Ivan Lendl the best coaching hire of all time? - Page 5 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #61
country flag rocketassist
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ivan Lendl the best coaching hire of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
He beat him 3-1 at the USO for pity's sake.
Nadal fans claim tiredness for the 08 beating there but Murray played 4hrs with Isner a day before that match while Roddick bared his backside for Rafa 6-2 6-2 6-1 on Ashe.

They can't have it both ways.
rocketassist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #62
country flag MIMIC

MIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond reputeMIMIC has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing different about Murray is how he sometimes bashes (more brainlessly than Tsonga sometimes). And I wouldn't that that has made him a better player...just a marginally less predictable one.
MIMIC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #63
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post
Nadal fans claim tiredness for the 08 beating there but Murray played 4hrs with Isner a day before that match while Roddick bared his backside for Rafa 6-2 6-2 6-1 on Ashe.

Uhm, Nadal was tired not because of the previous match, it was an accumulated fatigue of sweeping most of clay titles, RG, Queens, Wimby, OG, Toronto, semis at Cinci. What was Murray doing during that time? Eating cooking and drinking warm milk at home. He was fresh and didn't play too many matches, especially on clay for obvious reasons.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #64
Banned!

rocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond reputerocketassist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
Uhm, Nadal was tired not because of the previous match, it was an accumulated fatigue of sweeping most of clay titles, RG, Queens, Wimby, OG, Toronto, semis at Cinci. What was Murray doing during that time? Eating cooking and drinking warm milk at home. He was fresh and didn't play too many matches, especially on clay for obvious reasons.
Nadal did have weeks off after Wimbledon and a week before US Open. He went into that tournament flying after becoming #1 and winning gold.

For a 'tired' player he was unusually passive in the match and let Murray dictate throughout. The latter felt the full force of taking him down as he was pretty weary himself coming out against a fresh Fed, who did school him don't get me wrong.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #65
country flag howyesno

howyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond reputehowyesno has a reputation beyond repute

is it possible to somehow get lendl involved with monfils and make a reality show? please?

Doesn't like:
Tomic, Almagro, Murray
howyesno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #66
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketassist View Post

That's rubbish, of course. I was so hopeful Murray could win Wimbledon 2011 and then he imploded after a missed FH in set 2 in the SF . I almost deskpalmed at work..

On topic though, until RN comes back and Murray annihilates his famous backside, I'll withhold judgement although my preferences are obvious. It's funny how Nadull is the player who brings out the best of Murray's game (when he decides to bring it to the show).

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On "vulturing" Shanghai
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrows View Post
lucky win with Mayer, easy draw, Simon choked, Dull with appendicitis, Nole to become father, closed roof from organizers, Del Potro injured, Hrbaty retired
plenty to pick from
On patriotism and the DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustaceok View Post
Barbados is in the same division as Spain. Unbelievable.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #67
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looner View Post
That's rubbish, of course. I was so hopeful Murray could win Wimbledon 2011 and then he imploded after a missed FH in set 2 in the SF . I almost deskpalmed at work..

On topic though, until RN comes back and Murray annihilates his famous backside, I'll withhold judgement although my preferences are obvious. It's funny how Nadull is the player who brings out the best of Murray's game (when he decides to bring it to the show).
That's strange..you'd think Mandy would have better H2H against Nadal if it were the case. He can't even manage positive H2H on hardcourts and lost to Nadal indoors a couple of years ago.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #68
Banned!

No but it is 4-4 on outdoor HC and he has lost some very tight ones to Nadal especially AO 2007 which was a corker of a match.

When Muzza hits top form (first two sets at USO 08, first set of AO 10 when both were playing incredibly well and Tokyo last 2 sets) he has hurt Rafa on HC. However I agree he wouldn't have been able to handle him at USO 2010- even Nole got a beating there.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #69
country flag Whiznot

Whiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond reputeWhiznot has a reputation beyond repute

The move to Lendl was a good one but it can't compare to Djokovic's brilliant decision to hire Todd Martin, LOL.
Whiznot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #70
country flag Pratik

Pratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond reputePratik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
Lendl has been instrumental, that has been obvious. And it´s good for the excitement of the game that Muzza managed to get over the bump in the road. Still, I can´t help but wonder what the result would have been if Lendl had been the trainer of Djokovic instead. That would have probably been the scariest and most ruthless player-coach duo of all time.
Completely disagree.

Arguably the biggest reason why the Lendl-Murray duo has been such a success is because Lendl was in a similar situation mentally as Murray was when they started and Lendl had managed to turn it around.
Pratik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #71
country flag retister

retister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond reputeretister has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Annacone?
retister is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #72
country flag Boris Franz Ecker

Boris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond reputeBoris Franz Ecker has a reputation beyond repute

No, Lendl knew that Federer would get older. Then there was luck with Nadals career end.
No surprise that Andy Murray can deliver now.
Boris Franz Ecker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #73
country flag Zepploydath

Zepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond reputeZepploydath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
That's strange..you'd think Mandy would have better H2H against Nadal if it were the case. He can't even manage positive H2H on hardcourts and lost to Nadal indoors a couple of years ago.
They haven't play in well over year, and even then the last set they played was 6-0.
Zepploydath is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #74
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by End da Game View Post
not really, I think his impact is overrated

murray was getting into slam finals way before he arrived, and he's doing the same now. Only difference is that murray is a few years older so he's at his very peak right now and naturally he's matured. As well as that, the competition around him has fallen a bit, federer is a few years older now and nadal is obviously not around to kick him out at the semi-final stage of tournaments like he usually does
This.

Agassi hiring Brad Gilbert is one of the best (and Gil Reyes, although he wasn't his coach).
Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #75
country flag Aletheian

Aletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond reputeAletheian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
He's a good coach.

But lets not get carried away.

Every tom dick and harry in Scotland was saying that Murray had to improve his serve, especially 2nd serve, and be more aggressive in the points and rallies before he even got appointed as coach.
Oh, but were it not for Lendl, Murray would have never improved his serve. Take Del Potro for instance. Everyone in Argentina is saying the areas he needs to work on in order to critically enhance his game, but neither he nor his coach seem to listen. The same occurred to Murray before changing his coach.

Lendl is the reason why Murray is so successful now.
That's just brutal trolling from Warlocq. Gave the mug hope by getting broken serving for the match, proceeded to gift match points, and when the moment is final, snatches the victory like a crocodile clamping down its leg on a struggling deer.
Aletheian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote