The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores) - Page 35 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #511
Dmitry Verdasco

Dmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond reputeDmitry Verdasco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Everything Davis Cup Thread (News, Articles, Live Scores)

Why isn't Guccione playing Burnie? Career high #67 should be trying to get his ranking up.

NADAL - TURSUNOV - BOLELLI - NALBANDIAN - MATOSEVIC
HINGIS - DEMENTIEVA - DOKIC - KOURNIKOVA - PIERCE - GOLOVIN - RADWANSKA - BENCIC - BARTHEL

Dmitry Verdasco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #512
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Verdasco View Post
Why isn't Guccione playing Burnie? Career high #67 should be trying to get his ranking up.
This time it will be in Taiwan. Chris - double's player.

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Ausie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #513
country flag Ausie

Ausie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond reputeAusie has a reputation beyond repute

Matt Ebden ‏@mattebden Just a day on and a trip up to Chinese Taipei & the team spent the day training here in Kaohsiung!! @daviscup. Time for some food.........

Lleyton Hewitt

Gael Monfils - Aleksandr Dolgopolov - Juan Martin Del Potro - Nick Kyrgios - Jason Kubler - Serhiy Stakhovsky - Gianni Mina - Martin Klizan - Benjamin Mitchell - Borna Coric - Francis Tiafoe - Noah Rubin
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #514
country flag Ausie

MARINKO Matosevic is determined to redeem himself in this week's Davis Cup tie against Taiwan, according to coach Josh Eagle.

Matosevic returns to the team for the Asia/Oceania Zone Group One clash after being dropped from the crucial tie against Germany last year.

He was suspended because of a poor attitude in a dead rubber against Korea earlier in the year in circumstances similar to those which saw captain Pat Rafter drop world No.43 Bernard Tomic from this week's tie.

Ahead of Australia's tie against Taiwan, starting on Friday, Eagle said Matosevic, now ranked 48, had been rattled after his suspension.

"He's got a lot to prove to himself and to Pat Rafter as captain after he was left out of the tie last year," Eagle said.

"It really shook him up a little bit when he was left out of the last one in Germany.

"This is a different sort of challenge, it's a team event."

Matosevic is expected to share the spotlight this time with Lleyton Hewitt as Australia's two singles players, with the team to be named later this week.

"We're certainly very likely to play him," Eagle said of Matosevic.

"Over the summer in Australia he didn't have very favourable draws but we're confident he can get the job done here."

Hewitt is set to play singles with Matosevic on the opening day then partner towering left-hander Chris Guccione in the doubles on Saturday.

Whether Hewitt is left to help shoulder the load again on the final day will depend on his fitness and the scoreline.

"At this stage we're certainly looking at Lleyton playing singles on the opening day and then definitely he and Guccione in the doubles," Eagle said.

"We'll then see where we're at on the final day - but Lleyton's our go-to man and we'll be relying on him heavily.''

While Australia is heavily favoured for the tie, Eagle said the Taiwanese players were capable of providing stiff opposition.

"Their two main players, Tsung-Hua Yang and Hsien-Yin Peng are both ranked around the 200 mark, but in these sort of ties we are not taking them lightly," he said.

"The courts here are very quick, a bit quicker than we thought and they play well on them up here.

"And in doubles they won a Challenger event in Maui a couple of days ago so their confidence is pretty high."

Eagle also said that Matt Ebden, who teamed with Jarmila Gajdosova to win the Australian Open mixed doubles title, could also potentially be a doubles player in Taiwan.

"We see him as an integral part of this team now and in the future - as a doubles option he has a lot to offer," Eagle said.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #515
country flag The_Aussie17
Banned!

The_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond repute

Hewitt and Matosevic should play the singles rubbers and then give Ebden and Guccione the doubles match.

Really think the team should be Hewitt, Tomic, Matosevic and Duckworth...
The_Aussie17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #516
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aussie17 View Post
Really think the team should be Hewitt, Tomic, Matosevic and Duckworth...
Who will play doubles match? Tomic in doubles play very bad, Matosevic and Duckworth ridiculous.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #517
country flag The_Aussie17
Banned!

The_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Aussie17 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausie View Post
Who will play doubles match? Tomic in doubles play very bad, Matosevic and Duckworth ridiculous.
It's tough, I'm caught between Marinko and Matty Ebden. If Ebden played then have him and Duckworth for doubles or Duckworth and Hewitt, Ducky is way better then Guccione in every way, Gooch is only in the team for his serve and plays half decent with Lleyton, give the up and comer a shot.
The_Aussie17 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #518
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Matosevic has had some ok results in doubles, did well in Sydney by making the semis or the final last year. Going to be interesting when Tomic gets back in the side who gets kicked out, going to be dependent on the next 2 months I think.
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #519
country flag Ausie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_fan View Post
Matosevic has had some ok results in doubles, did well in Sydney by making the semis or the final last year. Going to be interesting when Tomic gets back in the side who gets kicked out, going to be dependent on the next 2 months I think.
Guccione/Hewitt won Federer/Wawrinka, Becker/Petzschner, Becker/Stebe, Peya/Zimonjic. Matosevic or Tomic have such results? I see one option, it is Ebden / Hewitt. But Lleyton with Guccione have long played, and they bring results.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #520
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond reputeaussie_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Guccione/Hewitt won Federer/Wawrinka, Becker/Petzschner, Becker/Stebe, Peya/Zimonjic. Matosevic or Tomic have such results? I see one option, it is Ebden / Hewitt. But Lleyton with Guccione have long played, and they bring results.
I think the issue is that Lleyton can't play 3 days in a row anymore, look at the disaster in Germany. Should try a combo of Ebden/Guccione for the doubles and have Hewitt and Matosevic for singles for this tie and we'll go from there
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #521
country flag Givenchy

Givenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond reputeGivenchy has a reputation beyond repute

Lleyton Hewitt v Yang Tsung-Hua followed by Matt Ebden v Chen Ti

Doubles is Hewitt Guccione v Hsien Yin Peng and Hsin-Han Lee

https://twitter.com/tennisaustralia
Givenchy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #522
country flag Ausie

Tony Roche is stepping aside as DC coach. Josh Eagle take his place. Josh Eagle current Marinko Matosevic's coach.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #523
country flag Ausie

"Marinko struggled over that time, he had some really tough draws and, at this stage, he's still struggling to get over the line on the matches. "This court is also a really good court for Matt - it's quick and really helps his style of game," he said.
"He's got a winning feel and that's what we need right now."
Rafter said Australia remained wary of the Taiwanese, despite their much lower world rankings.
"These guys will come in with no pressure. They're just going to swing away and come out hitting the ball out of the middle," Rafter said.
"It's going to be a really tough assignment for our guys because they are actually really good ball strikers and they will be dangerous.
"They're a lot better than they're ranked."
Rafter said a lot depended on Hewitt winning the opening singles match.
"If he doesn't, we're going to have our backs against the wall with these guys."
Meanwhile, Rafter said Matosevic's attitude was better after he was dropped from a crucial Cup tie last year for disciplinary reasons - but he still needed to improve.
"He has certainly made a big improvement in his attitude but he's still got a way to go though," Rafter said.
"It's something that is constantly there and we are still working with that.
"We are really trying to help him for the future and sometimes it comes across as really hard - but he needs to have some hard love," Rafter said.

Lleyton Hewitt

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #524
country flag aussie_fan

Somebody please get rid of Pat now. Lleyton can't play 3 days in a row

Pity there's no live streamin
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #525
country flag RustyOz

RustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond reputeRustyOz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"....It's going to be a really tough assignment for our guys because they are actually really good ball strikers and they will be dangerous.
"They're a lot better than they're ranked...."
Rafter said.
That is wrong. They are ranked that because they can not win matches at Challenger / Tour level. What Rafter does not recognise is the depth of Men's tennis in this era.
Millman, ranked in the 200's beat Ito ranked mid 100'2, Jones beats Hanescu ranked 99 and then Melzer, ranked 29, then loses to Statham ranked 340.
At this level it depends on conditions, balls, surface.
This should be recognised.

Also, they are going to get Leytton injured again by playing him too much. It has happened previously, twice or more, and one hopes they (TA DC) have learned from experience.
RustyOz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote