Who's Going? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
country flag Rainalkar

Rainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's Going?

I may be in Paris sometime during the French Open 2013, and I would like to use the opportunity (I watched a live tennis event including top players just once in my life, and I was a kid, and it was an exhibition). Could you advise me how to do it without having to spend a small fortune? What I managed to glimpse is that the round 1 tickets sell for >200 € for Chatrier, and that is hell of lot. In general, I want to see Federer and Nadal at least from a good court position, but I wouldn't mind spending the entire day or two watching tennis.

Please do not begrudge me if I missed the topic, I couldn't figure put the proper place to ask.
Rainalkar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tickets for Roland Garros

Well, apparently, it's cheaper than this. It's between 77 and 150 euros for a Cat. 1 ticket. Still expensive I believe but not 200 euros.

I am also trying to figure out what to do... Apparently you have to choose between the Central Court and the Lenglen when you buy the ticket, which kind of sucks because if it turns out that your favourite player is on the other one... Well you see what I mean

http://rolandgarros.fft-tickets.com/...2013-GP-FR.pdf
Sophitia36 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
country flag KrisJB

KrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond reputeKrisJB has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I was at Roland Garros tennis tournament and I had tickets of Category 2 for Philippe Chatrier and of Category 1 for Suzanne Lenglen. I paid about 60 Euro for a single ticket for Chatrier and the same price for a single ticket for Lenglen, and I had no problems with watching the gameplay so in my opinion category 1 for Chatrier is not a necessary option.
KrisJB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
country flag Rainalkar

Rainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond reputeRainalkar has a reputation beyond repute

So, did anyone bought the tickets yet?

KrisJB, could you tell me exactly where you were sitting?

And yes Sophitia36, that would suck. But I have a question: for men's quarters, does Lenglen count as outside court? If it does, than it's ok, you can choose the match you want to watch.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
country flag Sophitia36

Sophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond reputeSophitia36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So, who's going?

I have tickets for the 2nd round, that's Wednesday and Thursday.

Might buy more tickets, I still haven't decided, but probably not.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
country flag Rainalkar

Default Re: Who's Going?

I managed to figure out everything regarding and decided what I want to do.

I will attend:
Friday (3rd round)
Saturday (4th)
Sunday (4th)

I enjoy tennis by itself foremost, but I would like to get to see Federer live at least once, and who knows will I get a chance again. I know that he will play on Lenglen or Chatrier, and I also know that 1st seed should play on Friday and Sunday. 2nd seed on Saturday only. 3rd and 4th seeds depending in which of the first two seeds side of the draw they fall into. What this means is:

1. Murray skips RG. Fed is 2nd seed and plays only on Saturday (Lenglen or Chatrier, impossible to tell)
2. Murray plays. Fed is 3rd seed and it's impossible to know will he play Friday+Sunday or Saturday until the draw comes out. So, generally, it's better that Murray plays .

Now! onto the important stuff : the tickets. I've been watching viagogo for some time now and I do believe it is possible to find tickets for the desired venue and date, but it can be quite difficult. People relatively often sell tickets, but they are sold really fast, you actually need to click as fast as you can to finish the transaction which is just nonsense (I lost tickets once because of it). So, for now, I didn't buy any, but I think I will manage eventually. The general plan is Court 1 Friday, Lenglen/Chatrier Saturday/Sunday, no less the Category 2 for all.

If you have any advices for me (like, how to surprise players on some secret passage I've been hearing about and get them to take a photo with you ) or any other, please, share it . I am new in Paris and in RG, and all the help is very welcome.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
country flag Sophitia36

Sorry, I am a newbie too, I do not know any secret information...

I also have the Chatrier/Lenglen dilemma. I have picked Lenglen because I think it's more likely that Ferrer will be there, but if he isn't... I'm going to be very disappointed, even if I can see him training. I might try to exchange the tickets through viagogo but as you said, it is becoming hectic, and the tickets are getting ridiculously overpriced (at least for Bercy, they forbade this practice by putting a limit on the price... here they claim they do this to avoid black market, but my impression is that you get ripped off even more badly!)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
country flag Rainalkar

In my opinion, buy the best you can, and try to exchange with someone within the grounds if need be.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
country flag Sophitia36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainalkar View Post
In my opinion, buy the best you can, and try to exchange with someone within the grounds if need be.
But the problem is, you cannot do this. Tickets have to be "attributed" by name (as they say) to a specific person. This means the only way you can exchange tickets and be sure that they are valid, is through their official exchange site Viagogo.

I was hoping that maybe they were just saying that on the website, but apparently, they DO check people's IDs and so on (some of my friends who went there last year said they did). So that means you cannot enter the court if your name is not on the ticket.

If you go through Viagogo, you'll be able to re-attribute the ticket to yourself after buying it, so it solves the problem. But otherwise, you cannot be certain that you won't be denied entry.

They want people to exchange tickets only through Viagogo. It is a protection against people selling fake tickets, that's for sure, but in terms of ripping people off... it's no different from what they call the "black market", and less flexible.

I have already bought my Lenglen tickets, I bought them when they first went on sale on the official website (and when I see how much they cost now in most Viagogo offers... I'm glad I did!) but if it turns out that I want to see the matches on Chatrier, then my only option will be to try and sell my Lenglen ticket, and buy a Chatrier ticket on the previous evening or even on the day itself, through viagogo.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
country flag Rainalkar

I may be wrong, but based on what I have heard, names are checked when entering the grounds, not the courts themselves. So, once you're inside, you should be able to exchange with someone.

Based on what I see on viagogo now, tickets can still be found for sale price, but sometimes some wannabes post them for insane prices. I doubt they get sold though.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
country flag supertom

supertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond repute

I worked at RG the last 3 years and I confirm: impossible to enter without a ticket with your name. There are plenty of sellers that try to sell you tickets but in most of the cases you cannot enter (you need to have an ID with the name of the ticket)
The only possibility to enter is to go in small courts and try to negotiate inside RG to be on main courts(which happens, usually spectators leave around 3-4P on main courts).
Last possibility, come around 3P for ticket after 5P for late day ticket (if you come after 3P it is almost impossible to have a ticket)

TT doubles: - Rank 94 (+175 in 2013)
Titles: CH Buenos-Aires'12, Fut Poitiers'13 , CH Caltanisseta'13, ATP Bogota (with Fickelgruber)
PAW: Rank 36 (Race: 19)
FITD: W Kuala Lumpur'12, Dusseldorf'13, 2nd Sydney'13
DTT: W Doubles (w. goOudinUSA)

Allez les Frenchies (Tsonga/Monfils/Gasquet/Simon/Paire/De Scheeper/Pouille/Bourgue)
supertom is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
country flag supertom

supertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond reputesupertom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia36 View Post
I have already bought my Lenglen tickets, I bought them when they first went on sale on the official website (and when I see how much they cost now in most Viagogo offers... I'm glad I did!) but if it turns out that I want to see the matches on Chatrier, then my only option will be to try and sell my Lenglen ticket, and buy a Chatrier ticket on the previous evening or even on the day itself, through viagogo.
Go inside and trade with other spectators. Usually if you wanna see a match on Chatrier and for instance Nadal is on the Lenglen, it is easy to find spanish to exchange your ticket
Titles: CH Buenos-Aires'12, Fut Poitiers'13 , CH Caltanisseta'13, ATP Bogota (with Fickelgruber)

Allez les Frenchies (Tsonga/Monfils/Gasquet/Simon/Paire/De Scheeper/Pouille/Bourgue)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
country flag Rainalkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertom View Post
I worked at RG the last 3 years and I confirm: impossible to enter without a ticket with your name. There are plenty of sellers that try to sell you tickets but in most of the cases you cannot enter (you need to have an ID with the name of the ticket)
The only possibility to enter is to go in small courts and try to negotiate inside RG to be on main courts(which happens, usually spectators leave around 3-4P on main courts).
Last possibility, come around 3P for ticket after 5P for late day ticket (if you come after 3P it is almost impossible to have a ticket)

Supertom, did I got this right:

1. it is possible to trade tickets with other people within the grounds, and there is no ID check when entering the show courts
2. What do you mean "negotiate"? Plead security to let you in even if you don't have a ticket? How long does security stay, it can't be that they check the entrances the whole day, especially if it's not some attractive match and there are a lot of empty seats?
3. What does this mean:
Is it possible to buy late day ticket on the grounds?
4. And lastly, can I buy grounds tickets (not show courts) on the entrance the same day?

Thank you in advance
Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
country flag supertom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainalkar View Post
Supertom, did I got this right:

1. it is possible to trade tickets with other people within the grounds, and there is no ID check when entering the show courts
2. What do you mean "negotiate"? Plead security to let you in even if you don't have a ticket? How long does security stay, it can't be that they check the entrances the whole day, especially if it's not some attractive match and there are a lot of empty seats?
3. What does this mean:
Is it possible to buy late day ticket on the grounds?
4. And lastly, can I buy grounds tickets (not show courts) on the entrance the same day?

Thank you in advance
1/ No ID checked when you enter the court. But you need absolutely to have a "contremarque" , a second paper that is given when a spectator is leaving the court. Employees check both ticket and contremarque. But it is really common that spectators exchange tickets according to the program (The best matches are equally divided in the first rounds between Chatrier & Lenglen).
2/ Possibility to negotiate inside RG, but not to enter, it is totally impossible to enter without tickets. But what I advise is to take tickets usually not too expensive for other courts and hope to find a nice person leaving to get his tickets (easy in rainy days ah ah)
3/ I don't know how is called this operation, but every spectator leaving the stadium before 5P give their tickets that are resale to other spectator from 5P. It s exactly "late day ticket". Lots of my friends did that, you don't need to book in advance, just come at 3P and wait until 5P. It is only sold on the grounds.
4/ Tbh I don't think you have any ticket for other court remaining..

Last thing, sometimes, there is something called "laché de court" when there are a lot of empty seats in late evening (8P-ish). It happens 3-4 times in the tournament. Every people are allowed to go to the Chatrier to see the last match - usually not too interesting but to discover the stadium. But, last year, it happens for a .. Williams-Razzano! So try to get the information.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
country flag Rainalkar

1. I understand
2. Ah That would be a blessing for sure.
3. I understand. How long does play last in RG usually, given no rain?
4. I do not understand. You mean to say it is not possible to buy Annexes Courts tickets on the day?

5. Is it possible to sit wherever one likes in the stadium, given it's not overcrowded? For instance, to buy Cat3 Chatrier, is it possible to reach all other parts of the stands?

Super, super helpful, thanks

Last edited by Rainalkar : 05-20-2013 at 12:31 PM.