**** Coins **** - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: **** Coins ****

12 Florins 9 Sols 1795 Geneve

My most fun denomination given in Roman numerals. At the time it was 12 sols for one florin, so the denomination can also be read as 12 3/4. A pity this is not given on the coin as it would be the only one I've ever seen to include numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4

The reason for this denomination was the same as for the Lübeck coin. The size is similar also.

Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
not sure i understand, the reason square coins have never been common is bc of a siege? why? it looks special
Ah, I apologize for the poor explanation. Square coins have never been common - period. Round coins take a bit more effort to make but are easier to use, so throughout most of history mintmakers have preferred making round ones, with some exceptions. The siege was the reason for why Groningen in particular made square coins - they could not access the expertise of the mint and thus made coins in the most basic way.

I changed my original post to make this clearer.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #33
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Ah, I apologize for the poor explanation. Square coins have never been common - period. Round coins take a bit more effort to make but are easier to use, so throughout most of history mintmakers have preferred making round ones, with some exceptions. The siege was the reason for why Groningen in particular made square coins - they could not access the expertise of the mint and thus made coins in the most basic way.

I changed my original post to make this clearer.
maybe its bc they cost more? i know in israel in the past we had a one Penny coin but they stop making it and use it bc it cost more then penny to make penny

things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #34
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
maybe its bc they cost more? i know in israel in the past we had a one Penny coin but they stop making it and use it bc it cost more then penny to make penny
That is an agorah, not a penny, isn't it? I have one from 1980, a slightly different type, a "New agorah"
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #35
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is an agorah, not a penny, isn't it? I have one from 1980, a slightly different type, a "New agorah"
the translation of a cent/penny/agora is the same, i thought it will be easy if i will say penny instead of agora

what i show u is a coin who started to use after 1985 (big big problems with the money back then)

this is b4 1985 its call - new agora

The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #36
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
the translation of a cent/penny/agora is the same, i thought it will be easy if i will say penny instead of agora
Don't make it easy on my behalf. You could do me a small favour, though. Could you indicate if the "New agorah" coin actually has new and/or agorah written on it? I have been thinking of making a collection of coin denomination names as well as numbers, but with the specification that the name must occur written on the coin unabbreviated. I an unable to ascertain if this is the case here.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
country flag Punky

yes markus on the silver coin under the number 1 it is writen "a new agora" and the year it was Created

on the newer gold coin it is writen "agora" on the left side

Old 02-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #38
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
yes markus on the silver coin under the number 1 it is writen "a new agora" and the year it was Created

on the newer gold coin it is writen "agora" on the left side
Thanks But really - silver and gold? Try aluminium and aluminiumbronze
Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #39
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the coin has writing on the edge from the minting process. That is why is looks like there might be small edge deficiencies. In reality it's almost as good as new.
The coin is very much medal-like, it was probably minted for prestige rather than trade. Very nice and rare thing, again you certainly didn't overpay it. The condition, patina and the overall look are superb.

I suggest you trade a little, you will have more money for such beautiful things

I'm going to post some more stuff a bit later
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
country flag Punky

Quote:
Thanks But really - silver and gold? Try aluminium and aluminiumbronze
I prefer a more romantic terms

Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #41
country flag Punky

anyone can tell me about this coin?
i see my name

Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #42
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
anyone can tell me about this coin?
i see my name
It is this kind of amber, Amber:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber

The coin commemmorates a trade route used to transport it. The drop is actual amber.

This has nothing whatever to do with Niue, which is a very small pacific island nation. They commemmorate things that happened to others because selling coins such as these to collectors represent important income to them, and because nothing much interesting has ever happened to them, I guess.... The coins are not meant for circulation. I prefer coins meant for circulation for my own collection.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

1 Thaler 1704 Austria

This coin has an amusing portrait

Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #44
country flag Punky

it looks sn english king

Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #45
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it looks sn english king
It's Austrian emperor Leopold I on a beautifully preserved and toned thaler

According to wikipedia "Due to an extreme interbreeding among his progenitors, the hereditary Habsburg jaw was most prominent in Leopold. Because his jaw was depicted unusually large on a 1670 silver coin, Leopold was nicknamed "the Hogmouth". However, most collectors do not believe the coin was an accurate depiction"

However, I know for sure they depicted him like that on many coins, not just one...

edit: an interesting article on "royal deformities" http://georgielowery.hubpages.com/hu...-and-Disorders

Last edited by ssin : 02-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote