Djokovic on Armstrong, cycling, doping etc - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #256
country flag Saberq

Saberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond reputeSaberq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Djokovic on Armstrong, cycling, doping etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
And everyone isnt doping on the same level either. Those that have the most money can buy the best doctors/drugs.
steroids are cheap dude..........for those guys they can buy anything...
Saberq is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #257
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serverer View Post
And everyone isnt doping on the same level either. Those that have the most money can buy the best doctors/drugs.
True that as well.
And it helps to have an infrastructure in place where you can transport frozen blood across a continent and get advance warnings on doping controls.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #258
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll have to go a little scientific here, but essentially what EPO does is it increases the hematocrit value of the blood, which is the percentage of red blood cells. Since red blood cells are essential in the oxygen uptake of the body, which is crucial in endurance sports.
So what blood vector doping does, it gives a larger performance boost to athletes with a low hematocrit value. Athletes with naturally high levels of hematocrit (in a more innocent time, we might have called them innocent) have very little to gain by blood vector doping.
But is the doping putting the "low" guys at a superior level than the naturally "high" guys or just at the same level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
You're looking at it the wrong way around. It's not those that matter that are doing it, rather you only know the cyclist who dope heavily, because those who race clean finish in the pack (or never got a chance to become pro).
And that's not really fair, is it?
That's true, but being biologically superior is not fair either.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #259
country flag erickmartins
Not exactly average.

erickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond reputeerickmartins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift36188 View Post
That's true, but being biologically superior is not fair either.
So you presume there's only fairness in sport when it's between identical twins? Sport is about being naturally gifted, but also about hard work and accomplishment. Doping goes against everything I mentioned.

Titles: Astana 2 CH '11, Challenger Tour Finals '11, Kuala Lumpur '12 (w/Dudisela75), Bressuire Futures '13 (w/Marita)

Finals: Fürth CH '11, Orleans CH '11, Petange CH '12, TT Euro '12 (w/Vilnietč)

SF: Australian Open '12, Memphis '12
erickmartins is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #260
country flag redshift36188

redshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond reputeredshift36188 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmartins View Post
So you presume there's only fairness in sport when it's between identical twins? Sport is about being naturally gifted, but also about hard work and accomplishment. Doping goes against everything I mentioned.
I think these days doping alone is not enough, you need the hard work as well.

My point is that there is no fairness in sports, as in any competitive system, only in small groups.

So I rather put the emphasis on what the doping does to the quality of the sport. In cycling I think it improves, in tennis it decreases as it favors grinding over skilled play.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #261
country flag Trollicki

Trollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond reputeTrollicki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiebreak100 View Post
Bbc 5 live just did a small segment on possible doping in tennis. They had a guy on from the tennis anti doping agency who said they hope to possibly introduce blood passports by the end of 2013. Good interview, they pressed the guy on a few areas of concern. A link should be available later.
This I found extremely interesting. Does someone have a link of this interview?
Trollicki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #262
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonac View Post
even worse, it makes you an idiot.
If thinking Djoker is a punk and Lance is still a hero regardless of his admission of taking performance enhancing drugs which, the entire tour was taking along with him...then eh, I'm happy to be an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Rainbow View Post
Prior to working with doctor Ferrari, Armstrong raced the Tour four times and managed to finish only once (just inside the top 50).
Cleanish (he wasn't blood doping yet before his cancer, buth did all the steroids, epo, hgh and testosterone) he was an average cyclist.

Are you really unaware of how Armstrong scammed the cancer community by creating a separate, for-profit company using the Livestrong name and logo??

Here's some reading material:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor....html?page=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/sp...anted=all&_r=0

Whatever argument you were trying to make, you lost when you didn't use the word liar when you called Lance the greatest.

Shame, all that time waste reading about Binda, Coppi, Bartali, Merckx, Anquetil, de Vlaeminck, Hinault.
All that time watching the Giro, Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, Omloop het Volk...

I could have just gotten all my cycling knowledge from the Toronto Sun like you.

And a clue to you, stick to what you know.
I know all I need to know. After years of following sports of every type, I know a hater when I see one. You are blind hater, you probably were so pissed when Lance broke the TDF record to become cyclings GOAT.

Now you are just spewing up all the hatred and angst you've had built up over the past decade and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko05 View Post
Touche
If this was a fencing match, it would have been long decided in my favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Armstrong is now a ZERO Tour de France winner and rightly removed from the cycling record books. He is cyclings answer to Ben Johnston. Many believed in the man and now realise he was a false idol whose achievements were fueled by drugs.
Eh not really a fair comparison. It wasn't like every sprinter was taking performance enhancers whereas on the tour they were...making it an even playing field. Thus, I would say Armstongs achievements stand, even if the record books have erased them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJules View Post
Love the comedy.
I try to spice up my ramblings with humor, also gifs from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
LOL

Novak will be an all-time great by the time he retires. He is only 25.

Armstrong doped and Djokovic didn't. Small difference .
LOL - and people are calling me biased and crazy. Novak will retire before 30, he can't take the punishment that playing his style forces him to bear.

No Djoker just fakes injuries and etc. as methods to gain unfair advantages in matches.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #263
country flag Time Violation
Slacker

Time Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond reputeTime Violation has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, you hit the rock bottom and started to dig... happy digging I guess
“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #264
country flag tektonac

tektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond reputetektonac has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
If thinking Djoker is a punk and Lance is still a hero regardless of his admission of taking performance enhancing drugs which, the entire tour was taking along with him...then eh, I'm happy to be an idiot.
your happiness makes me happy too.
tektonac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #265
country flag itsmeagain

itsmeagain is on a distinguished road

The eyes are on novak at the moment. The sky news segment on his match was introduced with "novak refused to answer questions about recovery"......

I think he is legally clean and just doing old school methods but I dont know. If there is a doping list and some new variant that is not on it - "legally" you can take it.

I just wish he replaced the word legally with morally. I'm a brit - You gotta win fair. lol
itsmeagain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #266
country flag BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond reputeBauerAlmeida has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post

LOL - and people are calling me biased and crazy. Novak will retire before 30, he can't take the punishment that playing his style forces him to bear.

No Djoker just fakes injuries and etc. as methods to gain unfair advantages in matches.
Few players on tour are as solid from both wings as Djokovic. He has amazing ground-strokes and can play offensive tennis. He is not like Ferrer whose game is 95% grinding. So no, he will not retire before 30.

He doesn't fake injuries. He had a lot of problems early in his career. And the methods aren't unfair if they're not banned. Every player can use them. Unlike Armstrong blood doping and EPO. Those were banned.
BauerAlmeida is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #267
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollicki View Post
This I found extremely interesting. Does someone have a link of this interview?
The interview is with Stuart Miller, the Executive Director of ITF's Science and Technical Department - basically the head of ITF's anti-doping programme.

I posted it in the other doping thread here, but for ease of reference I'll post it here as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q1g66

Tennis section starts at 5.30. Interview with Miller at 9.20. Enjoy his rather unconvincing answers to some probing questions!
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #268
country flag Han Solo

Han Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond reputeHan Solo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeagain View Post
The eyes are on novak at the moment. The sky news segment on his match was introduced with "novak refused to answer questions about recovery"......

I think he is legally clean and just doing old school methods but I dont know. If there is a doping list and some new variant that is not on it - "legally" you can take it.

I just wish he replaced the word legally with morally. I'm a brit - You gotta win fair. lol
It's rather unfair of Sky here to target Djokovic just because he prefers his training methods to be kept private.

But it's great that the issue of doping in tennis is finally getting some exposure.
Han Solo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #269
country flag philosophicalarf

philosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond reputephilosophicalarf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q1g66

Tennis section starts at 5.30. Interview with Miller at 9.20. Enjoy his rather unconvincing answers to some probing questions!
They didn't even ask him at all about the two biggest weaknesses in tennis testing: no testing on slam off days, that allow people to dope in tournament with zero risk, and the almost complete lack of out-of-competition testing.

The ITF loves to quote the total number of tests it makes, but almost all are in-competition, ie useless. As Armstrong said, those hold no fear at all for the doper (because they know the timing and can thus make sure there's nothing in their systems to test positive for).

Cycling in the middle of last decade was in the same situation tennis is now, and had realised that for out-of-competition testing to work at all, it needed to have enormous volume (they do over 30x as many as tennis). I think possibly the ITF is making that same transition - Nadal has said he had 4 out of comp tests last month, and Seppi had 3. The norm in previous seasons has been an average under 1.0 per year.
philosophicalarf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #270
country flag zcess81

zcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond reputezcess81 has a reputation beyond repute

Now they need to re-examine Armstrong's moon landing, because, as they say: "once a cheat, always a cheat."

David Ferrer - Leyton Hewitt - David Nalbandian - Marcos Baghdatis - Janko Tipsarevic - Tommy Haas

AJDE NOLE!
zcess81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote