Doping in Tennis Thread (No accusations without proof. Wada could test using hair) - Page 59 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Does Tennis need more/stricter testing?

yes 271 84.16%
no 51 15.84%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #871
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doping in Tennis Thread (No accusations without proof)

Andy Murray has called for tennis to improve its drug testing procedure in the wake of the recent doping scandals which have blighted the sporting world.

And Murray believes tennis needs to tighten up its doping controls and perform more blood tests on players in order to prevent the use of banned substances and methods.

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/new...to-be-improved

Andy Murray wants tennis to learn from the Lance Armstrong doping scandal and introduce tighter controls.

The British number one believes that prize funds should be reduced if it is the only way to fund more regular blood testing and protect the sport's image.

"It's down to our governing bodies and the ATP to invest some of our own money and make sure we get more testing done," he said.

"If it means taking some of the money out of the players' earnings then that's what we have to do."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21330805
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #872
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

It is interesting to note that while Federer and Murray want more/stringent drug testing in tennis, Djokovic and Nadal said publicly that drug testing in tennis is sufficient.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #873
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

40% of Dr Fuentes's clients were footballers and tennis players.

And yet the Spanish authorities are doing all it can to ensure we never find out their identities.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 AM   #874
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
I know all that and mentioned it : I just say it's a totally absurd situation.

And in the present case, the Spanish justice has never wanted to cooperate with the sports anti-doping organizations despite their multiple requests hence the public complaints of the WADA

Besides, the clients' "privacy" has been broken by Fuentes in this trial, but only as far as cyclists were concerned (Heras and a bunch of others), clearly because he has a deal with the Spanish justice about what he can say and what he cannot say. The judge did nothing to prevent him from revealing those names during the trial.
dont try to reason with chair umpire. hes a spanish nationalist tard at heart.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #875
country flag green25814

green25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond reputegreen25814 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
It is interesting to note that while Federer and Murray want more/stringent drug testing in tennis, Djokovic and Nadal said publicly that drug testing in tennis is sufficient.
When has Djokovic done that?

Federer - The Artist
Murray - The Tactician
Nalbandian - The Ballstriker
Llodra - The S/V
green25814 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #876
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
IIRC, in the past, Nadal has criticised the whereabouts system and the way some of those doping tests are done but never the need to undergo tests themselves.

In the previous 6 months or so, he has undergone many (7, I think) blood/urine tests (apparently, it is typical during a comeback/recovery period to increase the amount of doping tests) and he said recently that tennis players should be tested more openly and more frequently, if that means undergoing doping tests on a weekly basis for example, so be it.
Castafiore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #877
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
IIRC, in the past, Nadal has criticised the whereabouts system and the way some of those doping tests are done but never the need to undergo tests themselves.
I don't mean to criticize Nadal, because Murray himself and many other guys like Tipsarevic also kept on and on and on criticizing the whereabouts system ...

but I would just like to say that it's absurd and it should be stopped now in the public, to in the meantime criticize the whereabouts system and ask for more controls.

The whereabouts system is absolutely necessary for any out-of-competition anti-doping procedure and for any biological passport procedure, if ever tennis finally goes there one day.

It's impossible now for Murray after what he just said, to keep on criticizing the whereabouts system, and I hope this kind of critics will now stop.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #878
country flag Castafiore

Castafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond reputeCastafiore has a reputation beyond repute

Agreeing to regular doping tests should not have to exclude being critical about how those tests are done. Those procedures can always be improved from both sides.

Murray gave a couple of good examples in the past of the whereabouts system being ridiculous at times, even though it's necessary as a principle. Murray is in a tournament, so there's enough opportunity to test him. He crashes out of that tournament and Murray's team needs to inform the system where he'll be next. So far, no problem. Less than 24 hours later, a Murray who is tired and suffers from jetlag gets a visit at an impossible time very early in the morning. What's the point in that exactly? Why not test him at the tournament instead of bothering him at home. I think that Murray & co where not against the whereabouts system (obviously, it's necessary for out-of-competition testing) but the system itself could be improved on. The whereabouts system is necessary but should not be abused either by the powers-that-be.

After the Armstrong affair, I think that many of those athletes (not just in tennis) are all too eager to say "we are 100% for doping tests" and not eager at all to say anything critical about the procedure, out of fear of getting a "suspicious" label.

Last edited by Castafiore : 02-05-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #879
country flag boldrock

boldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond reputeboldrock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Djokovic came from a wealthy family in Serbia though?

In fact, most professional tennis players, unless they happen to be the children of tennis coaches, have to have wealthy parents to get in the game at such a young age. The Williams sisters are more of an exception i think.
Djokovic family was middle class, had a lot of debt due to money they had to invest in him.

---------------

So, some kid living in a favela does not have the same opportunities for becoming a professional tennis player as a kid from a wealthy family in Switzerland. Or a kid from a wealthy family in Brasil. That's not a problem. Tennis is a very expensive game to be interested in. Always has been. To say that having more money is "a kind of cheating" is plain stupid. It would mean that some players, from wealthy and upper middle class families and\or tournament winners are cheaters by birth, or by winning prize money.

The real problem is that the same poor favela kid has very limited opportunities for higher education/regular jobs, even with Brasil's improved social mobility in the last decade.
boldrock is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #880
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Murray is in a tournament, so there's enough opportunity to test him. He crashes out of that tournament and less than 24 hours later, a Murray who is tired and suffers from jetlag gets a visit at an impossible time very early in the morning. What's the point in that exactly?
Because:

1) all players know they're going to be tested during tournaments, so if they don't have rocks in their head they know not to have any of that stuff in their system at the time, and

2) improving recovery is one of the primary advantages of doping, so many professional athletes dope immediately after events. It's a good time to catch them with random tests.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #881
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreeing to regular doping tests should not have to exclude being critical about how those tests are done. Those procedures can always be improved from both sides.

Murray gave a couple of good examples in the past of the whereabouts system being ridiculous at times, even though it's necessary as a principle. Murray is in a tournament, so there's enough opportunity to test him. He crashes out of that tournament and Murray's team needs to inform the system where he'll be next. So far, no problem. Less than 24 hours later, a Murray who is tired and suffers from jetlag gets a visit at an impossible time very early in the morning. What's the point in that exactly? Why not test him at the tournament instead of bothering him at home. I think that Murray & co where not against the whereabouts system (obviously, it's necessary for out-of-competition testing) but the system itself could be improved on. The whereabouts system is necessary but should not be abused either by the powers-that-be.

After the Armstrong affair, I think that many of those athletes (not just in tennis) are all too eager to say "we are 100% for doping tests" and not eager at all to say anything critical about the procedure, out of fear of getting a "suspicious" label.
I disagree with you about that.

I'm not naive and don't care at all which individual players are speaking now. I just want things to change and for that, it's good that there is some public support wherever it comes from (and top-players being a lot talked about in the media, their vocal support is very welcome).

But those critics against the whereabouts system which you speak about and of course focusing on a few events as always they do in those cases , were extremely counterproductive imo and I firmly want them to stop.

It's too easy to say that the doping inspectors who have no voice in the media, don't know how their job should be done well, and that players who can gossip a lot, know better than them how it should be done. It's too easy and also I firmly think that it's wrong : people who do this job know why they do it like that and try to have good procedures. I want those critics to stop.

Last edited by duong : 02-05-2013 at 10:33 AM.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #882
country flag Wolfy

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Let's just wait a couple of years, when they retire , they'll confess

Laura Robson Rank top 30
Rafa Hardcourt&Clay Goat
Wolfy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #883
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Let's just wait a couple of years, when they retire , they'll confess
Why would they? Agassi only did it to sell a book, and he didn't cop to PEDs.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #884
country flag Castafiore

Quote:
It's too easy to say that the doping inspectors who have no voice in the media, don't know how their job should be done well, and that players who can gossip a lot, know better than them how it should be done. It's too easy and also I firmly think that it's wrong
Maybe that's how you interprete my words but it's not how I wrote them or how I meant them.

Quote:
people who do this job know why they do it like that and try to have good procedures. I want those critics to stop.
I think that the doping debate should be thrown wide open but that's something many people say for decades and I don't think it's every going to happen.

The Armstrong case confirmed one thing clearly: those procedures are not 100% effective and it proved that we need to be critical on both sides: the athletes & their teams on one side but also the officials on the other side.

If you want those top athletes to be open about it and accept every test that's thrown at them, you have to be open about the doping tests themselves and the procedures. You can't have it both ways, I feel.
If you're going to be very critical on one side, you can't assume blind faith on the other side.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #885
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
You have nothing to stand on, not my fault Bringing African kids into this discussion is a very poor taste, they usually have far bigger problems than playing tennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Agreed.
Do you even know what you are agreeing with? You're the one stuffing the "inequality" argument down everybody's throat here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Djokovic came from a wealthy family in Serbia though?
Middle class at best, the only thing that saved them all from getting bankrupt was Novak starting to win bigger $$ from tournaments pretty early.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote