The "Who plays tennis?" thread - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #76
country flag Topspinfetishist
Banned!

Topspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond reputeTopspinfetishist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The "Who plays tennis?" thread

I have to say that I'm surprised how many on this thread lament the weakness of their serves. The 3 most important shots in tennis are the serve, return of serve and cross court groundstrokes, in that order. If you are committed to your game, those shots are what you should be spending your practice time on. Mastering those shots is what will pay the highest dividends in match play. My serve is my best shot and my biggest weapon. It is nice to know that if you serve well, it's almost impossible to be broken.

So, having said that, the serve in tennis is based on throwing. The pitching motion is the same as the service motion - you gently place (I don't like the word toss), the ball into a box in the air with one hand, and you throw the racquet at the ball with a pitching motion with the other hand. It's not much more complicated than that.

Here is one of the all time great pitchers (even if he is a dang lefty), Sandy Koufax. Notice that, in the windup, his shoulders are nearly vertical with his throwing shoulder below his other shoulder, and at the point of release, his shoulders are nearly vertical again, the shoulders having reversed positions with the throwing shoulder now above the opposite shoulder and in line with his arm. This is how he generates his amazing upper body rotation. UBR is the key to serves and groundstrokes. Swinging with the arm only from the shoulder is defective technique in the modern game. You have to maximize your UBR. Koufax's UBR and arm motion is what you should emulate in your service motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgMXFBHLP0

Here are two of the best serving lessons I've found online. Although neither explicitly explains that they are teaching UBR, that is exactly what they are teaching, using mataphors to explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlPVdppfYGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoZ0f7hw-A

I hope you all find this helpful.

Last edited by Topspinfetishist : 10-24-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Topspinfetishist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #77
country flag Freak3yman84

Freak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond reputeFreak3yman84 has a reputation beyond repute

I play through the whole summer and a lot of fall/winter.

Serve: It really really really depends. Some days I can hit my first serve in 90% of the time, and some days I miss every single 1st serve. I copy my serve off of Tsonga although it's not even close
Forehand: Insanely weird technique. I use a semi-western and I shank soooo often it's ridiculous. I get a lot of spin from this wing though, sometimes too much. When I try to put a forehand away it usually just spins up and gives my opponent more time
Backhand: Mediocre. It goes through streaks as well. It's mostly a push shot for me. When I'm not feeling good on my forehand I'll move around my forehand and hit a backhand push down the middle a la Monaco.
Volleys: Really, really bad. I'm improving, but I probably have the worst volleys out of anyone I know. My backhand volley is decent at best, but I cannot hit a forehand volley to save my life...
Overhead: Solid, nothing spectacular. It gets the job done, but sometimes I hit it too weak and wind up hitting 5 overheads until I miss.
Mentality: I'm very calm most of the time. But every once in awhile when I'm losing a match that I should win i go absolutely apeshit
Fitness: My biggest strength. I can run faster than anyone I play, and my defensive style allows me to just chase down balls until my opponent misses. I piss people off a lot!

Number of Times I've Cried Over Sucking at FITD: All but four

W Samarkand Singles W Charlottesville W Lermontov W ATP Bastad W Bol Fut (w/MathMul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kuerten View Post
Freakyman is a mythical figure who went bat shit insane during the 2012 ACC and got himself permbanned and the whole ACC with him.

He then forced an unban by sleeping with the entire moderation crew and these days you can see him post in a mellowed down version, while being under the influence of strong medication.
Freak3yman84 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #78
country flag Jverweij

Jverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond reputeJverweij has a reputation beyond repute

I've played recreationally for about 9 years. I'm not any good at all. I hit a heavy topspin FH and have a pretty solid BH. My serve is absolute crap, and together with my mental tardiness the reason I lose matches. Never use dropshots and my volleys are meh. I'm a great runner though, and have alot of stamina. Even though matches can be frustrating for me, I like playing alot. My rating is about 5.5. If only I had a serve
Jverweij is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #79
country flag HKz
Hakeem

HKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond reputeHKz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulldog View Post
Has anyone else managed to get their serve measured at all?

