Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..." - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #31
country flag Alex999
Registered User
 
Alex999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 9,530
Alex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond reputeAlex999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Today's depth is appalling.
yeah, teach us some more. I'm thirsty for your tennis 'knowledge'. please share more wisdom with us. we need to grow and learn from a genius like you

well, we all got blessed with a new troll, Fishnet (it might be one of posters who already got banned ... ah prox! servers are great). don't think he'll last too long and God help us all.
Alex999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #32
country flag Fishnet
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 263
Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post
yeah, teach us some more. I'm thirsty for your tennis 'knowledge'. please share more wisdom with us. we need to grow and learn from a genius like you

well, we all got blessed with a new troll, Fishnet (it might be one of posters who already got banned ... ah prox! servers are great). don't think he'll last too long and God help us all.
You call me a troll but you're the one with a drawing of your favourite player.
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #33
country flag BauerAlmeida
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 22
Posts: 4,130
BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuselino View Post
Well, at least in the weak first half of 2000s the second fidle like Safin, Hewitt, Roddick and Ferrero actually won slams and were world number one, unlike today's second fiddle of Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych (just a joke, don't worry!)

Safin, Roddick, Hewitt and Ferrero weren't "seoond fidle". They were pretty much the best players around with Federer. Ferrer, Tsonga and Berdych are a step below the best ones (Fedalovic).
__________________
Campeón de América 2014
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #34
country flag janko05
Registered User
 
janko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,116
janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

I smell something bad. Fishnet?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by: Toni Nadal
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #35
country flag Looner
Registered User
 
Looner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12,109
Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko05 View Post
I smell something bad. Fishnet?
Bad egg?
__________________

The "Who plays tennis?" thread


On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #36
country flag Abel
Registered User
 
Abel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,939
Abel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond reputeAbel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Bad egg?
Abel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #37
country flag Mountaindewslave
Registered User
 
Mountaindewslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,154
Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Too bad his slams aren't worth half of Edberg's and Becker's.
this. and that's some bullshit in the interview about the game being tougher and players training so much harder to face, harder to win tournaments now than before. it's way easier.

for fun since Hipolymer has decided to bring up the era debate, let's make an interesting note. HOW MANY dangerous players do you seem in draws these days? I'll give you an answer. hardly any! no confidence, no big hitting etc.

it's not that there weren't great players for Fed Ex to face in the mid 2000s, it's that he was just THAT good. I mean think about it! just off the top of my head, players who had brilliant form and were threats on/off a the time, Hewitt, Blake, Gonzales, Davydenko, Soderling, Nalbandian, Roddick etc. they were QUITE good enough to beat Federer, but they were all considered threats, people you watched in the draw.

today all there are players like Tsonga and Berdych who are expected to choke everything away. the reality is the tour is weaker than even during Federer's prime, the top 4 are great players but no better than say other top 4's in the 80s and 90s. they just have lucked out because of the lack of depth and confidence and threats throughout the top 100.

just as an example, Djokovic has matched Becker's slam count and likely will exceed it, but does anyone REALLY think that Novak is a better play than Boris was?
certainly the adjusting of surfaces and weak tour has helped make the top 4 guys look better than they would be if playing in a stronger era. I say this even about Nadal. Federer is the exception, and for the sake of argument I will once again emphasize the fact that he was SO good in his prime and dominated so much that it made the tour appear weaker than it was. the reality is in 2005/6/7 there were a lot more threats around than there are now. less because of how great the top guys are as much as how bad the field is.
__________________
<3 Roger Federer <3 David Ferrer <3 Juan Martin Del Potro <3 Ernest Gulbis <3

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #38
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 12,112
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
it's not that there weren't great players for Fed Ex to face in the mid 2000s, it's that he was just THAT good. I mean think about it! just off the top of my head, players who had brilliant form and were threats on/off a the time, Hewitt, Blake, Gonzales, Davydenko, Soderling, Nalbandian, Roddick etc. they were QUITE good enough to beat Federer, but they were all considered threats, people you watched in the draw.


Except for Roddick, Djokovic was beating all those players since he was 19 or 20 yrs old. Btw, I don't remember you complaining when Nadal won his only USO getting bye all the way to the finals
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #39
country flag Ichiban1920
Registered User
 
Ichiban1920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Age: 30
Posts: 757
Ichiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Fakervic is a garbage player, by far the most boring #1 player to ever play the game, even more boring than the likes of Nadull the King Moonballer.

Any flams Fakervic wins doesn't mean anything to me.
Ichiban1920 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #40
country flag Han Solo
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 38
Posts: 1,781
Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
this. and that's some bullshit in the interview about the game being tougher and players training so much harder to face, harder to win tournaments now than before. it's way easier.

for fun since Hipolymer has decided to bring up the era debate, let's make an interesting note. HOW MANY dangerous players do you seem in draws these days? I'll give you an answer. hardly any! no confidence, no big hitting etc.

it's not that there weren't great players for Fed Ex to face in the mid 2000s, it's that he was just THAT good. I mean think about it! just off the top of my head, players who had brilliant form and were threats on/off a the time, Hewitt, Blake, Gonzales, Davydenko, Soderling, Nalbandian, Roddick etc. they were QUITE good enough to beat Federer, but they were all considered threats, people you watched in the draw.

today all there are players like Tsonga and Berdych who are expected to choke everything away. the reality is the tour is weaker than even during Federer's prime, the top 4 are great players but no better than say other top 4's in the 80s and 90s. they just have lucked out because of the lack of depth and confidence and threats throughout the top 100.

just as an example, Djokovic has matched Becker's slam count and likely will exceed it, but does anyone REALLY think that Novak is a better play than Boris was?
certainly the adjusting of surfaces and weak tour has helped make the top 4 guys look better than they would be if playing in a stronger era. I say this even about Nadal. Federer is the exception, and for the sake of argument I will once again emphasize the fact that he was SO good in his prime and dominated so much that it made the tour appear weaker than it was. the reality is in 2005/6/7 there were a lot more threats around than there are now. less because of how great the top guys are as much as how bad the field is.
No - not really much; nor better than Edberg.

I do think you're being unfair to what Djokovic said. Sport is constantly evolving, fitness improving, technique being honed, equipment, training, coaching, etc. So I think the standard in tennis has improved. A large part of this, of course, is the next great player(s) raising the bar, and those following having to do that bit better to match them. So Djokovic, for instance, has had to match the likes of Federer in order to succeed. Similarly, though, Lendl (for example) had to match the likes of Borg and McEnroe in order to succeed.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #41
country flag Mountaindewslave
Registered User
 
Mountaindewslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,154
Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post


Except for Roddick, Djokovic was beating all those players since he was 19 or 20 yrs old. Btw, I don't remember you complaining when Nadal won his only USO getting bye all the way to the finals
I'm not saying that Djokovic can't beat them, what I'm saying is that Roger Federer is constantly criticized as played against weak fields and players who sucked, when there were indeed some great ballstrikers in their primes in his generation.
not taking all the credit from Novak, obviously he is a good player. but Nadal, Novak, Murray have all been very fortunate that the tour blows so much over the last few seasons. there only great opponents are each other so that in itself certainly kills any attempt to argue that the tour has great depth of talent.
once again, Djokovic will obviously surprass Boris's achievements, but do you think he is a better player? that in itself says something about how 'great' this era is
and indeed you are right, Nadal lucked out insanely that US Open draw, but to be fair he was serving VERY VERY big, bigger than he ever has in his career, and played a very great slow-medium hard courter in the final ( who had 'contact lense' problems )

I just have to laugh when people claim currently it's some 'golden era'. sure there are like 3 great players. but the rest of the tour blows. and this counts for Nadal too, he obviously would have achieved less in other time periods just because of tougher opponents ranked throughout the top 100 as well as the obvious surface speed differences
__________________
<3 Roger Federer <3 David Ferrer <3 Juan Martin Del Potro <3 Ernest Gulbis <3

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #42
country flag Serverer
Registered User
 
Serverer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,894
Serverer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Bad egg?
Serverer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #43
country flag janko05
Registered User
 
janko05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,116
janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Bad egg?
eggcellent deduction skills and without false exaggeration you sir, are an egghead
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by: Toni Nadal
Rafael has won more titles than Novak Djokovic, but speaking merely about tennis and about the game, Rafa has to be considered slightly lower than Djokovic. The Serb is such a good player that he is as close as you can get to Roger Federer
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #44
country flag Mountaindewslave
Registered User
 
Mountaindewslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,154
Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
No - not really much; nor better than Edberg.

I do think you're being unfair to what Djokovic said. Sport is constantly evolving, fitness improving, technique being honed, equipment, training, coaching, etc. So I think the standard in tennis has improved. A large part of this, of course, is the next great player(s) raising the bar, and those following having to do that bit better to match them. So Djokovic, for instance, has had to match the likes of Federer in order to succeed. Similarly, though, Lendl (for example) had to match the likes of Borg and McEnroe in order to succeed.
Djokovic, Murray, etc didn't have to match anything to succeed. the courts got slower. Federer go older.

I would include Nadal but he is dominant mainly on clay which has always been the same.
it's balogney that players are getting so much more insanely fit and train so much harder now than before. certainly you expect athletes to improve OVER TIME, but this is more because of new information on how the be healthier, train better, etc. the power of information.
just like all the nonsense about how much more skilled tennis players are now than in the past. they're not. technology is just much improved, raquets make it easier
__________________
<3 Roger Federer <3 David Ferrer <3 Juan Martin Del Potro <3 Ernest Gulbis <3

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #45
country flag Time Violation
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 35
Posts: 12,112
Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic: "The same Slams as Edberg and Becker? I got shivers..."

Gimme a break, so it blows now, but it was strong when Ljubicic was #3? As someone recently said, he was a great player, except he couldn't play well in slams Imagine some of the present juniors wins Wimbledon next year (like Becker did in his time), you can bet everyone would use that to say how this era is p*** poor.
__________________
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios