2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez! - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #196
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Australia, new adventure begins in Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
GM is different, too many trolls and haters who aim to make other fans mad by saying mean things about pretty much every player. I try to not care about whatever they have to say.
If you can dismiss the GM comments as trolls' mumbo jumbos, why not do the same when you stumble upon similar comments on French websites, even more so if you not sure to fully grasp their meaning?

Quote:
I do wonder. So why?
I can only come up with the fact that this is an English forum, maybe the French rather hang out in the French forums? I don't know.
When I started posting in the Simon forum, half of the regular posters were French and pretty much fluent in English. Those French posters were also the ones that kept the Tsonga and Monfils forums alive. They're almost all gone now. Wonder why.

Quote:
Of course I don't believe it. But since I don't get to watch French TV, I don't feel confident enough to say that's a total lie.

But come to think of it, of course he's on French TV, he's playing all his matches on Chatrier last year. I do notice that he played more matches on Chatrier than Tsonga in the first 3 rounds.

But my point is, here in the US, we don't really know. I thought I know since I read whatever that I can get a hand on, which is very little to begin with. So I'm sure my perception is only based on a fraction of the whole reality.
It's not only a lie, that statement doesn't make sense. From start to finish of the event, each of the seven show courts has its own HD stream that is displayed on TV on top of the two regular channels that focus on the two main courts. In other words, it's only the OOP that decides whose match gets air time and the last time Simon played on a no-show court.. well, I'm not even sure it ever happened. I'd take a wild stab and say those US commentators were not exactly Simon fans.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #197
country flag turtle-rn

turtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond reputeturtle-rn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
Gilles doesn't like to be in the flashlight and I think he's fine with that situation.Nobody blames him. He may not get as much attention as others but that's what he wants too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulage View Post
Gilles doesn't want to have the life of Jo or Gael. For exemple he refuses the adverts, he refuses to talk about him too much. He often repeat he's happy not to be them.
+3

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

turtle-rn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #198
country flag Casp83

Casp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond reputeCasp83 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleSimonAddict View Post
I don't know. I think there is something to it. Why would the US commentators say it if there wasn't some truth to it? It's not like it benefits them in any way by saying it. It may not be entirely true, but perception is reality and if there is any truth to it or the perception of that being the case, then there must be some truth to it. And as you can see, several of us get that perception.

For me personally, I get the sense of it and see it. The FFT seems to much prefer to gush over Monfils and Tsonga these days than Simon. They like guys who are flashy and have pizazz in their game. Who are aggressive and have a lot of power and take the initiative to when rallies rather than counterpunch. Simon is just that other French guy that's out there doing his thing.

Since he offers a no frills approach to tennis (in their eyes) and, admittedly, is pretty subdued on the court, unless he's angry or fidgety of course, showing very little emotion following good shots and not being a braggart, they don't tend to pay him as much attention or mind. That's the way it comes off to me. It was a lot like Nikolay Davydenko compared to Safin and just in general. A great player not payed much attention or at least the attention he deserved given his ranking and caliber as a player. Basically Simon is taken for granted in my, and some others, opinion is the feeling and perception and the FFT and press etc. don't tend to make it that hard to believe that that is the case. At least not these days.

I don't agree with you either.
Clearly, the US commentators don't know much about him or his tennis when he's playing at his best (during the Fish match at the Us Open for example, one commentator asking to the other guy if Gilles always played this way and he answered "yes" whereas he had a shoulder injury and played at about 50% lol, it's just one example) and they don't live in France anymore so...
Also, he's generally well appreciated and is considered as a "good customer" in interviews by the french medias because he's rather an intelligent guy and generally describe very well his matches (i've read some interesting particular interviews from him in l'Equipe Magazine as well).
But, he's clearly less known than Tsonga, Monfils and Gasquet in France by the general public and has slightly less medias coverage because he's less charismatic and is lacking great results in GS particularly at Roland Garros.
Casp83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #199
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle-rn View Post
If you can dismiss the GM comments as trolls' mumbo jumbos, why not do the same when you stumble upon similar comments on French websites, even more so if you not sure to fully grasp their meaning?
That's bcos it's always the same idiots that are trolling the GM, you get to know them so well that you know whatever they said are nonsenses. But in the French websites, I don't pay as much attention to who's the regulars so I don't tend to censor the posters as much. Perhaps I should.

Quote:
When I started posting in the Simon forum, half of the regular posters were French and pretty much fluent in English. Those French posters were also the ones that kept the Tsonga and Monfils forums alive. They're almost all gone now. Wonder why.
Oh, I see. And may I say the Frenchies here speak very well English, to be clear I wasn't suggesting that they are not in here bcos of their language ability, only bcos of their preference. I sometimes want to post a line or 2 on those French sites too, but I usually give up after trying for a while to work out the sentence, fearing I would make a fool of myself.

Quote:
It's not only a lie, that statement doesn't make sense. From start to finish of the event, each of the seven show courts has its own HD stream that is displayed on TV on top of the two regular channels that focus on the two main courts. In other words, it's only the OOP that decides whose match gets air time and the last time Simon played on a no-show court.. well, I'm not even sure it ever happened. I'd take a wild stab and say those US commentators were not exactly Simon fans.
True. And very obviously that US tennis commentators aren't Simon fans. If you look at the stars in US tennis, you will find a pattern, big servers or spoiled brats, or both (Roddick/Fish/Harrison...). You don't get famous in US if you are quiet and have counter-punching game. Of course I don't believe a single thing they said about Simon or a lot of other tennis players. But like GillesAddict said, the perception their BS created usually painted Gilles in a very negative way. It's a very sad thing for the fans in this part of the world. Granted there are exceptions, every year in USO, the NYTimes will write articles about the players and I've read several that was written on Gilles and they are very nice true one, that is because the writer actually spent time researching and talked to Gilles and the people around him to get the clear picture of things. That's a rare thing in the commentators world. For example, the commentators always said Gilles' family don't travel with him much if at all, that's probably bcos they never find them in the stand. But I think they actually are with him quite a lot, Karine always go to the Spring and Summer US swings, she's always with him in Germany during summers, she's there in most of the French tournaments if not all, I saw her couples of years in Rome in the stands, last year they were in S.A. before IW, this year they are in Australia. That's at least half of the season there. You won't know if you just look at the stands, but I always noticed her present in itw/news or simply just spot her at the stands far away from the player box. She's always there. Clearly, commentators know little but they pass out their words like that's the only truth.

Last edited by lalaland : 01-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #200
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Montpellier draw is out:

(8) Paire vs Qualifier
(WC) Mannarino vs Darcis
Mathieu vs Kukushkin
(4) Simon vs Bye

(7) Troicki vs (WC) Pouille
Hajek vs Sela
Qualifier vs Llodra
(2) Tipsarevic vs Bye

Can't say if the draw is good or bad, Gilles doesn't like playing fellow frenchman, Mathieu on R2 and Paire on QF can be really tricky ( Gilles has a negative H2H with both), but I guess SF's or even the final if he's playing well are pretty doable.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #201
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond reputesammy01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Winter European Indoors, Allez!

Cant really complain at the draw, all the tougher seeds in the other half and Monfils. With 10 of the 28 players in the draw French, he was going to draw some french players along the way.

I'm hoping for a SF minimum.

He is also in the doubles draw. Just think how much money Simon has earned over the years with all the 1st round loser doubles money he has collected lol.

Quote:
You don't show much these days, I get so fucking cold. He moves like the sunset, god who painted that
Follow me on twitter I talk loads of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #202
country flag Nagyovafan

Nagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond reputeNagyovafan has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh the idea of a Paire-Simon quarterfinal makes me excited.
Benoit Paire
Nagyovafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #203
country flag Kezzi

Kezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond reputeKezzi has a reputation beyond repute

Paire & Gilou will also play doubles in Rotterdam.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #204
country flag Gillouthe best

Gillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond reputeGillouthe best has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzi View Post
Paire & Gilou will also play doubles in Rotterdam.
, I love Benoît also, nice to see Gillou gets along with him. Here in Montpellier he is playing with Flo Serra, they play Cerretani/Shamasdin on R1.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #205
country flag GilleSimonAddict

GilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond reputeGilleSimonAddict has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the team of Simon/Chardy myself. Chardy has the serve and Simon has the baseline game. I believe they've had the most success of anyone he's paired with recently too.
GilleSimonAddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #206
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Gilles, hope he does well on home soil!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #207
country flag MsTree

MsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond reputeMsTree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
Just think how much money Simon has earned over the years with all the 1st round loser doubles money he has collected lol.
That did make me genuinely LOL!

Hi everyone - sorry I've been awol from MTF for a while Back more regularly now I hope!

Gillou ~~~~~ & ~~~~~ Andy
MsTree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #208
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

just a word to say that even though I'm not a fan, I really admired Gilles in his match against Monfils.

I felt like writing "great match" on GM but I was too busy at something else to comment.

Then I saw on Tignor's blog that there had been some unpleasant comments on this match.

I really think it's unfair because this match was a great display of bravery and tennis expertise imo, esp. from Gilles.

Thought about writing it here as I also had to make a comment in Monfils' section of the forum

I hope for you that Gilles will have a better health in next months

PS : Gilles will not have to face Mathieu in second round as Mathieu has been moved to the number 8 seed, Gilles will face the winner of Kukushkin-Brugues Davi, which is much easier imo especially as Kuku just comes back from a long injury break, and Simon doesn't like to play Mathieu.
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #209
country flag mike s.

mike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond reputemike s. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duong View Post
just a word to say that even though I'm not a fan, I really admired Gilles in his match against Monfils.

I felt like writing "great match" on GM but I was too busy at something else to comment.

Then I saw on Tignor's blog that there had been some unpleasant comments on this match.

I really think it's unfair because this match was a great display of bravery and tennis expertise imo, esp. from Gilles.

Thought about writing it here as I also had to make a comment in Monfils' section of the forum

I hope for you that Gilles will have a better health in next months

PS : Gilles will not have to face Mathieu in second round as Mathieu has been moved to the number 8 seed, Gilles will face the winner of Kukushkin-Brugues Davi, which is much easier imo especially as Kuku just comes back from a long injury break, and Simon doesn't like to play Mathieu.
Thanks duong. For me, it wasn't so much the GM comments that bothered me, that's to be expected because many are just trying to get a rise out of people. It was that tennis journalists and commentators on twitter and ESPN were trashing both players and the match even though it was clear that both players were struggling with injuries and giving it their all. It's a shame to me when people who play or cover the sport for a living don't appreciate all styles of play even if it's not their preferred style. Darren Cahill, who I usually like, was one of the worst with this match and it was incredibly disappointing.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #210
country flag lalaland

lalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond reputelalaland has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Duong, means a lot to hear it from you.
lalaland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote