Barcelona QF : Raonic def. Murray 6-4 7-6(3) - Page 15 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #211
country flag SwingVolley93

SwingVolley93 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barcelona QF : Raonic def. Murray 6-4 7-6(3)

Great win for Milos
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #212
country flag Orka_n

Orka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond reputeOrka_n has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post
Don't know what you mean with the first sentence. Work ethic alone doesn't make you a great player. But in this particular case, Delpo's work ethic helped him maximize his potential in a way that Nalbandian unfortunately couldn't despite his great talent.

And of course winning a Slam makes a player great. I don't know why people act as if guys like Gaudio or Johansson fluked their titles or something. No one gave them anything. They saw a chance to get the most coveted prize in tennis and they took it, which many more talented players couldn't do, so extra credit to them.

Slams are the pinnacle of achievement in tennis and that doesn't change arbitrarily just because people feel that certain players aren't worthy of the title/fluked the title. It's bizarre that players who win one Slam seem to get more flak around here than some players who never won one. Johansson, Gaudio, Gomez (and Delpo too) managed to do what Murray (and others) has been chasing after for years with no success, they were not offered their titles, maybe they deserve some respect... Well, at least it's clear that they left their mark; even if it's merely to deride/mock their achievements, people keep mentioning them all the time years after they're retired.

I'm not saying other tournaments are irrelevant, of course they aren't. But those 4 tournaments are the ones everyone dreams of winning, the ones who etch one's name in tennis history forever. Something tells me that Murray would not finish his career very happy if he won 20+ masters titles but still got no Slam.

Greater is a very subjective term, there's no objective consensual criteria to rank the greatness of tennis players. But to me and people who share this view, who I am sure there are many including on this board, I'll always rate players who managed to get a Slam over those who didn't. If all other achievements remained equal and Del Potro had 2 Slams and Murray 1, I'd rate Murray ahead of Del Potro - and I do rate for instance Roddick ahead of Kafelniknov. But when a player has never managed to get one Slam, I really can't. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it; those who manage to get the greatest prize deserve to be rated above those who never did it.
This post reminds me of flyboy before he turned into Filo V. You could shorten that post by 2 thirds and still say the same things.

You'll have to excuse me but I don't have the energy to respond to you as I see it as a waste of time. I am surprised though that the first sentence in my previous post was hard to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times, October 2014
During this year’s United States Open, Soderling said, he was watching a match on television when his young daughter came into the room. For a moment, she watched her father watching the tennis, but then she interrupted.

“She wanted to watch Dora,” Soderling said. “So, I said, ‘O.K.’ We watched Dora.”
Orka_n is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #213
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orka_n View Post
This post reminds me of flyboy before he turned into Filo V. You could shorten that post by 2 thirds and still say the same things.

You'll have to excuse me but I don't have the energy to respond to you as I see it as a waste of time. I am surprised though that the first sentence in my previous post was hard to understand.
Yeah, I do tend to write more than necessary and go on and on

And yes, of course you're excused. I wasn't expecting you to reply anywya.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #214
country flag lupojohn

lupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond reputelupojohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
I think when the big three retire he can win a slam. With clowns like Mugic and Dimugtrov as his greatest rivals, its certainly possible.
You were saying..................
lupojohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote