"Speed up the courts and general court speed Thread" - Page 92 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Vote for speeding up the courts or against it!

Speed up the courts 298 80.54%
Leave them as they are 72 19.46%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #1366
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grinding wins agains, speed up the courts or the sport will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajFederer View Post
The OP was right on it.. We just saw tsonga. Federer match which is of high quality.. Had they speed up the courts.. That match would have been even mor better
Definitely.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #1367
country flag cveks

cveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond reputecveks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajFederer View Post
The OP was right on it.. We just saw tsonga. Federer match which is of high quality.. Had they speed up the courts.. That match would have been even mor better
With faster court we would have more aces and less exchanges - so no , match would be worse.

If Berdych can't keep a double break lead I'm done with tennis.
Djokovic took set 6-4 against Berdych.

Quote:
“Does Djokovic resemble myself?” Agassi said. “No, he is even better. He defends really well, while I struggled more in that element of the game. Novak looks totally relaxed when defending, completely calm and the quality of his return is incredible. He is also extremely flexible in his game, which is facilitated by his ability to anticipate his rival’s moves. That is why I think he is a much more versatile player than I was and he is also much more athletic.”
cveks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #1368
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

JarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond reputeJarkaFish has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisOnWood View Post
Not all Carpet courts were superfast
I miss carpet.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #1369
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it´s not just the speed that is uniform these days, too many tournaments employ a fairly high bounce if you ask me. Mixing up the speed and the bounce from tournament to tournament would go a long way in making the tennis more varied.
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #1370
country flag August

August has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond reputeAugust has a reputation beyond repute

Like mentioned in this thread, last year's 6-hour AO final was very long to watch, in my opinion too long. Compare it to yesterday's Fed-Tsonga QF that lasted about 4 hours. In my opinion, five setters should mostly last less than five hours. Marathon matches aren't very TV friendly, and also the player is dead in the next match, unless he has the egg. And Fed-Tsonga was still as exciting as last year's final, actually the first four sets were tighter as in last year's final. But at least didn't have the "When does this end?" feeling like I had during last year's final.

Stan Wawrinka
The Saviour of Tennis
Australian Open 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic-Murray dominance in Slams
Monte Carlo 2014: Ended Nadal-Djokovic dominance in Masters
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #1371
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
I miss carpet.
you're 24 dude
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #1372
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq View Post
you're 24 dude
And?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #1373
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Like mentioned in this thread, last year's 6-hour AO final was very long to watch, in my opinion too long. Compare it to yesterday's Fed-Tsonga QF that lasted about 4 hours. In my opinion, five setters should mostly last less than five hours. Marathon matches aren't very TV friendly, and also the player is dead in the next match, unless he has the egg. And Fed-Tsonga was still as exciting as last year's final, actually the first four sets were tighter as in last year's final. But at least didn't have the "When does this end?" feeling like I had during last year's final.
Not only because of the grinding and the pushing, last year's AO final was 6 hours was due to endless butt-pickings and ball-bouncing.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
atennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #1374
country flag JarkaFish
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post
Not only because of the grinding and the pushing, last year's AO final was 6 hours was due to endless butt-pickings and ball-bouncing.
True, but the grinding and pushing is what makes them takes those breaks to pick their ass and ball bounce.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #1375
country flag atennisfan

atennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeatennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
True, but the grinding and pushing is what makes them takes those breaks to pick their ass and ball bounce.
I guess you are right. They needed to catch their breath.
People need to wake up. Olderer is not winning anymore slams - neither is he going to become #1.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #1376
country flag G.100sic

G.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond reputeG.100sic has a reputation beyond repute

Damn those slow courts, today's semi would have been over in less then an hour otherwise!
G.100sic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1377
country flag xelena

xelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond reputexelena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by serveandvolley80 View Post
Posters like Cveks with their uninformed opinions and complete bias and love towards one player display a huge problem with individual sports to begin with, Once Djokovic is gone so is another person watching the sport. The short sighted nature of the ATP to promote 4 players as the be all end all of the sport is what is going to kill it because there is no long term strategy and focus on the youngsters and the route the game is going.

With a variety of surfaces slow and fast players would not have to destroy their bodies to entertain ignorant casuals who will stop watching as soon as a player they have not heard of outside of the top 3 or 4. It does not favor the sport to have one of the big stars being crippled and injured the entire year because hes the energizer bunny with not enough brains to think of his playing career beyond his mid 20's. Some of these guys have to be saved from themselves. Who else is tired of athletes Lance Armstronging their way to victory?

As far as court homogenization, can you image any other sport killing its own variety because they think its better? American football as an example, for fans here, would you watch if all of a sudden the passing game dies and every team relies on their running game only, you would only see 3 or 4 passes a game tops. Just slow defensive football. I guess the same could be applies to soccer though i have not followed that sport for a while so i do not know if teams copying each others style has become a problem or not.
Interesting. How come all of a sudden there is a homogenization ? what is this crappy analysis anyway ?? the times have changed and it's not all surface -surface. Have to mention that, while there was the domination Fed Nadal for few years no body cried this much , everyone was in admiration of these great god like players. It is only now that there's Djokovic Murray as well that some people started to cry .
The fact that there's Djokovic Murray who are also versatile players on all surfaces beats the theory that it is uniform (the surface or the game itself)

So, They will give you super fast surface tournament and then what ? some serve bots will reach the final and it will be deadly boring will last 1h 1/2 and what? We might as well give them wooden racquets so they'll have to slow down ), and will run less... and it'll be again like nastase ,mcenroe ! no injuries , no daily athletic prep. physios nothing..

The surface is not that much of an issue as much as the players are.. How come the top 3 top 4 are versatile players and they excel on every court? logically nadal should have never won Wimb, Indian wells, etc.. neither Nole .. but we saw also big servers like berdych ,soderling reach the final and we saw what happened to them ..
xelena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #1378
country flag atennisfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelena View Post
Interesting. How come all of a sudden there is a homogenization ? what is this crappy analysis anyway ?? the times have changed and it's not all surface -surface. Have to mention that, while there was the domination Fed Nadal for few years no body cried this much , everyone was in admiration of these great god like players. It is only now that there's Djokovic Murray as well that some people started to cry .
The fact that there's Djokovic Murray who are also versatile players on all surfaces beats the theory that it is uniform (the surface or the game itself)

So, They will give you super fast surface tournament and then what ? some serve bots will reach the final and it will be deadly boring will last 1h 1/2 and what? We might as well give them wooden racquets so they'll have to slow down ), and will run less... and it'll be again like nastase ,mcenroe ! no injuries , no daily athletic prep. physios nothing..

The surface is not that much of an issue as much as the players are.. How come the top 3 top 4 are versatile players and they excel on every court? logically nadal should have never won Wimb, Indian wells, etc.. neither Nole .. but we saw also big servers like berdych ,soderling reach the final and we saw what happened to them ..
There are so many wrongs in this post.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #1379
country flag Matt01

Matt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atennisfan View Post

Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #1380
country flag asmazif

asmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond reputeasmazif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
tbh, there's pretty much a maximum of one.
Henman / Edberg / Stich / Safin / Gambill / Grosjean / Malisse / Gonzo / Llodra / Santoro / Rafter / Agassi / Schalken / Nováček / Rosewall / Ashe / H-T Lee / Kuerten / Boetsch / Pavel / Sundström / Björkman / Scud / El Aynaoui / Arazi / Calleri / Sampras / Nalbandian / Mosquito / Srichaphan / Pioline
asmazif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote