Murray's constant swearing on court - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #106
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Murray's constant swearing on court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamray View Post
I suppose he should be shouting stuff like "How could you do that old chap?!?" and "I say! How could that have been out???"...
that would be hilarious! A little Britcom-style entertainment. But he's Scottish, so I guess that ain't happening.
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #107
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMIC View Post
The mark of a true pusher/defensive player: "I SHOULD have returned that unreturnable shot. Whether it be an ace at 413 MPH or a winner that was hit while I was still in the locker room. I SHOULD have got to it."

Can't stand him
Did you just make that up on that spot? I highly doubt that's the thought process. It's more like Murray venting his frustration that his opponent was too good on a critical point. Do you play? It's highly irritating when your opponent hits an ace on a big point, especially if it happens several times.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #108
country flag Hewitt =Legend

Hewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond reputeHewitt =Legend has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceAce View Post
Swearing is against the rules btw. That it's not enforced for Mugray is just more top player bias.

Anyway, it's a disgrace. As already mentioned, he does it when the opponent is the better player. Often against Federer you see Fed pull off a great shot and the whole stadium is cheering except for Mugray who is making a face and cursing. He has no respect for his opponents or the game, and as Andy Roddick would say he's not good enough to be that arrogant. In a just world, the rules would be enforced and he would lose every match in 2 games max after a warning (code violation), point penalty (verbal abuse after the warning), game penalty (gamesmanship), match penalty (all of the above), fine and ban from ATP (lack of effort).
You do realise that pretty much every player on tour (except for B-Nard) swears during matches right?

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #109
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Did you just make that up on that spot? I highly doubt that's the thought process. It's more like Murray venting his frustration that his opponent was too good on a critical point. Do you play? It's highly irritating when your opponent hits an ace on a big point, especially if it happens several times.
At the very least, Murray can keep this kind of frustration to HIMSELF, especially if somebody is too good for him. How you can bitch about something that is out of your control is beyond me.

And on the flip side, isn't the person who was clutch on a critical point usually relieved to have came up with the goods? I'm sure Murray wouldn't like it if his opponent taunted him after he was aced. "Yeah, you wanted that break point, didn't you? Well it's gone now and there is nothing you can do about it."

Just because it goes through your brain doesn't mean it has to come out of your mouth.

And yes, I play. I also am quick to say "good shot" to an opponent who aces me on a break point or hits a winner or whatever. I'm nothing like Murray on the court. I'm capable of appreciating good tennis, even if it comes from the other side of the net.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #110
country flag samo7266

samo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
Murray - Constant swearing, mug.
Rafa - Rosol bump, badeye / glaring at opponents, occasional swearing in Spanish, time wasting, gamesmanship
Nole - time wasting, gamesmanship
Federer - rare swearing USO'09 and AO'13, arrogance

Who's the worst?

The one you hate most.
First off, I don't "hate" any of them, but in terms of gamesmanship/what you are referring to I'd have to give it to Nadal. He plays extremely slow, he hits extra hard during the warm-up (for intimidation), and tends to pick crucial times for trainer/bathroom break.

What is frustrating is that he DOESN'T need to. He's so good and so talented I wish he would drop the act and just play.
samo7266 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #111
country flag samo7266

samo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond reputesamo7266 has a reputation beyond repute

Also...Murray's swearing is usually self-directed and that doesn't bother me; it'd be nice if he didn't but that's not a problem. When he feigns injury or grabs at a muscle and then runs like a gazelle that bugs me.

Swearing that is directed at another player shouldn't happen (Federer at Murray). I consider Roger to be a really classy player so I was surprised to see that; hopefully we don't see it again in the future.
samo7266 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #112
country flag Sophocles

Sophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond reputeSophocles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At the very least, Murray can keep this kind of frustration to HIMSELF, especially if somebody is too good for him. How you can bitch about something that is out of your control is beyond me.

And on the flip side, isn't the person who was clutch on a critical point usually relieved to have came up with the goods? I'm sure Murray wouldn't like it if his opponent taunted him after he was aced. "Yeah, you wanted that break point, didn't you? Well it's gone now and there is nothing you can do about it."

Just because it goes through your brain doesn't mean it has to come out of your mouth.

And yes, I play. I also am quick to say "good shot" to an opponent who aces me on a break point or hits a winner or whatever. I'm nothing like Murray on the court. I'm capable of appreciating good tennis, even if it comes from the other side of the net.
Sometimes though he may be berating himself for playing the rally in the wrong way, allowing his opponent to come up with the big winner. When you consider Murray's penchant for junk-balling, it makes sense.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #113
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Murray isn't the only person that does this by the way. The point you're missing is he isn't directing the the swearing at his opponent - it's towards himself or his box. If I was playing him and he did that I'd be happy and highly amused to be honest. Just because he's acting like a petulant gimp doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate his opponent's good play. I find the act of clapping an opponent's good play pretty frivolous. I rarely ever see that reaction on a critical point. Djokovic likes to do it when he is destroying his opponent and they randomly come up with a wild winner. I've seen Djokovic and other players have negative reactions to winners because they feel their shot was too short/weak and allowed their opponent to dictate. Same shit.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #114
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