I got mine done a couple of years ago, quickest I got (in) was a 95mph serve. I reckon I'd be able to up that now, I'm three inches taller, a lot stronger. Hopefully I can do it sometime.
Yeah, I used to work at a tennis store while I was competing on the USTA junior circuit, and we had a radar gun. I could get my flat ones up to about 120 from time to time. However, the number one before me at my high school was hitting 130s pretty consistently. He had a tremendous serve despite being quite short, very Grosjean-like. Of course it is difficult to tell how our shots would be compared to pros, considering the balls they use are definitely a little heavier and thicker than what the junior circuit used. At least they felt whenever I retrived a couple balls at some practice courts in Indian Wells whenever a pro would mishit a ball out the court.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #80
country flag fran70

fran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond reputefran70 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to play a lot and competitive tennis(I made the try to become a professional player) when I was a teenager and twenties till my early 30ties. I stop and didn't touch a tennis racket for about 5 years till last year (At 41 years old). My fitness changed since my twenties as I'm not as fast as I used to be but I'm fast enought compared to most of the guys on their twenties that I played with last year.
My game is an aggresive one. I attack as soon as I have a chance.
1) Aggresive forehand which is a big weapon when I'm in control of the point but is rubbish when I'm in a defensive position .
2) GREAT two handed backhand. Really good on defensive and offensive game. Great control. I tend to dictate the game with it. I even move over my backhand when I have the chance to make a great shot . Today I have not the speed as I used to have in the past so I find some troubles to counterpunch as I used to do in the past. My backhand is the key of my game
3) Great first and second serves inspite of my height (1,75). I feel really confidence with it on hard courts but not so effective on clay.
4) Descent volleys and overhead. Nice overall net game. My height never helped me with it to make of it a real weapon.
5) Poor game tactics. Probably one of my weaknesses. I tend to control the game and everything depends of me as my offensive game is really good but my defensive game is really bad especially today as I'm not that fast as in the past.
6) Mentally strong and great determination. This is one of my strenghts. I never give up. Never gave up. You have to beat me if you want to win.
7) I always felt more confident on hard and carpet than on clay which is a surface where I hate to play (most of the court surfaces in Argentina are clay)
[b]My hall of fame: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal-Jo Wilfried Tsonga-David Ferrer-Juan Carlos Ferrero-Tommy Haas- Radek Stepanek-Lleyton Hewitt-David Nalbandian-Guillermo Cańas-Carlos Moya-Pete Sampras-Petr Korda- Kent Carlsson-Richard Krajicek-Karol Kucera-Tim Henman-Alex Corretja-Thomas Muster-Michael Stich-Pat Cash-Patrick Rafter-Darren Cahill-Ivan Lendl-Mats Wilander-Miloslav Mecir-Karel Novacek-Joakim Nystrom-Henrik Sundstrom-Hans Simonsson-Anders Jarryd-Jimmy Connors-Bjorn Borg-Guillermo Vilas.
fran70 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #81
country flag Mjau!

Mjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond reputeMjau! has a reputation beyond repute

I have played tennis on no more than a few occassions. It's difficult to hit the other side of the court and therefore not very enjoyable.
Mjau! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #82
country flag Slade
Anti-Dull Alliance

Slade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond reputeSlade has a reputation beyond repute

Recently I've been trying to adopt the Bashdyck ball toss before serve

Failures of Nadull
  • Most weeks at #2
  • Lopsided slam count. 9/14 won in one of four GS
  • Losing to three players ranked over 100 in 3 consecutive peak years... IN SLAMS
  • Dull has never dominated a surface other than clay, with no indoor resume to speak of. 0 WTF
  • Extensive history of gamesmanship
Slade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #83
country flag tennisprince

tennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond reputetennisprince has a reputation beyond repute

I used to play regularly when I was still in school however I stopped playing cos all my friends who I used to play with ended up moving away so it was tough to find soemone who I wanted to play with however I want to get back into the game again as its been aaaaaggges. I used to have a good backhand but am waitign to see how things pan out from my end.
tennisprince is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #84
country flag Kyle_Johansen

Kyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond reputeKyle_Johansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
My game?

Fucking awesome forehand.

Good one handed backhand.

Decent serve.

Good movement and speed.

Mentally very strong.

Shit overheads.

Below average volleys.

Average endurance and fitness.

Average returns.
Funny, this could describe my game except my returns are strong.
Kyle_Johansen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #85
country flag MichaelKrep

MichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond reputeMichaelKrep has a reputation beyond repute

My game peaked at U-14 level. Probably because I stopped going to practice after that (other priorities). Anyway, here is a summary (I am a leftie, by the way):

First serve: I hit it quite flat and can get a lot of pace, but not a lot of variety and placement.
Second serve: consistent, but not a lot of pace or kick to it.
Forehand: main weapon from the baseline, love to get a lot of angle on it when going cross court and surprise a guy who is planted behind the baseline or just close my eyes (not literally) and go for the down-the-line winner.
Backhand: trying to switch from two-handed to single-handed at the moment. A lot of power when I hit it early enough, but when the ball comes in with decent pace can't always get the control right.
Volleys and overheads: main weakness. Combined with the fact that I'm 5'8'', I tend to not rush the net.
Footwork: needs a lot of work, mainly because I play only occasionally and can't get a good rhythm going.
Mental side: used to choke sometimes when playing competitively, not so much nowadays, because I play very few matches of importance.

Grigor Dimitrov Newest Member of Top 10
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga | Marcos Baghdatis

Andy Murray | Alexandr Dolgopolov | Milos Raonic
Pistol Pete

Last edited by MichaelKrep : 03-25-2013 at 11:46 PM.
MichaelKrep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #86
country flag Dougie

Dougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond reputeDougie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinfetishist View Post
I have to say that I'm surprised how many on this thread lament the weakness of their serves. The 3 most important shots in tennis are the serve, return of serve and cross court groundstrokes, in that order. If you are committed to your game, those shots are what you should be spending your practice time on. Mastering those shots is what will pay the highest dividends in match play. My serve is my best shot and my biggest weapon. It is nice to know that if you serve well, it's almost impossible to be broken.
It´s not quite that simple, it depends on the level you play in. In professional tennis, the importance of serve is huge. But at club level (where I assume most of the people here play), going for big serves rarely pays dividends. Having variety and good placement is obviously nice to have, but the importance of serve is really not that big. I would guess that the reason many people see their serve as weakness is because they think too much about the speed or number of aces. High 1st serve % and variety are actually more important. Whatever the shot, minimising errors is the most important thing at lower levels of the game.
Dougie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #87
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

The serve is the hardest shot in the game and also the shot that is dictated the most by your physique. Professionals players spent their entire life hitting serves all day and they still struggle to serve at 60% first serves. Why do you think a club level player who plays once or twice a week would be anywhere near as good?

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #88
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a very very poor man's Cirstea

But I can hit a better defensive forehand slice...

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
Petra Quitova
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #89
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateya View Post
I'm a very very poor man's Cirstea
You were always Kleybanova in my fantasies.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #90
country flag Mateya
Mateja Atptourova

Mateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond reputeMateya has a reputation beyond repute

Kleybanova? That's almost an insult.

Mateya's FAQ: Yes, I'm a girl. Profile pic is me. I watch and play tennis since 13 (1997). I don't play ITFs anymore, I have a job now. MTF-> uncovering my naughty side since 2007.
http://www4.slikomat.com/13/1210/88t-Mateja.jpg
Slovenia's finest: Grega Žemlja, Aljaž Bedene, Blaž Kavčič; Anže Kopitar, TINA MAZE, Melanija Trump, Mateja *********.
SLOVENIA - small but extremely dangerous.
Umag > Roland Garros
Petra Quitova
Nothing in life is NID.
Mateya is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote