Lance Armstrong set for tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #151
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Har-Tru View Post
Wiggins fulfills pretty much every criteria to be suspect of major league doping.

A time-trialist pistard who switches to road cycling and suddenly, at age 30, sky-rockets (see what I did there?) into place 4 of the TdF coming out of nowhere, only to win it three years later. Right!
Got to agree with this.The sport has long lost it's credential.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #152
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lance Armstrong admits to Doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleta View Post
Got to agree with this.The sport has long lost it's credential.

I never said that. If cycling has lost its credentials, then let's not talk about sports that have a much, much softer anti-doping approach, like... tennis.

Cycling realised it had a problem with doping and reacted by fighting it unapologetically.

Tennis had a positive in a slam final in 05, and reacted by reducing the number of tests and eliminating all non-competition blood tests.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Har-Tru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #153
country flag Noleta

Noleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond reputeNoleta has a reputation beyond repute

What cycling need to do is look hard at their schedules.You can't expect guys to be climbing up hills day after day in grueling conditions,look at the Giro,no wonder riders get so tempted to cheat.

Maybe in Tennis they will change their doping system,but for now things are good the way they are,don't fix it if it's not broken.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #154
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Har-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond reputeHar-Tru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What cycling need to do is look hard at their schedules.You can't expect guys to be climbing up hills day after day in grueling conditions,look at the Giro,no wonder riders get so tempted to cheat.

Maybe in Tennis they will change their doping system,but for now things are good the way they are,don't fix it if it's not broken.

Wow, ok...

How do you know things are good the way they are in tennis? Unless you mean that you'd rather not know the shit players are taking in order to withstand 4-5 hour-long marathons day in day out... Read my sig. Considering the state of anti-doping efforts in tennis is what it was in cycling back when Armstrong, Ullrich and co. could take anything they wanted and, as they have themselves admitted, bear no risk of being caught, how can you say with any degree of confidence tennis doesn't have a serious doping problem and that "it's not broken"?

It seems to me you cannot draw a comparison between two sports unless those two sports enforce the same strict anti-doping policies.

Secondly, the hardness of a sporting competition has nothing to do with the efficacy of doping. The point of doping is not lasting longer, professional riders could easily complete 300-km-long marathons every day at their pace (in fact, that's what they did back in the 1910s). The point of doping is riding faster than the rest. And that scenario exists whether you have 150-km-long stages with 2 climbs or 220-km-long stages with 4 climbs.

Tennis has no blood passport system, and does basically no out of competition testing.

The methods and drugs used by Armstrong in 1999 would work in tennis right now, with zero chance of being caught (not slightly surprising to anyone familiar with the topic, btw).
Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #155
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wiggins fulfills pretty much every criteria to be suspect of major league doping.

A time-trialist pistard who switches to road cycling and suddenly, at age 30, sky-rockets (see what I did there?) into place 4 of the TdF coming out of nowhere, only to win it three years later. Right!
He kinda 'vultured' it- weak course and weak opposition. No Contador, no Andy Schleck, no particularly gruelling mountains and very TT-friendly. Only Carlos Sastre's TDF had such a weak field. He will be left for dust this year.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #156
country flag Noleta

Quote:
Wow, ok...

How do you know things are good the way they are in tennis? Unless you mean that you'd rather not know the shit players are taking in order to withstand 4-5 hour-long marathons day in day out... Read my sig. Considering the state of anti-doping efforts in tennis is what it was in cycling back when Armstrong, Ullrich and co. could take anything they wanted and, as they have themselves admitted, bear no risk of being caught, how can you say with any degree of confidence tennis doesn't have a serious doping problem and that "it's not broken"?

It seems to me you cannot draw a comparison between two sports unless those two sports enforce the same strict anti-doping policies.

Secondly, the hardness of a sporting competition has nothing to do with the efficacy of doping. The point of doping is not lasting longer, professional riders could easily complete 300-km-long marathons every day at their pace (in fact, that's what they did back in the 1910s). The point of doping is riding faster than the rest. And that scenario exists whether you have 150-km-long stages with 2 climbs or 220-km-long stages with 4 climbs.
Tennis players don't necessarily need blood doping to win,yeah there is a point for lasting longer,recovering quick,but it seems only this past couple of yrs that suddenly everyone starting to accuse top players.And everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon without proof.Without talent you're screwedSo i chose to believe it's clean,more so than cycling

1910 they needed hours,days to compete a stage,now every year they seem to ride faster and faster,there is a reason why cycling needs a strict doping policies,and yet imo they'll always be behind,cause the cheat will find new ways to avoid being caught.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #157
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Tennis players don't necessarily need blood doping to win
Just like cyclists don't necessarily need blood doping to win.

People had been winning cycling races for almost a century before blood doping.

Quote:
,yeah there is a point for lasting longer,recovering quick,but it seems only this past couple of yrs that suddenly everyone starting to accuse top players.And everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon without proof.
You might have become aware of the accusations during these past two years, but this has been going on for decades really.

Operacion Puerto started in 2006, and the accused doctor, Eufemiano Fuentes, said himself there were tennis players among his clients. However, only the names of his cyclist clients have been revealed. The World Anti-Doping Agency has made repeated calls for the Spanish authorities to release the names of those footballers, tennis players etc. involved.

Quote:
Without talent you're screwed
Certainly. So? I never said doping makes you an instant slam winner.

Quote:
So i chose to believe it's clean,more so than cycling
You are free to believe that, but I'm also free to say that belief is completely unfounded and irrational.

Quote:
1910 they needed hours,days to compete a stage,now every year they seem to ride faster and faster,
I thought the issue was that stages were too hard to complete.

You can say the same thing about tennis though. I still remember the days when tennis players actually got tired, and that's despite the fact that matches were significantly shorter.

Quote:
there is a reason why cycling needs a strict doping policies,and yet imo they'll always be behind,cause the cheat will find new ways to avoid being caught.
The reason why cycling needs strict anti-doping policies is the same reason why tennis needs strict anti-doping policies.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #158
country flag Noleta

Quote:
Just like cyclists don't necessarily need blood doping to win.

People had been winning cycling races for almost a century before blood doping.

You might have become aware of the accusations during these past two years, but this has been going on for decades really.

Operacion Puerto started in 2006, and the accused doctor, Eufemiano Fuentes, said himself there were tennis players among his clients. However, only the names of his cyclist clients have been revealed. The World Anti-Doping Agency has made repeated calls for the Spanish authorities to release the names of those footballers, tennis players etc. involved.

Certainly. So? I never said doping makes you an instant slam winner.

You are free to believe that, but I'm also free to say that belief is completely unfounded and irrational.

I thought the issue was that stages were too hard to complete.

You can say the same thing about tennis though. I still remember the days when tennis players actually got tired, and that's despite the fact that matches were significantly shorter.

The reason why cycling needs strict anti-doping policies is the same reason why tennis needs strict anti-doping policies.
They do though,cycling is one of the hardest sports outthere.

Yup,and it won't surprise me if they were on some things back in the day.

But never at this rate though.It's almost ppl want it to be true.

Yeah,i read that,but it could be just adding fuel to fire,generating more sensational stories on the press.

But the implications are there.

Then you're a cynical Spanish dude.

To compete clean in such a manner.

This days,the fitness level is extremely high.

Maybe they'll introduce it one day,but guess right now they don't feel the need to do so.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #159
country flag 2003

2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute2003 has a reputation beyond repute

- Rafael Nadal, ever so "humble", - press conference after shock 4 set loss to Robeen Soderling @ 2009 French Open 4th round.

Proud member of the Anti Dull Alliance
2003 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #160
country flag Har-Tru
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
They do though,cycling is one of the hardest sports outthere.
No they don't. If you say they do, you should provide some reasons why they do.

Quote:
But never at this rate though.It's almost ppl want it to be true.
It's almost as if there are good reasons to believe it is true!

Quote:
Yeah,i read that,but it could be just adding fuel to fire,generating more sensational stories on the press.
No, it isn't... you should get informed about this, it's been around since 2006.

Quote:
But the implications are there.
No, they aren't. You are free to interpret whatever implications you want, but don't go putting words in my mouth that I never said.

Quote:
Then you're a cynical Spanish dude.
I am cynical for demanding that you back up your claims with good reasons and solid evidence (any reason, really)?

Quote:
To compete clean in such a manner.

This days,the fitness level is extremely high.
So you say that cyclists competing in such a manner points to the use of performance-enhancing drugs, but attribute the much more radical improvement in the physical performances of tennis players to "a higher fitness level".

Talk about double standards.

Quote:
Maybe they'll introduce it one day,but guess right now they don't feel the need to do so.
Right, and why would that be?

I would think having a slam finalist test positive would make them feel the need to actually improve their anti-doping policies, instead of relaxing them which is what they did.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #161
country flag Noleta

If they didn't need epo to win one of the physically hardest sports,how do you explain all this doping cases then?Rasmussen yet another one confessing.

Operation Fuentes,yeah read about it,he still refuses to give the names on his list,even the police won't give away the names,something I don't get.

We can debate all day,but cycling is more known for doping scandals than it is for the actual sport.And I still stand by my opinion that tennis is a clean sport in general.Not saying that it is 100% so,there will always be doping in any sport unfortunately.

There is no double standards imoIt's all about reputations,and cycling is worse in that department,they can't trust anyone wining on sheer power without any drugs involved.And more will continue using,the punishments are not that scary.Look at Vinokourov,was caught,got a couple of years,then there he was at the Olympics
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #162
country flag Kolya

Kolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond reputeKolya has a reputation beyond repute

Michael Rasmussen admits to doping.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mich...ears-of-doping
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #163
country flag Noleta

I think there are so many who still won't admit to doping.Maybe they should do,that way Cycling can allow the use of EPO,though with a certain limit.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #164
country flag FlameOn

FlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond reputeFlameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Radiohead's "Creep" as covered by Lance

Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #165
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Radiohead's "Creep" as covered by Lance

Best thing I've seen in youtube. And that's saying something.