Who will win the 2013 Davis Cup and Draw Dicussion Thread - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Davis Cup?

Spain 7 16.28%
USA 3 6.98%
Argentina 11 25.58%
France 5 11.63%
Czech Republic 1 2.33%
Serbia 6 13.95%
Germany 0 0%
Switzerland 6 13.95%
Canada 2 4.65%
Others 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #106
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who will win the 2013 Davis Cup and Draw Dicussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
yes I could say that, but rather because Spain and Argentina may lose this week-end, and Fed doesn't play for Switzerland (a big mistake he will probably regret for long).
Roger can't win the DC alone, and Wawrinka's performances in DC have been mixed, to put it mildly. His great match in Melbourne should not be taken as a reference.

Quote:
If France is the lucky team this year as Czech Republic was last year, I can already foresee the French media praising Clément whereas it would only be that they had the luck this year and not previous years
As always, you can only beat the team on the other side . Of course there is some luck involved, with playing at home, chosing the surface, and having your best guys aavailable, but Forget had his chance in Belgrade and he messed it up.

As for a Spanish first round defeat, I only believe it when I see it. Agentina is a more likely candidate for a loss, if the Germans can get it together which looks well possible on paper, but still has to be done in reality.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #107
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
As always, you can only beat the team on the other side . Of course there is some luck involved, with playing at home, chosing the surface, and having your best guys aavailable, but Forget had his chance in Belgrade and he messed it up.
injured or absent players ... Davis cup is so much about opportunities rather than "level logic"

Forget made one mistake in Belgrade, yes : not letting Simon play the final match ... one can say it's a big one, but well

If France can take benefit of Argentina being out (they would have to play in Argentina, Del Po's decision may have an unbelievable impact this year, it was a great chance for Argentina even more than for Switzerland), they would receive Germany, Czech Republic, and Serbia or Spain.

At home, they would surely have a big chance to defeat those teams.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #108
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

In Tennis Alternative's interview of the Polish team, the Poles say that they were forbidden by the ITF to play on Taraflex.

The French played against Spain in 2010 on Taraflex, but I haven't heard of any other tie played on that surface (the usual version of "carpet" in the last decade) since then.

Does anybody know if the ITF's Taraflex ban is for all countries now or only for countries who never use it, even in futures ?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #109
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In Tennis Alternative's interview of the Polish team, the Poles say that they were forbidden by the ITF to play on Taraflex.

The French played against Spain in 2010 on Taraflex, but I haven't heard of any other tie played on that surface (the usual version of "carpet" in the last decade) since then.

Does anybody know if the ITF's Taraflex ban is for all countries now or only for countries who never use it, even in futures ?
Check DC rules pages 24-25.

For all Ties in the World Group and Zonal Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a GS Tournament or in a minimum of three tournaments in men's pro tour held in the year previous to the tie.

And pro tour event must have a prize money of $350,000, meaning it's an ATP World Tour event, not a Challenger.

So, allowed surfaces in World Group and Group I are hardcourt, clay, and grass, but not carpet. And, Taraflex is classified as carpet. So that's probably the reason for not allowing the use of it. Which really sucks.

Btw, in Group II, Poland seems to have used carpet a lot. (Click Team Win/Loss)

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #110
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"For all Ties in the World Group and Zonal Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a Grand Slam Tournament or in a minimum of three Tournaments in the Men’s Professional Tour held in the year previous to the Tie. "

Not sure if challengers count, there were four last year on carpet.
EDIT: just saw someone posted above the prizemoney limit, so that's why.

There's some DC subclause about the underlayers for carpet, maybe they breached that.

Taraflex is also still a certified ITF surface, but the only difference with Davis Cup is they have a speed limit. An especially quick version of Taraflex would breach that, but a normal one would be fine (perhaps the Poles wanted to use superfast?). For perspective, the DC limit is way faster than any current ATP event, even quicker than Bercy 2010.

The Croats got spanked 5 years back for breaking the court pace limit - I've got the friction measurements somewhere, was like a 90s indoors court :-)
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #111
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Check DC rules pages 24-25.

For all Ties in the World Group and Zonal Group I the court surface must be of a type used in a GS Tournament or in a minimum of three tournaments in men's pro tour held in the year previous to the tie.

And pro tour event must have a prize money of $350,000, meaning it's an ATP World Tour event, not a Challenger.

So, allowed surfaces in World Group and Group I are hardcourt, clay, and grass, but not carpet. And, Taraflex is classified as carpet. So that's probably the reason for not allowing the use of it. Which really sucks.

Btw, in Group II, Poland seems to have used carpet a lot. (Click Team Win/Loss)
thank you, that probably explains why the USA and Czech Republic when receiving Spain could not use carpet as the French did, if this rule was already in use

in the old time, it was a matter of having enough tournaments played in the country on that surface.

I was so surprised when I saw that the surface the USA did receive Spain on, was not really fast The Spaniards had whined so much before the tie, maybe they got what they wanted then.

I remember the old DC ties played on wood
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #112
country flag Slasher1985
Rankings Master

Slasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond reputeSlasher1985 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with duong, Spain may lose this weekend. It's all on Nestor's back though, if Raonic's game is 100%.
Slasher1985 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #113
country flag dinkulpus
-_-

dinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond reputedinkulpus has a reputation beyond repute

france or serbia

Tennis Tipping 2014

Singles : 124 (Best 88) - QF Auckland, QF Houston
Doubles : 70 (Best 65) - Won Sao Paulo, SF Rome, SF Chennai, SF Buenos Aires, SF Queens (with stbanchile) SF Umag (with kr1s17an) Won : Cordeones CH (with Freak3yman84)

Finals CH

Singles : 3:3
Doubles : 10:6 (ATP 1:0)
dinkulpus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #114
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Shame Verdasco isn't playing. Can't imagine why he would want to avoid facing Raonic, with the same surface/balls as San Jose :-)
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #115
country flag duong

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophicalarf View Post
Shame Verdasco isn't playing. Can't imagine why he would want to avoid facing Raonic, with the same surface/balls as San Jose :-)
yes, and Verdasco will play San Jose and Memphis again this year (he will make the interesting change from Memphis's indoor hardcourt to Acapulco's clay in one week which few players did in the past, including himself)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #116
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

I would've expected Argentina's singles players would be Monaco and Nalby, but they are Monaco and Berlocq. Should it go to 2th rubber, I wonder if ARG substitutes Charly to Nalby.

Stan Wawrinka
2014 Australian Open Champion | 2014 Monte Carlo Masters Champion

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
2008 Paris Masters Champion | 2014 Toronto Masters Champion
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #117
country flag Vinceremo

Vinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond reputeVinceremo has a reputation beyond repute

Italy-Croatia could be a close tie with some exciting matches. If Fog manages to somehow beat Cilic, we should seal it by saturday with the boost of being up 2-0 (Seppi can't mess it up... or i hope). If logic applies and we go 1-1 to day 2, then it will be all about the doubles. Either way, i think it's a very close one with many possible scenarios playing out.

For Spain, Granollers better be peaking !
Vinceremo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #118
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised to see just one vote for Czech Republic in the poll until now (lidal)

I guess this is going to change now
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #119
country flag janko05

janko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond reputejanko05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Surprised to see just one vote for Czech Republic in the poll until now (lidal)

I guess this is going to change now
apparently not. the poll is closed
janko05 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #120
country flag Eden
# Support the Swiss

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, I haven't seen it
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote