic Gold will never be the biggest achievement. Instead, adopt new, rapidly-growing sports, like beach volley has been, for which Olympics would be the most important competition.

And, I think that something should be done with the size of the OG, or with the host city idea. I'm afraid the number of potential OG host countries is decreasing all the time, so that one day only some dictatures willing to promote their country can host Olympics. Downscaling OG might enable more contries to host the games, as they wouldn't have to make so many arenas which will have no use after OG. Another option would be permanent host city. In that case those arenas would have some use at least every fourth year.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #19

Trollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond reputeTrollin Stone has a reputation beyond repute

And what about the Winter Games? I cant think of many sports which can come in. Maybe snowmobile racing or sled-dog race and speed skiing.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollin Stone View Post
And what about the Winter Games? I cant think of many sports which can come in. Maybe snowmobile racing or sled-dog race and speed skiing.
Snowball fighting.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #21

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
country flag BodyServe

BodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond reputeBodyServe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjau! View Post
Remove Greek-Roman wrestling. A ridiculous sport in which NOTHING happens until one wrestler gets called down on all four (which seems to be an advantage so it's kind of a lottery if it goes to a 3rd period). They just stand around and lean on each other when on their feet. Such a bore!

Leg-grab wrestling is stupid too, but only because of the rules. You can win one round and draw the other and have the match called a tie and go to extra-time, even though you out-scored your opponent! If you challenge a call and it's rejected, your opponent is awarded an additional point.
Greek-Roman wrestling breathe the spirit of Olympism.

BodyServe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #23
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

I think squash should be there but it isnt because its just not popular

Sports that should not be there are football,tennis and golf but they are only there because the IOA wants to make more money despite the fact that these dont follow the olympic spirit at all
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
country flag Chirag
Federer fan forever

Chirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond reputeChirag has a reputation beyond repute

greek roman wrestling is fun
Chirag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
country flag Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond reputeKeyser Soze has a reputation beyond repute

I think some sports need some adjustments to be more entertaining.

Waterpolo - the pool to be 10 times bigger and from time to time a crane should throw a Volkswagen Beetle in it.

3000m steeplechase - there should also be psychological obstacles, like dissapointed parents, the first girlfriend who dumped you, a grandma who shows naked pictures of you as a kid, etc.

Equestrian - too gay. Should be replaced with rodeo.

Archery - dwarfs should carry the targets on their back, running around like hell.

Gymnastics - the athletes are too good. It would more fun to see fat people do it, let's say over 150 kg, to see the pommel horse or the uneven bars cracking under their weight.

400m hurdles - the hurdles should randomly appear and dissapear from the ground, while the stadium amplifiers play the Mario tune.
Copil || Wawrinka || Ungur || Horia Tecău || Crivoi || Gulbis || Ciorcilă || Dolgopolov || Berankis || Hănescu || Fognini || Carreno-Busta || Dustin Brown || Olivetti || Andreozzi || Clezar || Gojowczyk || Kovalik || Duckworth || Tommy Haas || Arnaboldi || Ager || Sam Groth || Dodig || Semrajc || Vesely || Dan Evans || Gombos || Bozoljac || Trevisan || Couacaud || Blaz Rola || Rosol

DISLIKE LIST: Nadal || Tomic || J.Sousa || Ferrer || Riba || Jimmy Wang || Brands || Granollers || Berdych || Cilic || Stakhovsky || Laaksonen || Veic || Bagnis || Stepanek || Janowicz || Lopez-Perez || Marchenko || Olivo || Fucsovics || Ignatik
Keyser Soze is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

Keyser Soze. Genius post

On a serious note,
Downhill bike is really needed.
Squash Why not
Futsal to replace football

And I would also like to see some fairness between sports. Some have too much events ( sailing for instance)
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #27
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
And in my opinion there are more sports that need out than in. IOC was right to scrap baseball and softball. I'm OK for rugby though. Cricket, why not but lacks universality. Squash, why not.

o Swimming (34) : Freestyle: 50, 100, 200, [same contenders as 50m] 400, 800 (women), and 1,500 (men); all relays [favours greater nations]. OK for the other events.
What??

50m, 100m and 200m freestyle have the same contenders? You think? Let's have a look at the men's winners in the last three olympics:

Athens 2004

50m Hall Jr.
100m Van den Hoogenband
200m Thorpe

Beijing 2008

50m Cielo
100m Bernard
200m Phelps

London 2012

50m Manaudou
100m Adrian
200m Agnel

This year there wasn't even a single swimmer who won a medal in more than one race.

And why would you want to get rid of the endurance races?
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...mpics-18473870

There's still a small chance it remains in OG.

But dropping wrestling would really suck. I think it's an Olympic sport at its purest. Instead we have nowadays sports like tennis, golf, and road cycling in OG that don't dive a shit about OG. But IOC thinks only about mon€y.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Wrestling dropped from the 2020 Olympics.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...mpics-18473870

There's still a small chance it remains in OG.

But dropping wrestling would really suck. I think it's an Olympic sport at its purest. Instead we have nowadays sports like tennis, golf, and road cycling in OG that don't dive a shit about OG. But IOC thinks only about mon€y.
Unbelievable. Golf

and what you say about money is true, sadly wrestling generates probably 1% of the money that golf can for example. hell, even less. Huge disappointment, was fearing it and seeing it coming but somehow never thought it would materialize. I'm thinking the aspect of the facilities also have something to do with this, there's only limited time to use them during the 2 weeks between so many disciplines along with wrestling: fencing, boxing (when it doesn't get it's own area), judo, gymnastics, taekwondo, and even handball and probably some more that i don't remember right now, all using the same arena. Just imagine how painful it must be to do the scheduling and coordination for those events using the same space, plus always taking into account that combat disciplines have so many weight classes and use up a huge amount of time... it's a very sad reality to take into account, not just money.

I wish something could be done to stop it, but it's mission impossible. one of the originals from the ancient OGs being gone. what a travesty.
Vinceremo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #30
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Rugy, that will be in Rio and more extreme sports.
BauerAlmeida is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote