♕ 2013 Australian Open ♕ - SF loss to Murray 4-6 7-6(5) 3-6 7-6(2) 2-6 - Page 56 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #826
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ♕ 2013 Australian Open ♕ - SF loss to Murray 4-6 7-6(5) 3-6 7-6(2) 2-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
Don't worry, people. After a similarly miserable performance in a GS SF last year, Roger went on to win Wimbledon . I am hoping for another French miracle this summer and I hope I can see it live as well .
This loss really didn't hurt me. I was happy with the result; given he was playing on a pusher's surface.

Looking forward to the rest of the year now, with some nice performances from our wonderful Wodgy!

So what's next, Rotterdam?
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #827
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ♕ 2013 Australian Open ♕ - SF loss to Murray 4-6 7-6(5) 3-6 7-6(2) 2-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger the Dodger View Post
This loss really didn't hurt me. I was happy with the result; given he was playing on a pusher's surface.

Looking forward to the rest of the year now, with some nice performances from our wonderful Wodgy!

So what's next, Rotterdam?
Rotterdam next, yes. That tournament should suit him much better. Looking forward to that one
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #828

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudio Spanlatine View Post
Damn i thought he was gonna last alot longer. This doesnt look too good imo. Maybe he is getting older.

We've been saying that repeatedly for the past three years now, and yes he has been getting older since then. Yet, he wins his share of tournaments, and that's what eggs us on.

Olderer is Golderer!
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Rotterdam next, yes. That tournament should suit him much better. Looking forward to that one
Indoorerer!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #830
country flag holagirl56

holagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond reputeholagirl56 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_YYZ View Post
I hate to be negative, but I'd rather he lose to Murray in a tough five-setter than (if he'd somehow won that 5th set) get annihilated by Nole in the final in straights.

I am usually able to handle his losses to Novak because I am a fan of him, too (though nowhere near as much as of Roger, obviously). But dead tired and with no serve -- I don't know that I wanted to see that.
Eh, I'd rather Fed just make a GS final on a hard court. It's been ages. Plus, I think he wanted this one really badly too, with his demeanor on the court. He was continually muttering to himself, swearing, asking for a ball on return to hit with, and then actually shouting at Murray. I honestly feel that Fed thinks a loss against Murray is less acceptable than Nadal or Novak. It may be that he just doesn't want another person who has his number.

I thought Fed might win in 4 sets because he'd pick up his level from the Tsonga match. Once I actually saw him play in the first set though... His serve was AWOL and FH unreliable. His BH, surprisingly, wasn't bad, but was neutralized by Murray's in BH to BH exchanges. ROS was a mess to begin and he didn't figure out until, what, the fourth set that he should be aggressively attacking Murray's 75mph 2nd serves. His slice returns were completely ineffective and only landed right in Murray's strike zone. I think the end of the fourth set was the longest stretch we saw the Fed we were expecting as he had a good read on Murray's serve.

Honestly, this match should never have made it to five sets. Fed stole both tiebreaks away from Murray and the sheer determination he showed at 6-5 is a testament to how much heart, desire, and grit he still has. It's too bad he couldn't have more quickly adjusted in the first otherwise the match certainly could have had a different flavor. In Set 1, Murray was only +1 while Fed was -6 or -7, I believe. Fed told the Swiss press that the cold affected his back and serve, which I completely believe. He just never found a rhythm out there and paid for it.

Even though he lost, he proved he's still a contender at Slams, but he's going to need more luck now compared to his prime. The good thing is that he's planned his schedule to really maximize his fitness. He played really well earlier in the tournament and had an explosiveness and speed that was probably worn down by his tough draw. But if he can condition a little more, he's giving himself really good chances this year.

I'm a little bummed because he really had a chance to take the match after the fourth, but he never really put together a consistent string of good play. It doesn't matter though, it was a good fight from him and he can take a lot of good things away from this tourney for the rest of the year.
holagirl56 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #831
country flag Eden
Simply the best

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen anything from the match yet as I was at work.

Congrats to Murray for reaching his 3rd AO final. The third time is the charm

It was only a matter of time until he would get a victory against Roger in a GS match. He played really well in Wimbledon last year and got the confidence of having won against him in a best of 5 match at the Olympics Final.

Beside this the pressure of having to win his first GS title is now off his back.
Maybe this will also help him a bit in the final.

Congrats also to Roger for defending his AO points from last year.

It was a tricky draw but he came through it.

There's no shame to lose in the SF of a GS against the 3rd ranked player in the world who is in the peak of his career.

As a fan of Roger you can't really ask for anything anymore after all which he gave to us in his career

I just want to enjoy it to have him around as long as he wants to play - and I think the crowd at tournaments feel the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigselber View Post
I can't help to wonder how this tournament would've ended if Djokovic and Federer swapped draws
... And if Stan would know how to use a challenge...

Well, a final against Murray or Djokovic would have been tough anyway.

It's still amazing what Roger does at his age and with all the success he had.
He could easily sit at home and enjoy the life with his lovely family instead of working hard every day and compete with players who are a few years younger than him.

His motivation and love for the sport is incredible.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyEng View Post
I know I argue a lot with fed fans, but I just want to drop by and credit you guys for sticking by your guy through the whole tournament even with tough draw. Roger did extremely well.
Thanks for your kind words.

Congrats on the victory of your player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
How can you not stick by a guy you've supported for 10 years or more ... as I know many here on this forum have?
Well said Minnie
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #832
country flag Eden
Simply the best

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #833
country flag EnriqueIG8
Som i Serem

EnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond reputeEnriqueIG8 has a reputation beyond repute

For those who missed it, I found some highlights again and uploaded them on my youtube channel.

Again, not the best quality but do-able!

Former #1 in FITD (Titles: 11 / US Open 2009 + MS Shanghai 2010 + MS Cincinatti 2011 champion)
also: Bangkok 2008, Sydney 2009, Acapulco 2009, Dubai 2009, Bĺstad 2009, Stockholm 2009, Eastbourne 2010 & Auckland 2013

Former #1 in Suicide Tennis (Titles: 2 / Won: 7)
#89 in TT Singles (Titles: 3 / CH Ortisei 2010, CH Bratislava 2010 & CH Mons 2012) | ATP Zagreb F 2013
#74 in TT Doubles (Titles: 6 / CH Rome 2011 + CH Ostrava 2011 w. vn01, CH Madrid 2012 w. Rodrigol_87, CH Sheffield 2013 w. sdtoot & CH Rome 2013 + CH Bordeaux 2013 w. Sonj1989)
EnriqueIG8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #834
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Congrats also to Roger for defending his AO points from last year.

[snip]

There's no shame to lose in the SF of a GS against the 3rd ranked player in the world who is in the peak of his career.

[snip]

I just want to enjoy it to have him around as long as he wants to play - and I think the crowd at tournaments feel the same...
Yes, defending points is important, and something I was wondering if he'd manage a few days back.

No, I was thinking there's no shame in losing to Andy under those conditions, and given the way Andy was playing. I dearly hope he can go on and win the tournament now, because it's always better to lose to the eventual winner, isn't it?

I'm amazed to see that Roger's 1st service % was as high as 60 - every time I looked, he seemed to be missing his first serve. I have to admit that once the match had started, I was convinced Andy would win it in 4. All I was concerned with at the end of the 4th set was that Roger not lose tamely after surrendering his service - winning the tiebreak was a bonus.

Oh well, when's he playing next?
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #835
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

Roger played great tennis during the first rounds and watching he trying his best as in the final of the 4th set, even not playing his best tennis makes me hopeful for the future.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #836
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Yes, defending points is important, and something I was wondering if he'd manage a few days back.

No, I was thinking there's no shame in losing to Andy under those conditions, and given the way Andy was playing. I dearly hope he can go on and win the tournament now, because it's always better to lose to the eventual winner, isn't it?
Certainly it's better to lose to the eventual winner. We have another stat for Roger to conquer - most slams either won or lost to the eventual winner. You'd perhaps think he's got this one already, being in most finals by a good margin, but no - he hasn't. Ivan Lendl lost 23 times to the eventual winner. Add eight wins and you have 31. Roger only lost 12 times to the eventual winner so far, making his total 29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
I'm amazed to see that Roger's 1st service % was as high as 60 - every time I looked, he seemed to be missing his first serve. I have to admit that once the match had started, I was convinced Andy would win it in 4. All I was concerned with at the end of the 4th set was that Roger not lose tamely after surrendering his service - winning the tiebreak was a bonus.

Oh well, when's he playing next?
I agree with you, more often than not, when I was hoping for a 1st serve I didn't get it. That was the feeling.

Next tournament is Rotterdam Indoors. In addition to Roger, we have Del Potro, Tsonga and Gasquet entered into this tournament. Plus Simon, Seppi and Kohlschreiber amoung the top-20.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #837
country flag magnoliaewan

magnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond reputemagnoliaewan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Post-match presser:
------------------------------------------

Q. Did you feel it pull away from you in the first couple games of the fifth set? Was that the turning point?
ROGER FEDERER: In a three and a half hour match, I don't know if it's the beginning of the fifth that was key, you know.
I think overall he probably created more chances than I did. I had difficulties finding you know, getting into his service games time and time again like I, you know, usually do against him.
I think he started off serving well, and then, I mean, fifth set, obviously he did well. I think he played a bit more aggressive because he did create more opportunities over and over again.
I think he was able to dig out of the first game I think it was a 30 All game and then break me the other way around, which was obviously not the start I was hoping for because I was feeling good, obviously, after winning the fourth.

Q. You spoke earlier in the week about the good manners that exist between the players. There definitely seemed to be a bit of feeling between the two of you after 6 5 in the fourth. Can you talk about that. Was there an exchange between you?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, it wasn't a big deal anyway. We just looked at each other one time. That's okay, I think, in a three and a half hour match. We were just checking each other out for bit.
No, I mean, that wasn't a big deal for me. I hope not for him.

Q. Does it feel like one that got away or one that you were always chasing?
ROGER FEDERER: Obviously I was down in the score basically from the start. Definitely it was more of a chase, you know. I was able to level it a couple of times.
Yeah, I don't know. Look, I think it was a tough match. I think I had my chances a little bit. Obviously you're going to go through a five setter with some regrets, you know.
But overall, like I mentioned, I think Andy was a bit better than I was tonight. I had to find my range a little bit early on, and then, you know, adjust my game style as well, the way I was playing.
So he did a good job, you know, of getting me there. But, you know, I was hoping to do a bit better, but overall obviously I'm pretty pleased with the tournament. I played good tennis. I'm moving well and was fit in the ten sets I played, the last two matches.
I'm upbeat about the tournament, but obviously it's disappointing, you know, going out in five. You know, it's not the first time it's happened here.

Q. Where does this leave you? Every generation goes to new levels. You have Andy and Novak at 25 hitting the ball harder. Where does this leave you now?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, nothing has changed. I've played these guys, what, 60 times, the three guys around me in the rankings. So we know each other really well. We play each other very close very often. Keep on trading wins and losses.
Novak has done probably the best job getting more wins than losses. That's why he's ranked where he is. I, you know, enjoy the matches with Rafa, Novak, and also Andy again tonight. It's nice playing five sets against him. It was tough tennis. I enjoy that.
So I go from here with a good feeling for the year. I didn't play a tournament leading in, so now obviously I know where my level is at. Also knowing I have even more time to work on my game, work on my fitness this year. It's something I'm excited about.

Q. Where do you think Andy's placed now in terms of Sunday night?
ROGER FEDERER: Obviously Novak goes in as the favorite, I would think, even though Andy beat him at the US Open.
But, I mean, maybe a day extra is going to make a difference. But it's not back to back. He has a day. He's had an easy run until the semis, until tonight. Maybe it's something that Andy needed going into the finals.
But obviously Novak is the double defending champion here. I think so at least. He's done really well again this tournament, digging himself out of the hole against Stan, coming and playing good tennis against Berdych and Ferrer.
So obviously a tough match again, and give a slight edge to Novak just because of the last couple of days.

Q. Do you think Andy has learned to deal with the setbacks when they come his way?
ROGER FEDERER: Maybe, you know. I think he's always played me pretty well over the years. He's obviously got a winning record against me. I mean, the matchup's maybe a good one for him, I'm not sure. I don't mind playing against him.
But it's normal that with time and with age you learn, you become more experienced, become physically, you know, better.
Then obviously he's put himself in that situation time and time again, you know. So obviously with the win I think at the Olympics and the US Open, maybe there's just a little bit more belief or he's a bit more calm overall.
You want to be excited, but you don't want to go overly crazy, you know, each and every point. So it seems like he has more peace when he plays out there, and in the process he has better results, I guess.

Q. Would you say tonight was your level being a little bit down or was it Andy's level being further up compared to other matches you played with him?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it depends which ones you looked at. The one at the Olympic Games, this one was better. If you look at the ones I've beaten him, this one was lower. It really depends what you compare it against.
Like I mentioned, I think it was an open match for both players. We both played pretty good. I think we both at times could have played a little bit better.
Obviously it was a game of chess out there at times as well. You do neutralize each other a lot on these courts as well when you do hit it deep and hard. It's hard to take a deep cut at the ball. So I thought it was a good match.

Q. How much did the match against Tsonga take out of you? How were you feeling coming in?
ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, a little bit, you know. But it's not an excuse for me tonight to say that I lost because of that.
But obviously I wish I could have come in like Andy, as well. Then again, you know, he beat me fair and square tonight. No regrets from me.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...121946973.html
Thanks for posting. He sounds pretty upbeat in this presser. Sounds pretty motivated to compete still. I really hope he wins at least 1 more slam...that would be really amazing...I don't even care which one.
magnoliaewan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #838
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

We all have different feelings about the final on sunday (I like Djokovic more but I also like Murray and I would like him to shut his detractors' mouth up),

but from a Roger's point of view, it might be better that Djokovic wins sunday's final to help him to keep a number-2 seed as long as possible then to have half a chance of facing Ferrer rather than Djokovic in semis (the other chance being of facing Murray, even though other players and esp. Nadal might of course be concerned from QF )

At the moment, Fed is guaranteed the number-2 seed in Indian Wells, but for the seeds in Madrid and Roma, he's just 935 points ahead of Murray. If Murray wins 800 points in the final, clearly it will be tougher to keep the number-2 seed in Madrid and Roma.

Roger will play Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells until then.

Murray will play Indian Wells, Miami and probably Monte-Carlo and/or Barcelona. He will not play in february, preferring to prepare in Florida for Indian Wells and Miami.

For the number-2 seed in Roland-Garros, Roger is 335 points behind Murray (615 points behind for the number-2 seed in Wimbledon, additional grass points considered -Fed has 2720 additional grass points atm and Murray 2490-) and 1315 points ahead of Ferrer atm.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #839
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

see you next tour Roger!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #840
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
We all have different feelings about the final on sunday (I like Djokovic more but I also like Murray and I would like him to shut his detractors' mouth up),

but from a Roger's point of view, it might be better that Djokovic wins sunday's final to help him to keep a number-2 seed as long as possible then to have half a chance of facing Ferrer rather than Djokovic in semis (the other chance being of facing Murray, even though other players and esp. Nadal might of course be concerned from QF )

At the moment, Fed is guaranteed the number-2 seed in Indian Wells, but for the seeds in Madrid and Roma, he's just 935 points ahead of Murray. If Murray wins 800 points in the final, clearly it will be tougher to keep the number-2 seed in Madrid and Roma.

Roger will play Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells until then.

Murray will play Indian Wells, Miami and probably Monte-Carlo and/or Barcelona. He will not play in february, preferring to prepare in Florida for Indian Wells and Miami.

For the number-2 seed in Roland-Garros, Roger is 335 points behind Murray and 1315 points ahead of Ferrer atm.
I'm not thinking along those lines. Every time I've been excited about a possible easy draw it hasn't materialized. In the FO I fully expect another difficult SF, either Djokovic or Nadal.