MIMIC is so fucking butthurt over the USO that the blood's flying out when he goes the bog.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #115
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Murray isn't the only person that does this by the way. The point you're missing is he isn't directing the the swearing at his opponent - it's towards himself or his box. If I was playing him and he did that I'd be happy and highly amused to be honest. Just because he's acting like a petulant gimp doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate his opponent's good play. I find the act of clapping an opponent's good play pretty frivolous. I rarely ever see that reaction on a critical point. Djokovic likes to do it when he is destroying his opponent and they randomly come up with a wild winner. I've seen Djokovic and other players have negative reactions to winners because they feel their shot was too short/weak and allowed their opponent to dictate. Same shit.
He doesn't HAVE to appreciate anything; I don't care whether he does or not. But his BEHAVIOR is appalling, regardless of who it's directed at. Smacking his head with the racket, swearing like he lost his mind....because someone cracked a winner by him because he was out-smarted? Who does he think he is? Are winners not allowed against him because his pushing is supposed to THAT perfect or something? He even screams "come on" after his opponent makes a random UE after a 4-shot rally. Because in his mind, that's what supposed to happen when you play this pushing POS. Hit a winner and he gets pissed.

EVERYONE reacts negatively to being outsmarted sometimes. But what Murray does doesn't even BEGIN to compare to how everyone else behaves. It's fucking disgraceful.

So to recap: he cheers unforced errors, and swears during winners. What's not to like about this guy?

I'm just waiting for him to smash his racket after he is aced to cement his loathsomeness. Hopefully he'll be defaulted one day.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #116
country flag leng jai

Quote:
He doesn't HAVE to appreciate anything; I don't care whether he does or not. But his BEHAVIOR is appalling, regardless of who it's directed at. Smacking his head with the racket, swearing like he lost his mind....because someone cracked a winner by him because he was out-smarted? Who does he think he is? Are winners not allowed against him because his pushing is supposed to THAT perfect or something? He even screams "come on" after his opponent makes a random UE after a 4-shot rally. Because in his mind, that's what supposed to happen when you play this pushing POS. Hit a winner and he gets pissed.

EVERYONE reacts negatively to being outsmarted sometimes. But what Murray does doesn't even BEGIN to compare to how everyone else behaves. It's fucking disgraceful.

So to recap: he cheers unforced errors, and swears during winners. What's not to like about this guy?

I'm just waiting for him to smash his racket after he is aced to cement his loathsomeness. Hopefully he'll be defaulted one day.
Yeah you really must be butthurt about the USO because the amount of hyperbole in this post is comical. You make it sound like he swears after every winner hit against him and cheers every single unforced error. You need a reality check because Djokovic also cheers after unforced errors during critical points. There's no use singling out Murray because his language is of the saltier variety. It's not like Murray is fist pumping at UEs in the first point of a set or at 15-0 up on his service game. The frustration is simply is to the fact he's losing. He's swearing and cussing because the match isn't going the way he wants it to. It's not because of your reasoning which is that he should never be beaten or outsmarted. Heaps in players react in a similar fashion in their own way. Players that don't ar usually too submissive and incapable of pulling out big perfomances. Gasquet's reaction to losing for example is far more pathetic IMO. Haas swears after being aced on break point or being outplayed and he does it all the time.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #117
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah you really must be butthurt about the USO because the amount of hyperbole in this post is comical. You make it sound like he swears after every winner hit against him and cheers every single unforced error. You need a reality check because Djokovic also cheers after unforced errors during critical points. There's no use singling out Murray because his language is of the saltier variety. It's not like Murray is fist pumping at UEs in the first point of a set or at 15-0 up on his service game. The frustration is simply is to the fact he's losing. He's swearing and cussing because the match isn't going the way he wants it to. It's not because of your reasoning which is that he should never be beaten or outsmarted. Heaps in players react in a similar fashion in their own way. Players that don't ar usually too submissive and incapable of pulling out big perfomances. Gasquet's reaction to losing for example is far more pathetic IMO. Haas swears after being aced on break point or being outplayed and he does it all the time.
In the AO this year more or less every game I saw players cheered, fist-pumped, or "c'mon"'d when they benefited from an UE at a crucial time. It's fairly common...
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #118
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

It adds to his appeal, no doubt. It's his personality and I enjoy watching players with personality, not robots.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #119
country flag Honestly

Honestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond reputeHonestly has a reputation beyond repute

It's childish. But at least these days it doesn't stop him from winning matches. A pro should know better though.
302 weeks at #1
7 Wimbledon titles
10 consecutive slam F, 23 consecutive slam SF, 36 consecutive slam QF
3/4 slam titles on 3 occasions, 4/4 slam finals on 3 occasions
4 consecutive Laureus sportsman of the year awards

Quickly dumbtards, hand out bad reps so you can bad rep me again. It's been almost 24 hours!
Honestly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #120
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree with MIMIC, he described Murray's attitude prefectly. Murray's swearing is unlike the usual swearing, it really is annoying.