The Federer Decline Thread - Page 98 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Pete?

No. I think Federer's decline is a fact and he's not winning any major in the future. 38 17.35%
I kinda agree... He's in a great moment, but the other 2 guys are too good. No more slams for Feddy 45 20.55%
I totally agree. Fed's still playing great tennis and he'll probably win another major 104 47.49%
Hello. I'm Rod Laver and my records are intact. Suck it losers. 32 14.61%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #1456
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Federer Decline Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Kaspar View Post
Frankly I don't care about Federer's relative decline. He has won everything there is several times over, Federer is the one player where another title wouldn't add much to his career. Further, Federer is a freak of nature, being persistently injury-free while maintaining in his early 30s a spot in the world's top 3 and being competitive with much younger players of the calibre of Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. Aesthetically his tennis remains unique anyway, there has not been a player who I have enjoyed watching so much since John McEnroe. I treasure every day Federer continues to be around.
Spot on. plus he loves playing for playings sake, loves testing himself against younger players at the top and enjoys travelling around the world. Doesnt have anything to prove, and only adds to his records with every match he plays it seems. so no reason to retire and long may it continue, especially for fans who like watching him play.
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #1457
country flag garad

garad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond reputegarad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_up_bomb View Post
If the court conditions were the same as in Dubai last year (ie. faster) Federer would still be world number one. Murray said so himself after Federer comfortably beat him in straight sets there last year. If you have a surface where the two best players in the world on that surface play, and there are 40 more UE than winners in a 4 set match, then it will be very difficult for anyone over the age of 30 to ever win that tournament, if not impossible.

If Murray and Djokovic can sit two yards behind the baseline trading backhands for twenty shots per rally and rarely miss then no-one will beat them. Rafa will have no chance with his knees. Del Potro and Berdych obviously need faster court conditions. Ferrer has no chance as we saw in the semi-final. Who else is going to conceivably beat them other than Federer? He's still clearly the number three player out there, and had he had Djokovic's draw, there's no doubt he would have been in the final. Perhaps if Djokovic had played a tough five setter with Murray and then faced Federer the outcome of the tournament could have been different.
Number 2 according to rankings
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #1458
country flag TheShowMustGoOn
Rafa

TheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond reputeTheShowMustGoOn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by garad View Post
Number 2 according to rankings
The rankings are wrong.
TheShowMustGoOn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #1459
country flag garad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestly View Post
Believe it not, Federer is peaking. He is older and wiser now but the competition has caught up.
Peaking? Just not true, sorry. He is just like any other tennis player regarding peak times, not a fanciful anomaly. Dont feed the Djokotards ridiculous argument that he is better now than ever...just wrong
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #1460
country flag garad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowMustGoOn View Post
The rankings are wrong.
No, rankings are what they are. They reflect performances in the last 52 weeks, and so far Fed has been performing better than Murray, across all surfaces.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #1461
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowMustGoOn View Post
The rankings are wrong.
And the Earth is flat...

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #1462
country flag OmnipotentMaster
Banned!

OmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond reputeOmnipotentMaster has a reputation beyond repute

If I was him I'd probably retire for my fans. He's embarrassing himself these days!
OmnipotentMaster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #1463
country flag duarte_a
Federer Fan & Dull Hater

duarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond reputeduarte_a has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmnipotentMaster View Post
If I was him I'd probably retire for my fans. He's embarrassing himself these days!
Yes reaching semi-finals of a slam is embarrassing only for Federer. That alone shows you what he has accomplished.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #1464
country flag EddieNero

EddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond reputeEddieNero has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
Yes reaching semi-finals of a slam is embarrassing only for Federer. That alone shows you what he has accomplished.
Quoted for truth. Federer lifted the expectations of himself to such a high level that it won't be probably matched by any other player in near future.
EddieNero is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #1465
country flag saviopr

saviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond reputesaviopr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
Perfect.
saviopr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #1466
country flag leng jai

leng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond reputeleng jai has a reputation beyond repute

To be a fair a portion of his fan base are probably embarrassed he hasn't won the last 10 slams in a row.

TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #1467
country flag Fishnet
Banned!

Fishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond reputeFishnet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
To be a fair a portion of his fan base are probably embarrassed he hasn't won the last 10 slams in a row.
Agreed.

I wonder how many have left the bandwagon...
Fishnet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #1468
country flag tripwires

tripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond reputetripwires has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, we're only talking about the real fans.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #1469
country flag Nole fan
The new era of SuperNovak

Nole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond reputeNole fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by garad View Post
Peaking? Just not true, sorry. He is just like any other tennis player regarding peak times, not a fanciful anomaly. Dont feed the Djokotards ridiculous argument that he is better now than ever...just wrong
Oops and I thought he was just peRFect.

Either you get him or you don't.

Novak Djokovic nº1!

The Golden Era of Novak: Australian Open * Dubai * Indian Wells * Miami * Belgrade * Madrid * Rome * Wimbledon * Montreal * US Open * Abu Dhabi * Australian Open * Miami * Toronto * China * Shanghai * World Tour Finals 2012 * Australian Open 2013 * Dubai * Montecarlo * Beijing * Shanghai * Paris * WTF * Indian Wells * Miami * Rome * WIMBLEDON 2014
Federer to Nole: "Amazing year. Amazing tournament. Amazing match. You are THE BEST!"
Nole fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #1470
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnet View Post
Agreed.

I wonder how many have left the bandwagon...
I'd argue a lot more have joined his fan base and the few that have left are idiots and real bandwagoners.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote