**** Coins **** - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: **** Coins ****

ssin can u tell me about the Differences between the Greeks and the Roman coins? If there is a difference or one imitates the other?
things were created to be used.
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"יברכך ה' וישמרך,יאר ה' פניו אליך ויחונך,ישא ה' פניו אליך וישם לך שלום"
Punky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky View Post
ssin can u tell me about the Differences between the Greeks and the Roman coins? If there is a difference or one imitates the other?

Although Romans took a huge chunk of Greek culture and just adopted it as theirs, some more material things such as money were different. The coins weighed and looked differently, they had different monetary systems, however there was one notable common thing : the gold:silver ratio which was about 1:16 and it was very long the case everywhere, I think it stayed the same until people started digging silver in large quantities during industrial revolution in 19th century, so the ratio today is 1:60, meaning that silver significantly devalued in modern times in comparison with gold, with only recent slight corrections. The basic unit in Rome was AS, made of copper. 4 of them was 1 sestertius, 4 sestertii were one silver denarius, and 25 silver denari used to be one golden aureus, 7-8gr of gold...in later phases they had a huge inflation...

Otherwise, the coins were very different, Rome was Kingdom, then Republic and then for a long time an Empire and it is clearly reflected in coins. Roman coins are very good documents because Romans often celebrated contemporary events on their coins. Take this one for example:

It's a very nice (and surely expensive) sestertius of Roman emperor Vespasian with inscription "IUDEA CAPTA" on reverse.

"To celebrate the Roman conquest of Jerusalem, numerous "Judea Capta" coins in bronze, silver, and gold were minted. The Judea Capta coin testifies to the great importance the Romans attached to quelling the revolt in Judea and capturing Jerusalem. This image was designed and circulated to send a message of Judea's defeated revolt to all the provinces of the Roman Empire and served as constant reminder of the fate of rebellious provinces."

http://www.cojs.org/jh.php?content=c..._coin&id=Roman

You can see how much history can be read from one coin. And to think that this small piece of metal saw all that, was used by both the Roman conquerors and your forefathers, exchanged hands, and stayed preserved for almost 2000 years, and that Romans are long gone now but Jews are still there, all that is amazing, isn't it.

The Jewish date palms on this coin were extinguished by I read somewhere that Israeli researches found some ancient seed, managed to recreate it and made it grew into the original Jewish palm!
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

1 speciedaler Denmark 1572

Norway and Denmark were in a union from 1389 to 1814. All that time, Danish kings were also kings of Norway. And for much of the period, coins were only made in Denmark. That changed in 1628. This coin, as you can see, is older than that. So it might just as easily have been used in Norway as in Denmark. It is special for being the only portrait coin of Fredrik II, who ruled from 1559 to 1588. And Fredrik II is the founder of the city I live in, Fredrikstad (founded 1566).

The coin is just over 4 cm in diameter, consists of silver and weighs a bit over 29 grams. This makes it a large coin indeed. A normal 1€ coin weighs 7,5 grams.

Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

this is a wonderfully preserved thaler!

It has a normal weight for its type, a great specimen indeed. Unless it was produced in great numbers it must worth a lot in that state.

Have you noticed the double strike it has on obverse? It makes it even more interesting imo..

What is the earliest date you have on a coin?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

1 Thaler Eszterhazy 1770

This coin is very special to me. As a young girl, my (Norwegian) mother went to Austria to study. At the university she befriended an elder man, who became her mentor. After knowing him for a while, he visited her lodgings - she lived with an Austrian family. Imagine her surprise when her landlady curtsied herself almost to the floor. It became apparent that her friend was part of an old and very noble family - the family of Eszterhazy. He was to be the final one. Under the Holy Roman Empire, which consisted of most of present-day Austria, Hungary, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia and big parts of France, Italy, Poland and Romania, local rulers and important families often had minting rights of their own and could make coins it they wanted to. The Eszterhazy family had the right for hundreds of years but only used it once, in 1770, when they made three types of coin in very limited numbers (my coin was made in 406 exemplars).

My mother has always taken an interest in my coin collecting, which started already before I was a teenager. When I learnt of this coins existence I felt I had to buy it to show her. But it proved difficult to find, and to my infinite regret, I did not manage in time. I only aquired the coin the year after she died. By then I wanted it as a memento of her, and so tried to get a coin with as little wear and damage as possible. I succeeded in getting what must surely be one of the best ones still in existence.

This coin has almost the same size as the Danish one, weighing ca. 28 grams. Also made in fine silver.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssin View Post
this is a wonderfully preserved thaler!

It has a normal weight for its type, a great specimen indeed. Unless it was produced in great numbers it must worth a lot in that state.

Have you noticed the double strike it has on obverse? It makes it even more interesting imo..

What is the earliest date you have on a coin?
Thanks! It is a nice one indeed, but not very rare. Worth quite a bit less than your coin in post #1. And yes, I noticed the double strike, it is visible even when handheld. I do not specifically try to get double strikes but I don't mind them either.

My oldest dated coin is 1 stuiver 1474 from Groningen, with date given in roman numerals. My oldest with arabic numbers is a double vuurijzer 1500 from Brabant. Neither of these two are much to look at so I won't give pictures of them. But the dates are visible.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
country flag ssin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
1 Thaler Eszterhazy 1770

This coin is very special to me. As a young girl, my (Norwegian) mother went to Austria to study. At the university she befriended an elder man, who became her mentor. After knowing him for a while, he visited her lodgings - she lived with an Austrian family. Imagine her surprise when her landlady curtsied herself almost to the floor. It became apparent that her friend was part of an old and very noble family - the family of Esterhazy. He was to be the final one. Under the Holy Roman Empire, which consisted of most of present-day Austria, Hungary, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia and big parts of France, Italy, Poland and Romania, local rulers and important families often had minting rights of their own and could make coins it they wanted to. The Eszterhazy family had the right for hundreds of years but only used it once, in 1770, when they made three types of coin in very limited numbers (my coin was made in 406 exemplars).

My mother has always taken an interest in my coin collecting, which started already before I was a teenager. When I learnt of this coins existence I felt I had to buy it to show her. But it proved difficult to find, and to my infinite regret, I did not manage in time. I only aquired the coin the year after she died. By then I wanted it as a memento of her, and so tried to get a coin with as little wear and damage as possible. I succeeded in getting what must surely be one of the best ones still in existence.

This coin has almost the same size as the Danish one, weighing ca. 28 grams. Also made in fine silver.

what a great, great story and great coin

May I ask how much did you pay for that beauty? I hope you don't mind
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
country flag Punky

Punky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond reputePunky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You can see how much history can be read from one coin. And to think that this small piece of metal saw all that, was used by both the Roman conquerors and your forefathers, exchanged hands, and stayed preserved for almost 2000 years, and that Romans are long gone now but Jews are still there, all that is amazing, isn't it.
The Jewish date palms on this coin were extinguished by I read somewhere that Israeli researches found some ancient seed, managed to recreate it and made it grew into the original Jewish palm!
yep we know who always last

i didnt know that about the coins, never gave it a second thought, now i see every coin has a long and Fascinating story behind it
The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
what a great, great story and great coin

May I ask how much did you pay for that beauty? I hope you don't mind
Thank you. I don't mind. I paid €2300 + 15% to F.W. Künker. Normally my budget do not allow for such extravagances, but as I said, it was a special case.

Btw, A little thing I forgot to add, the coin has writing on the edge from the minting process. That is why is looks like there might be small edge deficiencies. In reality it's almost as good as new.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
country flag ssin

Quote:
Thank you. I don't mind. I paid €2300 + 15% to F.W. Künker. Normally my budget do not allow for such extravagances, but as I said, it was a special case.

Btw, A little thing I forgot to add, the coin has writing on the edge from the minting process. That is why is looks like there might be small edge deficiencies. In reality it's almost as good as new.
It is very special to you and that is its greatest value for sure.

But I would say that you got a great deal anyway. It is exceptionally beautiful, with a very high grade. For such coins it is always more difficult to determine market price.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #26
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
It is very special to you and that is its greatest value for sure.

But I would say that you got a great deal anyway. It is exceptionally beautiful, with a very high grade. For such coins it is always more difficult to determine market price.
Certainly. I am not going to sell this coin no matter what happens, so the value other collectors put on it is really not that interesting. Still, if I saw another for sale I would definitely make a note of what was paid for it. I haven't though, in the almost four years that have gone since I bought mine. But there might have been transactions I missed, I do not follow the market all that closely.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
country flag ssin

Quote:
Certainly. I am not going to sell this coin no matter what happens, so the value other collectors put on it is really not that interesting. Still, if I saw another for sale I would definitely make a note of what was paid for it. I haven't though, in the almost four years that have gone since I bought mine. But there might have been transactions I missed, I do not follow the market all that closely.
I have a coin that my late father gave to me, the only one that no money can buy.

Please post more when you have time! Even some ordinary coins can also be very attractive

EDIT: ok, so this has escaped me : "I have the 9 cavalli. That is my only 9 given in arabic numbers. I also have a 12 florins 9 sols from Geneva, but that one again is written XII and IX. The 30 kopeks/2 zlote I do not have. I don't have any of the Russian/Polish double denominations. Have been looking for those, actually."

I will make photos of some cool coins you might like when I have time, and you can consider the 30 kopeks/2 zlote yours, I'm giving it to you. You will like it I think, its a very nice coin. PM your mailing address.

Last edited by ssin : 02-01-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

6 1/4 Stuiver 1672 Groningen

I thought I'd show off a couple of the best coins from my different denominations collection. This is an oddity in more ways than one, square coins have never been common. The reason for why Groningen elected to use this unusual shape was, in fact, a siege. The city of Groningen was besieged by the Bishop of Münster (Bishops were seldom peaceful characteres back then, and often sported own armies) and so unable to access the mint where coins were normally made. The need for coins forced them to make some simpler ones. This coin is unifaced. The odd denomination comes from starting off with a "50" and a "25" and then halving and halving again. The siege was ultimately unsuccessful, and the siege coins were only made the one year, 1672.

The coin is quite small, weighing 3,5 grams. Made in silver.

Last edited by Litotes : 02-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

27 Schilling 6 Pfenning 1568 Lübeck (also 1 Thaler)

This coin has an extraordinaly denomination indeed. At the time one schilling was worth 12 pfennings, so it can also be interpreted as 27½. The reason was a monetary union between different german states. They basically agreed they would issue silver coins of similar size, using the size of the thaler as a starting point. But they kept their own, previous, denominations. So then it was only a case of dividing the size of the new coin with the size of the old unit and use the appropriate new number. As you can see in the middle of the second picture, this meant 27.6 for Lübeck. Only a couple of years later this changed to 32 making the minting period of the 27.6 coin 1568-71 and so not the most easy one to find.

This is also the oldest big silver coin in my collection, size being about the same as the 1572 coin shown earlier.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
country flag Punky

not sure i understand, the reason square coins have never been common is bc of a siege? why? it looks special