Why does the ATP give America so many events? - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #31
country flag Commander Data

Commander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond reputeCommander Data has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does the ATP give America so many events?

$$$

- Magnus Carlsen
Commander Data is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #32
country flag Brit Tennis Fan

Brit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond reputeBrit Tennis Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetSeb View Post
The US is also much bigger than Europe to be fair. So if you consider someone from, North Dakota for instance would have to travel quite far to their nearest event. (Which I think would be Cincy?) Indeed much further than someone travelling from say Serbia to Croatia etc. You kind of have to consider the US, Mexico and Canada events together in the same way as considering European events as a whole IMO.
So if we do a break down by continent we get the following figures for 2014. Included are all ATP events, the 4 Slams and the WTF

Europe - 34
North America - 13
Asia - 8
South America - 5
Australasia - 4
Africa - 1
Brit Tennis Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #33
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond reputedencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

First it's is almost as big as Europe, so you place events that they are not to near each other. Second is history, they ground breakers of Tennis being what it is now is America. Third is financial. And i don't find 11 too many, considering they have 4 main events 1 slam and 3 ATP 1000. You are saying Switzerland, it is only 42 thousand sq. km. and US has 9.9 million sq km, so comparing the two is just dumb. You don't want tennis to look like an event like a local pub, where everywhere you look there is tennis. And this is the main problem with this sports fans, they only look at the top guys and make the tour revolve around them, they wouldn't be there forever. For example Federer will not be playing any events in Switzerland this year, so what if they make 4 event in Switzerland because of Federer and Federer could care less to play in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Tennis Fan View Post
So if we do a break down by continent we get the following figures for 2014. Included are all ATP events, the 4 Slams and the WTF.

Europe - 34
North America - 13
Asia - 8
South America - 5
Australasia - 4
Africa - 1
I think this shows that Europe is the one with far too many tournaments.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #34
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not. How many top 10 players are European? Obviously the future of the sport in Europe or at least its present. More than anything, the AO should move a week and allow for more tournaments down under.

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #35
country flag ssin

ssin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond reputessin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewslave View Post
America really does not have that many when you consider the vast # of tennis players in the country. just because currently there aren't that many awesome American pros in the ATP does not discount the fact that there are many many many academies and players and and an organized college atmosphere for tennis in the country.

and as another person mentioned so so so many greats from America, more than anywhere else. just in the Open Era alone : Connors, Mccenroe, Ashe, Billy King Jean, Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Michael CHang, Andy Roddick

not to mention outside of the Open Era one of the greastest ever was Bill Tilden

United STates is one of the places with earliest roots for tennis too, US Open being one of the oldest tournaments around

and really there aren't THAT many tournaments in the U.S. I mean for gods sake the United States is as large as the entire continent of Europe, 11 tournaments spread across is not that insane

given the size, history, and stature of the country, it's not remarkable whatsoever

a better question would be what is going on with the void with Russian tennis tournaments or maybe why does Spain have so limited big events with such a huge field coming from that area
good post, saved me some typing time. USA has huge importance for tennis. Unfortunately, the current lack of American superstars is not so good for the sport, but it does not change any of the things you mentioned. And you are so right USA can only be compared to Europe as a whole. As far as I am concerned, the thread is closed.
ssin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #36
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

American women are easy.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote