What Murray needs to surpass Safin and Hewitt? - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #91
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond reputehomogenius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Murray needs to surpass Safin and Hewitt?

he's arguably ahead of Safin already.sill some things to achieve to join Hewitt (spending some time as #1 for example)
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #92
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Statistically he probably needs one more major win. He is ahead on most other stats:

(Murray/Hewitt/Safin)

Titles: 25/28/15
GS Titles: 1/2/2
Masters Titles: 8/2/5

Win-Loss: 75.8/72.1/61.2
GS Win-Loss: 79.1/72.5/71.4
Masters win-loss: 70.3/65.6/58.2
Top ten win-loss: 55.9/47.3/49.5

Non-statistically, he will probably never be able to say that at any point in his career he was at that time the best player in the world while Hewitt and Safin could say that.
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #93
country flag Ichiban1920

Ichiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond reputeIchiban1920 has a reputation beyond repute

Mugray is nothing more than a mug junk balling pusher.

All the Mugray fantards are too blind to see this.
Ichiban1920 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #94
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

Marat and Hewitt will both have over Murray something which, for me anyway, is greater than just results: they both came out of the blocks fast and won Majors. And they beat the big player of that era, Sampras who while might have been past his peak was still winning Wimbledons. Unfortunately for Murray he did not have the mentality to beat Federer in his first couple of Major finals and it took him until he was 25, by which time the careers of Safin and Hewitt were about to hit the downward spiral due to injuries and developments in the game passing them by. For me this means that Murray has to get 3 Majors and number one to beat Marat and he needs 3 Majors and to finish a couple of years number one to beat Hewitt in order to make up for his earlier mental weaknesses.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #95
country flag Moozza

Moozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond reputeMoozza has a reputation beyond repute

Murray will end his career easily greater than both of them put together.

MULTISLAMRAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

DISPUTABLE REAL NO.1

SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2013!!!!
Moozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #96
country flag ogbg

ogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond reputeogbg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
And they beat the big player of that era, Sampras who while might have been past his peak was still winning Wimbledons
They didn't beat him at Wimbledon and Murray had to beat Djokovic for his current major win.

Quote:
he needs 3 Majors and to finish a couple of years number one to beat Hewitt
Seriously? That's a pretty high benchmark you've set there. I don't see how he could even do that without getting 4 more majors.
ogbg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #97
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
I bet you anything that wont happen
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #98
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Murraytards saying he already surpassed them . Some people really started wathcing tennis last year. Hewitt was #1 two years in a row, won 2 slams and 2 TMC.

Safin beat peak Federer in a slam, Murray had to wait untill Federer was 30 to take a set and 31 to beat him. Only player to beat Peakerer in a non-clay slam and also demolished Sampras's in his backyard in a final, being 20 years old. Youngest player to reach #1. Something Murray never did. All of this having his career finished pretty much when he was 25 because of injuries (not to mention all of the injuries he suffered before that).
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #99
country flag fluffyyelloballz

fluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond reputefluffyyelloballz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbg View Post
They didn't beat him at Wimbledon and Murray had to beat Djokovic for his current major win.

Seriously? That's a pretty high benchmark you've set there. I don't see how he could even do that without getting 4 more majors.
I never said they beat Sampras at Wimbledon. The reason I said Sampras was Wimbledon Champion when Safin beat him in his first Major final appearance was to illustrate that Sampras was still a top player and a great fast court player at that time. When Murray faced Federer in the 2008 US Open final, Roger had won no Majors that year but Murray did not perform. Safin meanwhile took out Sampras in straights, Sampras's reputation and the occasion not inhibiting him. I correct myself about Hewitt as Sampras was not wimbledon champ when Hewitt beat him in the US Open final.

Regarding the beating Djokovic in the final. Djokovic is no Pete Sampras. He is a worthy opponent for sure, the worthiest at that time but let's not pretend that beating Novak in your fifth Major final in windy conditions that suit your game in five is anything like coming out in your first Major and beating Wimbledon Champion Pete Sampras in straights in his home Major.

As for the two year end number ones as a benchmark issue. This thread asks the question what does Murray need to surpass Safin and Hewitt? Hewitt has two Majors and two year end number ones. If Murray is going to better him, he needs two year end number ones and three Majors. If he has to get four Majors to get the two year end number ones then so be it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #100
country flag End da Game

End da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond reputeEnd da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyyelloballz View Post
I never said they beat Sampras at Wimbledon. The reason I said Sampras was Wimbledon Champion when Safin beat him in his first Major final appearance was to illustrate that Sampras was still a top player and a great fast court player at that time. When Murray faced Federer in the 2008 US Open final, Roger had won no Majors that year but Murray did not perform. Safin meanwhile took out Sampras in straights, Sampras's reputation and the occasion not inhibiting him. I correct myself about Hewitt as Sampras was not wimbledon champ when Hewitt beat him in the US Open final.

Regarding the beating Djokovic in the final. Djokovic is no Pete Sampras. He is a worthy opponent for sure, the worthiest at that time but let's not pretend that beating Novak in your fifth Major final in windy conditions that suit your game in five is anything like coming out in your first Major and beating Wimbledon Champion Pete Sampras in straights in his home Major.

As for the two year end number ones as a benchmark issue. This thread asks the question what does Murray need to surpass Safin and Hewitt? Hewitt has two Majors and two year end number ones. If Murray is going to better him, he needs two year end number ones and three Majors. If he has to get four Majors to get the two year end number ones then so be it.
^ this guy speaks the truth
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #101
country flag Boris Franz Ecker

Boris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond repute

Murray needs to surpass Roddick, than he has surely surpassed Safin.
Murray with 2nd grand slam title would have surpassed roddick.
Roddick surpassed Safin finally with longevity as it's written in the holy bible of tennis.

Hewitt is currently out of reach for murray.
he needs at least two more features.
Boris Franz Ecker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #102
country flag Kowchi

Kowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond reputeKowchi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moozza View Post
Agreed, most certainly. It's between Djokovic and Murray right now; don't see how Murray can't get at least 3 more slams

Why? Because I love tennis plain and simple

Lneders: One thing people need to understand about this so-called weak era is that it was 'weak' for Federer on HC and grass and for Nadal on clay (Federer on clay too Nadal apart) because they were so much better than anyone else, for any outsider the era couldn't possibly be any harder, during 5+ years you had to either beat the best grass/HC player ever or the best clay player ever in every single Slam just to get 1 Slam title.
Kowchi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #103
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Franz Ecker View Post
Roddick surpassed Safin finally with longevity as it's written in the holy bible of tennis.

Murray only needs number 1 to surpass Roddick but even without it he is better without question
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #104
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Franz Ecker View Post

Roddick, 1 slam thanks to the officials in the Semi Finals
Safin, 2 slams beating the 2 goats
BauerAlmeida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #105
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbg View Post
Statistically he probably needs one more major win. He is ahead on most other stats:

(Murray/Hewitt/Safin)

Titles: 25/28/15
GS Titles: 1/2/2
Masters Titles: 8/2/5

Win-Loss: 75.8/72.1/61.2
GS Win-Loss: 79.1/72.5/71.4
Masters win-loss: 70.3/65.6/58.2
Top ten win-loss: 55.9/47.3/49.5

Non-statistically, he will probably never be able to say that at any point in his career he was at that time the best player in the world while Hewitt and Safin could say that.

You keep saying the word "statistically", but you conveniently left out one of top two most important statistics to determine greatness: # of weeks at #1.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote