David Ferrer is the new World #4 ! - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #106
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: David Ferrer is the new World #4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
Yes. Berdych did beat Nole at Wimbledon, but apart from that he was a disaster most of the matches they played and was routined too. That's the only time he beat him.

Ferrer doesn't do much better, but he caused him some trouble in the past on clay. Wawrinka played a fantastic match, but he was routined too most of his matches against Nole. Actually few people outisde the top 4 won't be routined by Djokovic (Delpo, Tsonga and not much else really).

It's the current courts's fault we don't have upsets and we have the same guys in the SF each time. Even if the #4 was someone else, he'd be routined too probably. Berdych can upset Fed/Murray but gets ruotined by Djokovic/Nadal. Tsonga or Del Potro can cause an upset, but any guy outside the TOP 10 would be rotuined too (the other guys in the top 10 too)
I'm not saying other players can't be routined, they definitely can especially against Djokovic on a slow hardcourt. But there's not the same inevitability there is in Ferrer's case; even if Ferrer plays to the very best of his abilities he's not going to trouble Nole at all ever deep in a Slam when Nole is obviously focused and playing well. The same cannot be said about Berdych: he can reach heights with his game where he can take down Nole (see W 2010) and the other top players even though he will lose most of the time. Even if playing badly/off form, he always has a shot at taking a set by stringing a few games of huge serving and hitting as he did in AO this year despite being clearly outplayed.

That's the whole point: yes, we know Wawrinka folds meekly most of the times he faces a top player, but he also has a very high peak which adds at least some degree of uncertainty to the match. Is there any doubt that if Ferrer faces Djokovic/Federer at Roland Garros SF he will be easily blown off the court, is there any gear in his game he can reach to avoid this inevitable outcome? No. Speaking of Tipsarevic, remember his match with Nole at USO 2012, it was incredible before Tipsy got injured, a sort of resistance Ferrer will never be able to offer to the top 2 this year if he lives up to his seeding because he doesn't have the tools to do so even if he redlines his game.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #107
country flag Mountaindewslave

Mountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond reputeMountaindewslave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
He's a hard worker but let's get real: he's #4 because Nadal hasn't played in over half a year We also don't need to see him reaching the semis of a slam again because it's boring to watch him get stomped time and time again by Federer and Djokovic. I expect Murray to start extending his h2h lead too.
this. love Ferrer but Australian Open Semifinals show that he is not really worthhy of top 5. great guy, hard worker, but the magic just isn't there. and I'm a big fan

------------------------ <3 Richard Gasquet <3

Rafael Nadal
Mountaindewslave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #108
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

now Masters 1000's and RG/Wimby become exciting with Nadal as 5th seed
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #109
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
now Masters 1000's and RG/Wimby become exciting with Nadal as 5th seed
As long as they're Djoko-Nadal quarters
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #110
country flag Chase Visa

Chase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond reputeChase Visa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
As long as they're Djoko-Nadal quarters
I'd love to see that happen if only for MTF's reaction.
Chase Visa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #111
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

i'm expecting an even spread - some weeks Fed, some weeks Nole, some weeks Muzza

but if Fed and Muzza keep drawing him and never Nole i will seriously go nuts and be finished with tennis, i mean it this time

i'm already close to the end with the game right now.
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #112
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute

I dont mind Nadal being #5, its not as bad as you guys think.
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 52m
Aside from everything else, Petra Kvitova is also the first player in WTA history to successfully recover from Radek Stepanek... #Wimbledon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalusbrian View Post
Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 1h
Yes, Genie Bouchard is the next Maria Sharapova...in that she's being overwhelmed by Petra Kvitova in a #Wimbledon final. Up 6-3, 2-0.:
:
deestruction.tumblr.com
Naudio Spanlatine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #113
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lenders View Post

What frustrates people like the blogger I quoted is not that Ferrer will be routined by Novak/Federer in semis systematically, it's that there's no chance of anything else happening, he genuinely can't do any better so it's a foregone conclusion. Djokovic would have had a sterner challenge in the AO semis if you had picked a random top 50 player to play that match instead of Ferrer, odds are he'd have a big enough serve/strokes to get more games and that he could make it great and have a shot of winning if he played his best tennis ala Wawrinka...
Good thing rankings are based on points earned consistently rather than the probability of the player beating one of the top 4.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #114
country flag Lestat

Lestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond reputeLestat has a reputation beyond repute

the new raquet the vulturer will use to gain easy points in the SA season, go for it David!

Pusher Nation's Reign of Terror is coming to an end, their borders are conquered and we won't take any prisoners!
Get Ready King Mandy!

everytime Mandy wins, a little ballbasher kitty dies somewhere... Save kitties; support Ballbasher Nation
Lestat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #115
country flag Serverer
Banned!

Serverer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond reputeServerer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
i'm expecting an even spread - some weeks Fed, some weeks Nole, some weeks Muzza

but if Fed and Muzza keep drawing him and never Nole i will seriously go nuts and be finished with tennis, i mean it this time

i'm already close to the end with the game right now.
If Rafito is #5 at RG we can be sure they will rig it so he lands in Feds quarter.
Serverer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #116
country flag mark73

mark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond reputemark73 has a reputation beyond repute

If not for the top 4 Ferrer would be number one and win 1 or two slams a year. He's better than everyone else on slow hard courts and clay.

It just goes to show that there is a HUUUUUUUUUUGE gap between the top 4 and everyone else.
mark73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #117
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark73 View Post
If not for the top 4 Ferrer would be number one and win 1 or two slams a year. He's better than everyone else on slow hard courts and clay.

It just goes to show that there is a HUUUUUUUUUUGE gap between the top 4 and everyone else.
I know he's ranked 4 and that but I think Del Potro, Berdych and Tsonga would be the dominant guys if the top 4 weren't around, not him.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #118
country flag delboy

delboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I know..my paint skills are pretty impressive
delboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #119
country flag Mark Lenders

Mark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond reputeMark Lenders has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know he's ranked 4 and that but I think Del Potro, Berdych and Tsonga would be the dominant guys if the top 4 weren't around, not him.
Evidently. First and foremost, if the current top 4 weren't around, the courts/conditions would be sped up no doubt leading to Ferrer becoming a non factor. Ferrer's star power is 0, guys like Tsonga and Del Potro are infinitely more popular among tennis fans and neurals alile despite being ranked lower at the moment - in fact Del Potro's popularity is probably on the same league as the current top 4 (bar Federer of course) despite not winning a big title for more than 3 years, which is why there's this perceived 'hype' around him.

Besides the fact that the ATP would never allow even the slighest risk of someone like Ferrer being the face of the sport in any way, he doesn't have the mentality required to dominate anyway (or the game), so it's a moot point.
Mark Lenders is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #120
country flag delboy

delboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond reputedelboy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ferru would kick their asses like he does now. I know it is a crime on MTF that he has got where he is through hard work while lacking natural talent but he is still unquestionably a better player than those guys.
delboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote