The 'no let-rule' trial at Challengers is (Won't continue on after next week) - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #31
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heilbronn Challenger 2013 - 'no let-rule'

The decision is of course about as moronic as it gets. I can't wait to see it in effect for sheer hilarity in some clay court matches. Instead it would be fascinating if someone in possession of active gray matter would see that the prime issue is the HORRENDOUS Trinity machine that calls lets because of the wind or just because there was some half-drunk tourist being mugged on some random street in Zimbabwe (aka for no fucking reason).
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #32
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

The net is a static part of the game. I.o.w an obstacle. If the ball lands on the other side you should be good.
Garson007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #33
country flag Li Ching Yuen

Li Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond reputeLi Ching Yuen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
The net is a static part of the game. I.o.w an obstacle. If the ball lands on the other side you should be good.
Is Philosophy your full-time job or is MTF just lucky enough to be the main terrain for your wisdom?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
country flag Garson007

Garson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond reputeGarson007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Ching Yuen View Post
Is Philosophy your full-time job or is MTF just lucky enough to be the main terrain for your wisdom?
Philosophy? Logic.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
country flag nellis_lv

nellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond reputenellis_lv has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
Philosophy? Logic.
nellis_lv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread about that rule with already a lot of talkings, it would be better to merge those threads,
because there will probably more and more reactions about that in next months.

Personally I'd rather think like Castle007 or Dencod ("bring back the net-person") but it seems that it's hard to make that rule a fully objective one.

Besides, yes, I think it's completely different from volley-ball : in volley-ball the ball goes less quickly and there are players just behind the net.

Overall, I think the "no-let rule" is more of an advantage for the receiver because points when the ball is slowed down are not played again. It can be the opposite, yes, but overall I think it's more of an advantage for the receiver.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
country flag tuek

tuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond reputetuek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Overall, I think the "no-let rule" is more of an advantage for the receiver because points when the ball is slowed down are not played again. It can be the opposite, yes, but overall I think it's more of an advantage for the receiver.
I agree with you. There was an instance of this in the Gulbis-PHM match here, which was very close and basically came down to a let-serve point at the end of the third set tiebreak. It was maybe 2-2 or 3-3, and PHM's first serve hit the net and dropped in, allowing Gulbis to get a way easier return than he would have done. Crowd was confused when Gulbis scrambled up to the ball like a madman to slam the return in the corner (it's actually surprising that Gulbis himself remembered to play the let ).

Gulbis had been serving unreturnable bombs all match long and was now in good position to take the tiebreak and win thanks to this new no-let rule. But of course, this being Gulbis, he found a way to mug it up even then and squandered his two service points.
tuek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond reputeCaesar1844 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
Not even close. Returning is all about rhythm. The net cord completely screws that up. Ask any receiver if they'd rather play or replay lets and they will tell you the latter.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
country flag Garson007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Not even close. Returning is all about rhythm. The net cord completely screws that up. Ask any receiver if they'd rather play or replay lets and they will tell you the latter.
Which is why underarm serves should be thrown in at opportunistic times.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #40
country flag nolesfan2011

nolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond reputenolesfan2011 has a reputation beyond repute

strongly dislike it... wasn't really worth the change and creates a whole set of scenarios that would be gamerish
Hewitt,Kohlschreiber, Dolgopolov, Stakhovsky, Nieminen, Verdasco, Melzer brothers,Baghdatis,Pospisil,Dodig,Cilic,Taro Daniel, Nishioka, Ebden, McGee,Mathieu, Benji Becker, Berankis,Bemelmans,Russell, Muller, Lacko,Zverev,Stebe, Smyczek, Alex Kuznetsov,Baker,Isner,Kudla, Sandgren,Johnson,Sweeting,Williams, Krajicek,Harrison Brothers,Bryan Brothers, Flemchins
Former fan of Fernando Gonzalez, Niemeyer, Dent,Niland, Luczak,Malisse,Kunitsyn, and Schuettler http://tenniseastcoast.com tennisviewmag.com @nolesfan2011 on twitter
nolesfan2011 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #41
country flag Farenhajt

Farenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond reputeFarenhajt has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly OK to get rid of the let rule. Volleyballers live quite nice with no let whatsoever, and besides, it isn't fair that let DOES cancel a good serve (compels you to repeat it), but DOESN'T cancel a fault (it still counts).
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #42
country flag SliceAce

SliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond reputeSliceAce has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious. They want to get rid of lets and make slams best of 3 but they made tennis a grindfest and don't touch the time delay tactics of Nadull and Fakervic. The backwards priorities are absurd, somebody must have gotten a big payoff for this idea to go through.
SliceAce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #43
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
imo very often the rule will allow to count serves which are just a little bit slown down without being really deviated, then I think it's better for the receiver.

Ps : I really think this thread should be merged, there should be one thread about that rule because there will necessarily be threads about that from time to time without any connection with Heilbronn.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #44
country flag latso

latso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond reputelatso has a reputation beyond repute

No advantage for anyone, just the same, except less time wasting, less machine mistakes, ergo less rants and useless waste of nerves.

Good riddance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauletekis View Post
there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.
no shit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B1S View Post
Both as long as they don't overlap, but when they do - it's world cup every time for me.
NID
latso is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #45
country flag TheFearlessOne

TheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond reputeTheFearlessOne has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the whole point of this is that the let-machine is unreliable sometimes, and with no more let-rule, they get rid of that problem.

IMHO it would make more sense to count it as a fault when the ball hits the net, no matter if it falls in the service box or not. That way, they would still speed up the game, but it wouldn't screw up the receivers rhythm so much. But that, of course, would require a more reliable let-call-machine.
TheFearlessOne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote