Doping in Tennis Thread (No accusations without proof. Wada could test using hair) - Page 58 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Does Tennis need more/stricter testing?

yes 271 84.16%
no 51 15.84%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #856
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doping in Tennis Thread (No accusations without proof)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
As far as I'm concerned, Spain's whole attitude to doping is disgraceful. Those names and those blood bags should be given to WADA to have a look at. Are the Spanish authorities afraid a few sporting heroes' reputations might take a hit or two?
More than a few - in this case we're talking 200 top athletes alone, and only a bit over 50 have been identified. The rest (mostly footballers, tennis players, and track athletes) have got away with it.

For example, Manzano said he saw a "famous footballer" when he was at Fuentes' suite.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #857
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
More than a few - in this case we're talking 200 top athletes alone, and only a bit over 50 have been identified. The rest (mostly footballers, tennis players, and track athletes) have got away with it.

For example, Manzano said he saw a "famous footballer" when he was at Fuentes' suite.
On a related issue - I'm assuming these top athletes on Fuentes' client list are not all from Spain? So the 40-odd tennis players could be from a whole bunch of different countries??
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #858
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
this discussion is legitimate and appropriate, I can say that.

But it is known they are really all on their own out there, their world is as brutal and competitive as it gets
Obviously, but it's a class association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Except Gulbis and maybe few others, not many players very originally filthy rich. Fed comes from normal family afaik, Djokovic is from one the poorest countries in Europe and so on. Whatever money they made, they did it fair and square, so if they want a private jet, they can get a private jet. After all, having money doesn't guarantee you anything. If you want tennis back where it was 100 years ago, it's not going to happen
Fair and square? So a Swiss kid has the same initial condition as an African kid? Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I think those expensive tratments are a similar moral issue as doping. Unlike doping, they aren't a health risk. But they favour the ones who have much money and, like doping, they make the sport more about fitness and less about your playing skills.

But there's a big problem when it comes to controlling the use of the egg. You can't control it like the use of doping. So it wouldn't make sense to ban the egg when you coudln't follow if somebody uses it.
We all know it has nothing to do with eggs, but with multi-million dollar treatments and medical staffs.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #859
country flag GugaF1

GugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond reputeGugaF1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel View Post
This is an interesting thread but hopefully there can less fanboys of EVERY player coming in here to try and denigrate other players or fans of other players.

Put simply: the idea that any player, however talented, could compete with other talented players that are doping is absurd. It doesn't matter how good you are, you will not be able to defeat top players that have ostensibly made superhuman (in some aspects) of the game or their fitness. Various PEDs do different things and they will not turn a player ranked #1500 into #1 but they would certainly be able to improve a player ranked, say, 10-15 in a top 6-8 player. And so on. So really if you're coming in here and trying to insult your least favourite player in the top 4 (and you're a fan of another top 4 player) then you should think long and hard about the implications of what you're saying.

Realistically either a huge majority of tennis players are on something - of varying quality, of course - or it's restricted to the very top players who via cult of personality can get away with it by way of being too valuable to the sport. Or no players are doping but that seems pretty unlikely given how lax the testing is in our sport.
This is a very sensible post. Is idiotic for one to think that your chosen top 5 hero is totally clean while another top 5 is doping to the gills. Logic would suggest otherwise, the skills of the whole top 50 are already pretty damn close, when you get to the top 10 the differences are even slimmer, to think that one player would be able to overcome another close in skill just with talent alone when they are already closely matched day in and day out is highly unlikely.

If this is the case, there is likely an ometra going on. Look at how all the top players respond similarly to the doping topic. Imagine you are a clean player looking at the lacking Tennis doping regulation, wouldn't you be all over questioning things and taking it to the to the sports regulators? Not accusing people, but just questioning in an candid way. The only time top players talk about doping is when the media directly ask them about it and at most they will do a PR exercise and go yeah, I guess we could be more tested for blood.
GugaF1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #860
country flag Myrre

Myrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond reputeMyrre has a reputation beyond repute

The more physical the sport becomes (Slams 5-6 hour matches etc.) the more you gain from doping. Taylor Hamilton also says this in his book. He believed it was possible to compete (clean) against the dopers in short races, but in longer races there was just no chance.
Myrre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #861
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Fair and square? So a Swiss kid has the same initial condition as an African kid? Please...
Get over yourself What about wintersports? Swiss has huge advantage over Southern Europe, Southern America and Africa, how do we solve that? We are not talking about education, healthcare or other basic human rights here. If tennis is not accessible in some countries, they can always try some other sport.
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #862

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
On a related issue - I'm assuming these top athletes on Fuentes' client list are not all from Spain? So the 40-odd tennis players could be from a whole bunch of different countries??
Must be. A lot of foreigners train or are based in Europe anyway, and there aren't enough top Spanish players to make up that number.

The footballers seem to be largely at Spanish clubs though. One Fuentes interview with Le Monde:

"I worked with Spanish first and second division clubs ... I worked with several at the same time, sometimes directly with the players, sometimes by sharing my knowledge with clubs' doctors. I also had an offer from an Italian club but I turned it down."

He wouldn't give details though, said he'd had death threats.

About 10 years back he was the head doctor for the Las Palmas club. After one match a crapload of EPO syringes were found in their dressing room :-)

This being Spain, nothing at all happened, to him, the club, or the players.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #863

Odesnik listed in the Tony Bosch dope notebooks, _after_ his ban expired:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti..._cr.php?page=3

Makes sense, he knows there's no chance the testing can catch him. Just needs to be more careful packing his suitcase.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #864
country flag Just like heaven

Just like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond reputeJust like heaven has a reputation beyond repute

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...039948004.html
Just like heaven is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #865
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Except Gulbis and maybe few others, not many players very originally filthy rich. Fed comes from normal family afaik, Djokovic is from one the poorest countries in Europe and so on. Whatever money they made, they did it fair and square, so if they want a private jet, they can get a private jet. After all, having money doesn't guarantee you anything. If you want tennis back where it was 100 years ago, it's not going to happen
Djokovic came from a wealthy family in Serbia though?

In fact, most professional tennis players, unless they happen to be the children of tennis coaches, have to have wealthy parents to get in the game at such a young age. The Williams sisters are more of an exception i think.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #866
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Djokovic came from a wealthy family in Serbia though?

In fact, most professional tennis players, unless they happen to be the children of tennis coaches, have to have wealthy parents to get in the game at such a young age. The Williams sisters are more of an exception i think.
Yeah this.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #867
country flag MuzzahLovah

MuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond reputeMuzzahLovah has a reputation beyond repute

Anyways, I'm not sure tennis has any interest in exposing top players, especially great champions. Who watches cycling without Lance Armstrong? No one. For tennis to lose a couple of the big names at the top would be a huge blow- the whole organization of tournaments etc is to benefit the top seeds.

Emperor Nishikori- King of Comeback- Slayer of Demons- Champion of Tokyo- Conquistador of Barcelona
MuzzahLovah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #868
country flag lemon99

lemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond reputelemon99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzahLovah View Post
Anyways, I'm not sure tennis has any interest in exposing top players, especially great champions. Who watches cycling without Lance Armstrong? No one. For tennis to lose a couple of the big names at the top would be a huge blow- the whole organization of tournaments etc is to benefit the top seeds.
Exactly - and this is why I'm sure there'll never be any doping scandal involving a top player in tennis ... The powers-that-be will make sure all evidence is conveniently swept under the carpet and they'll reach a compromise with the player ( silent doping ban etc...)
They're focused on keeping the sport profitable, not clean...
lemon99 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #869
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

The whole "came from a poor family" bullshit is pretty hilarious. No modest family could afford paying for their children's training constantly for couple of years considering the prices of hiring a coach or a tennis court rent.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #870
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Get over yourself What about wintersports? Swiss has huge advantage over Southern Europe, Southern America and Africa, how do we solve that? We are not talking about education, healthcare or other basic human rights here. If tennis is not accessible in some countries, they can always try some other sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNero View Post
The whole "came from a poor family" bullshit is pretty hilarious. No modest family could afford paying for their children's training constantly for couple of years considering the prices of hiring a coach or a tennis court rent.
Agreed.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote